Time flies. A giveaway.

I am in! I can’t post a picture here of what knives I used the most 20 years ago because they were all “moderns”.
Congratulations on 20 years!!

Not an entry - but i've always appreciated seeing the pictures of the puukkos and slip joints you own - especially that stag lockback, made me look at one more than once ;)

I'm in! Congratulations on your 20 year!! Just out of curiosity how would one check how long they have been a member? How do you think your tastes have changed? I went from carrying ZT,Spyderco, ect to carrying traditional mostly GEC. Things sure do change. What have you noticed about your progression?

Then, as now, I've been drawn to sharp implements of all sorts. Always have been. When I first joined this place I was a young man though, so modern folders caught my eye. I still have a couple around, though most of the knives I've bought these past few years have been spring knives. I won't swear off modern folders entirely, they have their uses.

I found BladeForums because I was looking for info on khukuris. A foot long blade of hand forged steel? Sign me up. I went a little overboard though and had twenty or so khukuris when all was said and done. I've given a few away, but I still have more than I can use up in my lifetime, especially considering the high quality of the metal. It's ok. I credit that early experience with the "gotta have its" with inoculating me against similar episodes later on in life. Probably why I'm largely immune to the lolly scramble.

Awesome knife! Thank you for the chance, Christian. I've never owned anything like that but I sure do like it.

I'm in!

20 years ago I was carrying this 425 Mini Buck on my key chain. I don't know why I've kept it. It has severe blade play after several years of dangling around on my key chain which I keep hung from my belt. It was the only knife I carried for several years and it's actually my second one. I wore the first one out too but I don't have that one anymore.

IMG_5721.JPG

Last edited:
Wow, 20 years! 10 more years and you'll be eligible for retirement. LOL. Twenty years ago I was into framelock folders for carry.....I apologize. ;)
I'd like to be considered for the Kukri knife. It looks great. Thanks in advance.

20210115-215152.jpg

I find a large blade most handy for some work I do .....the long Tramontina I found sticking out of a tree on my way to to the pub last week...SCORE!
Congrats...I am definitely In....freight on me.
Cheers my Friend.

20 Years is a landmark....I read something once in Royal and Ancient Histories of Porchenberg* that states ..."whence ye doing of twenty yeres on yon Porch ye shalle forthwithe be bestowed the rank of Colonel of The Guard."....The original manuscript is faded and almost illegible ...said to have been penned by Baron Perceval von Porch** himself in the late Iron Age.
A very great honour and distinction.My Congratulations.

* completely fictional and made up by me.
** not a real person from history.

Very nice giveaway. 20 years ago I had little interest in knives, other than the one that was on my Leatherman multitool that I carried on my belt for work. It was effective for my needs at the time, but I am thankful that my knife interests have changed since then (even if my wallet does not agree). I would like to enter, but not for myself. Please make my entry on behalf of Wild Willie Wild Willie .

Not an entry, just acknowledgement of a generous GAW, and your mile stone achievement. You've been a member of the porch longer than I've been married, congratulations on your commitment

Very nice giveaway. 20 years ago I had little interest in knives, other than the one that was on my Leatherman multitool that I carried on my belt for work. It was effective for my needs at the time, but I am thankful that my knife interests have changed since then (even if my wallet does not agree). I would like to enter, but not for myself. Please make my entry on behalf of Wild Willie Wild Willie .

Thanks a lot Jeremy!

Twenty years ago? Let's see...I was landscaping, carrying mostly Benchmade tacticals because I beat the crap out of them. Of course this guy had been hanging with me for twenty years then, and still is.

That is a great looking kukri, very generous of you. I'm in for this one.

An Old Timer was my first traditional pocket knife 35 or so years ago.

I carried it to school and a classmate stole it.

Not an entry from me, I just wanted to congratulate you on the 20 years! Amazing!

An Old Timer was my first traditional pocket knife 35 or so years ago.

I carried it to school and a classmate stole it.

Wasn't sure if a "like" was appropriate for that or not... I feel your pain though. I have a strong suspicion that one of my favorite knives ever was lifted by a co-worker at my last job. I really wouldn't have cared but it was an anniversary gift from my girlfriend.

PS...That Kuhkri in my photo is a 25 bux wall hanger I bought at IronFest a few years ago.
It looks great but the shiny finish soon went rusty and its edge holding ability is like one of those flowers that shrivels up and closes when you touch it....nice buffalo horn handle though and it has 2 little honing knives in the sheath....but the only genuine thing about it is it was likely made in India or Pakistan...in fact Im going to shapen on the wet stone slow wheel...today...

20 years ago I was working in a warehouse carrying a one hand opening, pocket clipped Buck with a half serrated blade. It was my every day user and when I wore through the ATS-34 blade Buck replaced it with a new one. It was the most practical tool for me at the time and it was used dozens and dozens of times daily, I even had a diamond hone at my work station to sharpen it frequently. It was just a tool...

I had some traditional knives, Old Timer stockmans and trappers, Camillus hunters, a Laguiole, and a couple Opinels. But back then I didn't really care what genre of knife I was interested in, it was whatever caught my eye from catalogs or magazine ads, or whatever displays I saw in stores. Also some examples of stuff from the AG Russell catalog like his one hand knife in all stainless. This forum opened my eyes to all kinds of new things, and I garnered a fondness toward traditional knives and an appreciation for them.

I've always admired the Kukri knives but never have pulled the trigger or really had enough knowledge to know which ones were the real deal... that said, your generous GAW looks to be a beautiful example, good on you , and congrats for your 20 year contribution to BF. I enjoy reading your posts and have always seen you as a valuable contributor with a keen eye for cutlery and a level head.

As I am mostly a lurker these days, I will take a bow on this, just wanted to chime in and say, cheers!

Count me in please! 20 years ago I was into SAKs and gas station switch blades haha. Glad I came to my senses..

Back