Tool marks

I know the OP doesn't want to name the brand; however, that looks pretty characteristic of Bradford Knives (I'm actually gonna guess and say that's a 3.5).

I've handled a couple of them and out of all the fixed blades that I've encountered (production, mid-tech, custom, etc), they are the only one that leave those markings, either from laser cutting or water jetting. Though, granted I am one person, so obviously take my experience with a grain of salt.

If it is a highly regarded manufacturer, then it must have slipped by QC. I’ve seen much better QC on far less expensive knives than that one. That would definitely bug me especially at that price point.

I was reluctant to name the manufacturer but since the cat is out of the bag Spears is correct. Bradford guardian 3.5. Again after looking at the video's it appears to be the normal level of finish. Oddly all the pictures on the website are side views:)

I was reluctant to name the manufacturer but since the cat is out of the bag Spears is correct. Bradford guardian 3.5. Again after looking at the video's it appears to be the normal level of finish. Oddly all the pictures on the website are side views:)

Sorry about that. Though, the fact that I got it right really does show that it is a "signature" finish of theirs. They make a decent product and have a pretty strong following and I don't believe their fit/finish has changed since they started.

I'd still agree with most of the folks here and consider it a fit/finish/QC issue. I guess to Bradford it isn't and the fact their knives still sell pretty well, to those that own them it also isn't a real big issue.

Pretty embarrassing. If you posted this in the maker's thread as "first knife finished feedback requested", you'd get plenty of encouragement and tips on improving fit and finish.

I think that the tool marks would be less of an annoyance to me than the fact that the scales are not flush with the tang. I wouldn't be happy with that kind of sloppy work and would send it back.

I started looking closely at videos and it seems to be normal for this model.
Better to do this before buying .

If unhappy , I'd just return for refund , but take responsibility for your part in misunderstanding the product being sold .

It wouldn't bother me , if everything else was right . For this type POU knife . It's not a display / wall hanger .

3V is for really tough, hard user , IMO . So high polish finish is unnecessary . Just beat the crap outta the knife , as intended .

I would email or call them and see if they will send you a replacement knife. If not then I would clean it up with sandpaper or just forget about it. I guess it would depend on what I was going to use the knife for. A manufacturers actual knife in someone's hand is the best, or the worst, advertisement that they can have.

All of my bradfords are this way also. I'm not fond of it, but the knives cut well.

Contacted cs today and their reply was we do not fully finish the spine, return and we will happily refund the purchase, thank you for trying our knife. Hard to beat that. I'm impressed with the knife and the cs just not the finish at this price point so back it goes.
I'm open to suggestion on replacing with something similiar.

Contacted cs today and their reply was we do not fully finish the spine, return and we will happily refund the purchase, thank you for trying our knife. Hard to beat that. I'm impressed with the knife and the cs just not the finish at this price point so back it goes.
I'm open to suggestion on replacing with something similiar.
Credit to them for handling it as they did.
When this thread started and you said 3V hard use knife, I thought you might be talking about CPK. CPK is perhaps worth looking at. Funnily enough they machine their knives and mention machine marks in the description, but you will see from pictures that the fit and finish is collectable quality. Those start around $300...

take a look at the Buck 124. It’s a hell of a nice knife for the money. It’s one of the only knives with a full width tang that Buck makes. If that is a feature you desire.

If a full length stick tang is ok. Then you can buy several Buck knives for your budget, and be set for life.

Last edited:
Back