• MiniChamp

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Rambler

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • Other...please explain

Votes: 6 13.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The one I have on the executive cuts only in one direction. But it does a much neater job of cutting smooth if you use a light touch. I didn't like it at first, I was so used to the rough pitted one on the classic.

But after I experimented with my technique, I figured I was using too much pressure and lightened up my touch and it was way smoother. Its all in how you use it.
Thanks. It sounds similar then to the older, finer, 91mm metal file in use and effect.

I'd like to try a rambler if it didn't have a cap lifter on it, that's one of the things I appreciate about the classic.
I see the combo tool as a #0 to #2 Phillips with a passable cap lifter if you need it. It's a well thought out tool for low torque usage. The extra weight and thickness over the Classic is negligible.

Last edited:
View attachment 1332246 I much prefer a cut (toothed) file to a sandpaper file. So much so that I replaced the sandpaper file in my Money Clip with a real file. I would do the same with my Mini Champ, but I carry both knives so there is no rush.
I have seen modifications to cuticle pushers that convert them to carving scoops (gouges).
Kind of liking the Spidey blade there. My one gripe about the 58mm blade is that it flexes when cutting some items like 6mm diameter hoses that I feel no small blade should be bothered by.

I have to say "kind of liking the Spidey blade" because I don't like the protruding hump it makes, common to many OHO blades.

I see the combo tool as a #0 to #2 Phillips with a passable cap lifter if you need it. It's a well thought out tool for low torque usage. The extra weight and thickness over the Classic is negligible.

I just don't like bottle openers because I don't drink and would rather the cap lifter wasn't there.
I have lots of things that incorporates a cap lifter and I'm fine pretending it's not there when theres no good alternative to said knife or multitool, but won't trade something without a cap lifter for one with it if what I've currently got works for me.

I just don't like bottle openers because I don't drink and would rather the cap lifter wasn't there.
I have lots of things that incorporates a cap lifter and I'm fine pretending it's not there when theres no good alternative to said knife or multitool, but won't trade something without a cap lifter for one with it if what I've currently got works for me.
If you ground the hook off the caplifter, it wouldn't look like one any more. :D

Kind of liking the Spidey blade there. My one gripe about the 58mm blade is that it flexes when cutting some items like 6mm diameter hoses that I feel no small blade should be bothered by.

I have to say "kind of liking the Spidey blade" because I don't like the protruding hump it makes, common to many OHO blades.
The Spydie blade is pretty small for on hand opening, but it’s quite fast 2 handed because of the hole and the protrusion.

My vote was other - I find the Ambassador to be the perfect companion to the larger single blade knife I always carry. I carried the Classic for years but the slightly larger Ambassador is about perfect for me.

However, I've got bigger SAKs in the vehicles and the main requirement for those is a corkscrew. I honestly couldn't tell you what models they are as I've had all of them for years. They also have the magnifying glass tool.

Yesterday my daughter accidently washed and dried a special Classic which was in the pocket of a pair of jeans. She had me check it over, and except for a slight discoloration of the scales, it was in perfect condition. Tough little fellow, that Classic.

View attachment 1331457
I think I've washed and dried my Recruit at least 3 times. Scales are slightly loose, but they stay on.

I didn't do the poll, but if I think about it, I go totally for the classic. Its widely available in most big box stores, inexpensive, and easy to give away. The give away is something I've done with the classic for the 20 plus years I carried one before the executive hit me. I don't know how many times I'd see someone having a hard time using a pen or car key trying to open a package or something. I'd hand them a classic and they were always amazed at how easy it was to cut open the whatever than trying to punch through it with a Bic pen or key. I'd give them the knife and then have them give me a coin. Any old coin will do, old superstition.

I've always said that the classic is the Giddeons Bible of knives in general, and SAK's in particular. A gateway SAK.

I
I didn't do the poll, but if I think about it, I go totally for the classic. Its widely available in most big box stores, inexpensive, and easy to give away. The give away is something I've done with the classic for the 20 plus years I carried one before the executive hit me. I don't know how many times I'd see someone having a hard time using a pen or car key trying to open a package or something. I'd hand them a classic and they were always amazed at how easy it was to cut open the whatever than trying to punch through it with a Bic pen or key. I'd give them the knife and then have them give me a coin. Any old coin will do, old superstition.

I've always said that the classic is the Giddeons Bible of knives in general, and SAK's in particular. A gateway SAK.

I have read your review on the Classic and it is great. If I hadn't found a Rambler in a local store for a good price I would have a Classic right now. My main tools are the scissors and the tweezers, the Classic can do more then a lot of these fancy knives that are one trick ponies.

I have a couple of Recruits. One that is semi worn out, and no longer has that "walk n' talk" crisp engagement when cycling the blades/tool. It has that older dark ox blood red scale color. The newer one is standard red and is still satisfying crisp. They where either bought through the years for my key chain, for the wife, the tackle box. I don't know. They move around, disappear, reappear. But they are always useful and appreciated, on occasion.

I

I have read your review on the Classic and it is great. If I hadn't found a Rambler in a local store for a good price I would have a Classic right now. My main tools are the scissors and the tweezers, the Classic can do more then a lot of these fancy knives that are one trick ponies.

Yes, they can do a heck of a lot. I've fixed a lot of things with the little 58mm that I carried for over 20 years, before I got 'converted' to the 74mm. But my wife still loves and carried her classic, as does my daughter, granddaughter, grandson, both sisters in law, and a few cousins.

I've fixed/replaced the broken door latch on a Sear's Kenmore clothes drier with a classic as it removed the Phillips screws holding the clamshell design sheet metal door together, fixed a conked out Vespa motor scooter on a deserted part of country road when the battery cable vibrated loose, took off the side plate of a gunked up fishing reel that was part of the rental gear out on a rented fishing boat off Key West, fixed a loose door knob assembly and lot more. That little SD tip of the nail file is a wonder that moves the classic up several notches. The tweezers have reached up in between paw pads on our dog to get a sticker/thorn our that couldn't be reached otherwise.

And the tweezers can open handcuffs. (Don't ask!)

And it went in all kinds of government buildings in my native Washington D.C. where there were restrictions on size of knives. Heck, I even flew with it before 9-11 and in the pre-TSA days the airline security hardly ever gave it a second glance.

Do all that with the tactical one hand wonder.

I thunk this thread title of tiny but mighty is a great name for the 58mm's. They are VERY under estimated EDC pocket tools that punch way above their weight class.

Last edited:
Back