Tidying up the new -62.

Balance?
Production?
Good question, but not a very big deal.
There are also half - depth holes on the inside of the scales. Not sure yet if they align with the extra in the tang, but look like they could be used to insert an alignment pin.

It may be some sort of "hold" mark for the machining of the scale, not really sure.

Good idea on the heat!
I have stainless standing by, but was just thinking the standard shiny is not going to look good or fit with the theme. Will try that too.

Final coat of Tung oil applied.
Also did 2 coats Fiebing's neatsfoot on the sheath for good measure.

No new pics yet, but I torched the heads of some SS round-head Philips screws, and dropped a dab of household oil on each to help 'em cool.
Gonna try to rig something up to get the out-side of the nuts end ends of the bolt shafts tonight.
I'm thinking to give the tang one more coat of the butcher-block oil, then rub it over the scales, too.
Hopefully I can button it all back up tomorrow and get some glamour shots before it goes and gets roughed up.

Clever, and looks good.
However, do remember that high-tempering or annealing hardened stainless steels (depends what kind of hardware you bought) can make them stainful again. At least with the blade steels, they aren't fully stainless until they are heat-treated. If you use the higher tempering temps you lose some of the stain protection.

SS glows red at about 900F, and shouldn't see any adverse affects to short-term exposure to temps in the 1300F range. I don't know about Xr6, but as soon as I saw red on one part of the bolt, I moved the torch around to a subsequent potion. Only took about 5 seconds to have the whole head aglow once red was seen.
Of course, I wasn't doing it in a dark room, so it may have been glowing before I was able to see it.
I'm going to assume that I didn't do any serious damage to the HT. But, if I did, I can pop the black-oxide ones back in or use another set of SS should they begin to show signs of corrosion.

No before pics of the bolts, so here is a side-by-side :

suqOLdu.jpg

New SS, 3 torched stainless, and a factory black oxide.

Will have to keep a watch for rust :poop: for me that's the only reason for me changing the hardware :p:p

No before pics of the bolts, so here is a side-by-side :

suqOLdu.jpg

New SS, 3 torched stainless, and a factory black oxide.
Looks good ! I just let mine air cool . Stood them up on the threaded end and just put heat to the side of the head soon as it turned red done went to the next and then the next done . I have no idea how hot they got. After they cooled down I put the nuts on stood them with the nuts up did the same to them :D

Finished up the stainless nuts, waxed and polished, reassembled. But Imgur is giving me some grief, so it may be a bit before I can post up "completed" pics.

Here's my only as-received version:
7iim1Cr.jpg

Still looking for after pics of the nuts.
In the meantime, here's the primary components, all oiled up and ready to re-assemble:

7DJazN6.jpg

Back