TiTAN 2.0 Pre-Order / Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing on instagram for a few weeks??? Any more getting close?

Finished last batch of Cerakoted hardware tonight. They ship out this week. Tomorrow I do flame anodizing.

0824142147_zps111e9be3.jpg

0824142146_zps96fcee33.jpg

0824142147a_zpsac7b0971.jpg

0824141739_zpsbca3b25a.jpg

Looks incredible Will! You are probably flaming mine before long. I am looking forward to this more than any knife I have ever received!

Black with just a few components left stainless turned out to be a really neat looking knife. Does Cerakote present some challenges once you start to assemble and tune or is it just the same as any other coating or finish once you get to assembly and tuning?

Black with just a few components left stainless turned out to be a really neat looking knife. Does Cerakote present some challenges once you start to assemble and tune or is it just the same as any other coating or finish once you get to assembly and tuning?

Cerakote has proven to be a challenging finish to do right. It is a ceramic finish and not a traditional paint and the coating layer is quite thin (.001-2"). On guns and factory knives a few thousandths might not matter. Every part on the TiTAN is lapped to fit with 1000 grit diamond paste so adding any thickness or friction to the mating surfaces is not possible. The interior pivot surfaces, lock faces, and bearing tracks all must be re-tuned or masked off with high temp tape during coating. Its a bit tricky to get right and I learned the hard way that you must triple strain the mixed paint to truly get a perfect satin finish. It is worth it though. Nothing beats Cerakote for abrasion, corrosion, friction and chemical resistance.

Seeing it used on pistols....pistols really take a good deal of abuse....I would not want to abuse a knife the way a pistol is abused just in the act of firing. So I really have never thought that much about the surface protectant characteristics on a knife. It seems to do the job OK on a pistol. But in reality I have often come away thinking the pistol abuse won out if I was looking for a benefit over other pistol surface coatings.

I could see it really working out good for a knife though...but I was thinking it would be a challenge which is what prompted my question.

Woohoo! Very excited to see some flame anodizing. After the cerakoted TiTAN's go out, how many do you have left to finish?

Don't hold me to it but I think Will is doing them by type. I think he started with knives he needed for Blade 2014, went on to assorted stone washed and has continued on to the Cerakotes. Again, don't hold me to it. But that makes a good deal of sense if that is what he is doing. Also, there may be a number of processes that are similar by each type. All by way of saying that he may have done the Stone Washed that had wharny's and still has a group of Stone Washed to complete that have drop points for example.

But if you look at the WIP photos it does sort of look like he is completing them by type.

Don't hold me to it but I think Will is doing them by type. I think he started with knives he needed for Blade 2014, went on to assorted stone washed and has continued on to the Cerakotes. Again, don't hold me to it. But that makes a good deal of sense if that is what he is doing. Also, there may be a number of processes that are similar by each type. All by way of saying that he may have done the Stone Washed that had wharny's and still has a group of Stone Washed to complete that have drop points for example.

But if you look at the WIP photos it does sort of look like he is completing them by type.

Well your almost right. I am doing them in batches according to finish but also some knives just need more personal attention than others to be tuned perfectly. I will also add that I get a ton of requests for specialized hybrid finishes like stonewashed antiqued anodizing, blackwash, specific scratch patterns, or timascus. I'm more than happy to fulfill the requests it just requires time to complete properly.

Can any of the 12 people who have a finished knife post pics or a quick review? With more than half finished I'm surprised we haven't seen anything from anyone. Who are the 12 people with finished knives?

Can any of the 12 people who have a finished knife post pics or a quick review? With more than half finished I'm surprised we haven't seen anything from anyone. Who are the 12 people with finished knives?

Vance did a quick review on his TiTAN and TiTAN 2

[video=youtube;86PIX7zKmmY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86PIX7zKmmY[/video]

May not have seen it but the thread just under this thread in Will's forum is a thread from the guy that got the Blade 2014 knife at auction there. Some really nice photos of that knife in that thread. There is not much copy in the thread but some really nice photos.

