TM Hunt Pen Pal Apprenticeship. A Knife WIP! Part 2

As some of you may know I have been working of my first custom knife. One night I was trying to decide what I would use for handle material. I had recently bought a Yuma from Todd and fell in love with the Maple scales. After searching the internet for something similar and not finding it I decided to PM Todd and ask him were he got his maple from.

It turns out that he gets his locally from a place that uses the Maple for muzzle loading rifles and he achieves the coloration and the play on light by the process he does afterwards.

After I read that reply I had some more questions, Too many for Todd to want to type so he asked me to call him. By the end of that phone call he passed on so much information about his craft that I had a hard time sleeping that night trying to process it all. Also by the end of that phone call Todd offered to help me with my first knife and be a reference for any questions along the way. He also hooked me up with a block of the maple he uses and tips on how not to screw it up. He also offered to heat treat the knife for me since I chose O1 tool steel and he has a lot of experience with that steel.

Also in that phone call Todd found out I had minimal tools and gave me a list of tools that would start me out and not break the bank. Each and every one of those tools proved to be priceless in short order. Most of these tools were hand tools. Files, a hacksaw, stuff like that. Todd told me that I was going to work my ass off and he was right.

Lets start out with the inspiration for me deciding on taking on such a project. In years past I used to be a lot more creative. Being able to be creative helps me relieve stress because my wandering mind is focused on ONE thing. I have not had an outlet like this in years and needed something to occupy my mind.

I have two knives in particular that in my hands and how I use the knives are damn near perfect. The only way I could think of improving them was to make them look and feel closer to each other. Basically have them meet in the middle.

Here are those two knives.

14993099900_898583ce52_z.jpg

The first one is a heavily modded Becker BK-10, THE Big Becker Bushcrafter. This blade was gifted to me from Tradewater. This knife hasn't been far from me since I got it. I love the blade shape and the convex grind is scary sharp and easy to maintain.

The next knife is a 5/32 curly Maple handled Yuma. I have wanted a TM Hunt knife for a while and had a chance to buy one left over from Blade Show with no wait. I jumped on it. This knife feels great in the hand in a lot of different grips and is just plain beautiful.

I felt if I could combine these knives and keep the features I liked, I might have something I felt was worth keeping.

I sat down and drew what I wanted to make, kept changing the things that bugged me and kept it simple.

After collecting all the tools I needed I went to work. I made a file jig to help dial in and guide my file as I worked. This simple jig worked great.

Here are some pictures and videos of my work.

Cutting out the shape of the blade.

14876560084_6f372e2be3_z.jpg

My file jig ready to go!

14692309130_9179f9b739_z.jpg

The end of the first day.

14878993325_a3095d64e1_z.jpg

Looking really ugly. It is covered in black marker so I could tell were I was easier and the bevel has marker on it so I could make sure I was using the file evenly.

14788333209_0354b9e229_z.jpg

Some videos from start to current.

[video=youtube;_DrsiTgUDIc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DrsiTgUDIc&list=UUVs_4zTKTAf-wMKE_oqgOQg[/video]

[video=youtube;rU9jU9V6QSY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU9jU9V6QSY&list=UUVs_4zTKTAf-wMKE_oqgOQg&index=2[/video]

This last video was made to show Todd what I had done so far. Because of this video Todd was able to give me some much needed and welcome criticism. He opened my mind to ways of making this knife better. Two things. This knife is really forward heavy because of the lack of a distal taper and the grind was way too thick. He told me I could perform the changes or send it to him and he would grind it for me in about 10 minutes before heat treating. As much as it pains me to have someone else work on my project, I realized that I would not be able to pull off the distal taper he was talking about with the tools I have available. I also trust Todd's opinion, his skills, and experience.

[video=youtube;mkryMcRCttc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkryMcRCttc&list=UUVs_4zTKTAf-wMKE_oqgOQg&index=3[/video]

The knife is currently with Todd awaiting the tune up and heat treating. Here is how it left.

15108568731_7545fd3e46_z.jpg

14925012247_483986dcda_z.jpg

So far this has been the rewarding experience I had hoped for. Todd has been a huge help. I am looking forward to getting it back so I can work on the handles and eventually a leather sheath for it.

I will be posting more pictures and video as more progress is made.

Also, feel free to ask any questions about this project.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Last edited:
Nice clean lines! That file jig looks like it worked pretty great!

What thickness stock are you using?

Thanks guys!

For this one I am using 3/16. The OAL is just over 10" with a 5" blade.

Jeremy

I gotta say Jeremy, I never thought when you told me about the file guide that this was the set up you were using. Bravo! I have the knife now and Jeremy asked me to nitpick it so he knew what to change on his next piece. Honestly, as I told him, there is nothing to nitpick and this knife looks a lot better than my knives do at this point before heat treat. I will be taking a small amount of stock out of the distal taper just to help you out on the balance. But other than that, I would never guess this a first effort knife.
For those of you that dont make knives but would like to try, understand that it is very possible to make a knife with limited tools. You just need some ingenuity, and willingness to work hard. This is a perfect example.
Well done man! I will be heating this with the next batch I have to do hopefully by the end of the week, then I'll get it right back out to you.

Somethin wrong with my rocks all of the sudden Jerry? :grumpy:;)

Thanks guys!

The rock picture was a homage to Todd's rock pictures. I was wondering if anyone would pick up on that.

Jeremy

Thanks guys!

The rock picture was a homage to Todd's rock pictures. I was wondering if anyone would pick up on that.

Jeremy

You hear that Jerry? You know what you call that? R.E.S.P.E.C.T. lol. :D

Jerry, go look at your phone. I just sent you a text.

Kiss ass.
No worries Todd, your rocks are just fine....

...now where's that shit eating grin smiley?
Oh! Here it is!
:D

y'know, Jerry -- I could have gone a LOT longer in this life without hearing you rave about how fine Todd's "rocks" are....

Here is the next installment of my knife WIP.

Todd sent me these pics today, and man was I pumped to see them. He worked to grind a distal taper on my knife and then heat treated it.

Grinding the distal taper.

15055104739_bb0b23c402_c.jpg

15055085839_1dfa0060e7_c.jpg

Showing the distal taper. Nice product placement Todd!

15218850236_6d6e02f365_c.jpg

Coming out of the oven.

15055275047_3717fbdfde_c.jpg

Quenching the steel.

15241943435_cd51a01b4a_c.jpg

After quenching.

15055087299_e479fb6f55_c.jpg

Murph was there, he says hi.

15241855155_be863b99a3_c.jpg

Thanks guys!

Jeremy

Back