I saw that. If #00 is in the 20, that is still only 2 out of the supposed 12 already delivered. I'm surprised we have heard nothing from the others.

After a year of waiting past the expected delivery date I'd expect people either show it off to anyone and everyone and say it was totally worth the wait or else throw a royal fit about the maker taking a year of extra time and that there are still big issues with the knife that needed fixed. Delivery issues seem to be nothing new with either new or seasoned makers. Auctioning off finished knives with dozens of prepaid customers still waiting also seems to be par for the course. With 12 supposedly delivered, the lack of chatter and radio silence is what I find unusual.

I saw that. If #00 is in the 20, that is still only 2 out of the supposed 12 already delivered. I'm surprised we have heard nothing from the others.

After a year of waiting past the expected delivery date I'd expect people either show it off to anyone and everyone and say it was totally worth the wait or else throw a royal fit about the maker taking a year of extra time and that there are still big issues with the knife that needed fixed. Delivery issues seem to be nothing new with either new or seasoned makers. Auctioning off finished knives with dozens of prepaid customers still waiting also seems to be par for the course. With 12 supposedly delivered, the lack of chatter and radio silence is what I find unusual.

Well not all the TiTANs preorders were filled with BF members or even people with instagram/youtube accounts. I have shipped to Canada, Singapore, and the UK and a few clients were knife brokers or makers. I guess not everybody is subbed to this thread. I apologize for the wait and as always its a 100% money back guarantee. If for any reason you aren't comfortable waiting or you're unsatisfied with your TiTAN, your unconditionally covered. Hell if you really want to you could just flip it for double the cash on the secondary market.

As you mentioned I suffer like many makers from overdue wait list times. Some people would think it insane to wait 18 months for a knife. I apologize for the delay but guarantee you wont be disappointed.

Well I am going to stick my neck out here a tiny little bit. If you look at the original list of twenty something like 3 and 4 on the list are "blade" twice. I have wondered since then if those were the Blade 2014 knives. Maybe they aren't but it would not be a surprise if blade.....blade was Will's way of assigning those two spots to the Blade 2014 show knives. If so, as you might imagine, he had no choice but to get them completed in time for the show.

I know I've been raging a bit here on Will for his timeliness and lack of communication. I just want to balance that a bit and say that Will was very willing to clean up some minor issues with my original TiTAN and he did so very well and relatively quickly. The willingness of a maker to make things right is probably a more important measure and Will has been excellent at that.

Very few other customs really appeal to me but I knew I had to have one the second I saw the WIP details for the first TiTAN. These TiTAN 2s look to be much better than the original. Having to wait, and not really knowing how long the wait is going to be, is frustrating. If it wasn't such a fantastic design and one that I wasn't so excited for, the wait would be a lot easier to bear. From specs and the few videos this knife looks phenomenal and I have every reason to believe it will be just as great as my expectations when I finally have it. Waiting, for such a fanstic piece, is difficult...

Quick cell pic of some flame anodizing. This is a bronze/violet edge fade. Next up are tiger stripes and a bronze/blue fade. I'm experimenting with an acetylene torch to get tighter color changes for the more complex patterns. #11-14 are on the bench now getting final fit and finish.

10598345_358710954278252_1043064653_n_zps6fde0567.jpg

For anybody wondering where these are I just received number 10 today from a dealer. I will confirm what you fellas already know, it's well worth whatever wait you have. I've wanted one of these for a long time and was to late for this preorder after missing the first one and striking out every time they were available in the secondary market. I took a quick pic of this beast below - it's buttery smooth, flips insanely fast for a blade this big - and locks up nice and early. It is astounding William was able to make a knife this large so smooth - really blow's my mind! I'll get more pics and a review later if anybody is interested - also will post more on my IG account which is username "iBeauW".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back