TOPS Ferret Review

Still getting daily use to include opening packages, cutting tubing, fruit, etc. I have convexed the edge to a nice sharpness and polished the edge using a leather strop. The blade hasn't needed any touching up from daily tasks so I just oil it here and there. The micarta handles are darkening up a lot up front. Probably from oil, dirt, fruit juices, etc.

Here's a shot from today:

Good review. Thanks. This little guy has been on my list for a while.
You may have me pulling the plug now.

You're welcome mikejd. I really think you'll be impressed with the quality of this little blade for $50. It's a well thought out and executed package.

After some cutting boxes last night I decided the edge was still not what I wanted. Just a bit thick at the edge for a little slicer. I am currently, slowly, reprofiling the blade to more of a high scandi grind since my most razor sharp knives are Moras and I FREAKING love scandi grinds. I figure a little 1095 blade like this will be an absolute laser in a high scandi configuration. We shall see. I love to tinker around till I get it just right for me. I have it about 60% done so stay tuned for some pics of when I finish. Like I said, it's a small blade so I'm going very very slowly.

Ok, well I'd consider this about 80% done now and I'll probably stop here. The grinds were slightly hollow ground it seems, so I took it only until I had a true zero edge with no microbevel. I did this by laying the blade flat on my stone then tilting the blade till the edge rested on the stone, applying pressure on the edge I worked away (the same way you sharpen an already scandi blade). It's definitely a fantastic slicer and quite a laser now. Given that it is 1/8" 1095 it is still quite strong and very robust.

since people like to see paper sliced hahaha:

You were right I am really enjoying this knife, mine wasn't overly sharp when I got it but after 10 passes on the strop it is now

I like how it doesn't feel small

Awesome MadIndian! I know what you are saying, it really doesn't feel small in hand and is very easy to use. Enjoy that blade.

Thank you sir! It is very "slicey" now hahaha. I love this little blade. My wife told me this AM to leave it the heck alone, it's perfect. The lady wins. Frankly, I think she just wants me to stop playing with the darn thing and pay more attention to her. In all honesty I really am happy with how it looks and it cuts so well that I'm not going to mess any further. Now it's purely a use item. I'm going to let a natural patina build over time.

Have you carried yours since you got it?

Everyday so far, on the weekend it replaced a folder that I usually carry as a backup to bk11 and its replaced my mini paraframe as my nyc carry.

Very happy I saw your thread its what swung me, doubt I'll strip it like you've done but I do really like how the last one turned out you did, very nice how the line follows the blades cutting lines

Protecting the keyboard and mouse at work today ;-)

1965471_10152253243558419_1406149682_o_zps90bb08f3.jpg

Hmm....ferret protecting a mouse, odd. That's a fine looking blade. Glad it found its way into your pocket. It has such a stout feel for such a tiny blade. Post pics up in here as you use it more and/or modify the knife.

I can tell you this, it stains very easily (gains patina). I cut up a tomato today (salt and pepper slices style) and didn't even let the juice sit on it more than a couple minutes before wiping it down and it already has some minor patina spots. In a year this blade will have an insane amount of character.

I have (2) TOPS knives. A BAJA 3.0, a terrific knife, (comes w/ a great leather sheath.) and the FERRET. I really love this little thing. Perfect for what it is and should be. I know that TOPS doesn't seem to be the "flavor of the month", but I could care less. I will get more!

Thanks for the awesome review and the great pics. I'm in the market for a new neck knife, ok really I'm just jonesing for a new blade. Have you had the micarta scales off it? If so, what does it look like underneath? I love small paracord wrapped neck knives and with a custom kydex sheath I think it may be doable... Your thoughts?

My suggestion would be the TOPS FERRET or the Esee IZULA. The FERRET has Micarta scales and a Kydex sheath. It is small but if you really want a "neck" knife, this will do nicely. This is what I use. If you're set on a paracord wrapped blade, then I'd go with the IZULA. I think it's kinda big to hang around your neck, but many others use it that way. I have both. No need to take the scales off, in fact I don't recommend it. But that's not just my opinion. Here's an email to me from Mike Perrin at ESEE regarding the same. Hope this helps:

"Nothing will bring them back to new if you use the knife at all. Micarta will darken with use over time no matter how much you clean it.
You can use Windex with ammonia, laundry detergent , dishwashing detergent, acetone... In short just about anything you want to clean the handles.
I dont recommend taking handles off to clean them since that usually results in lost screws or stripped out barrel nuts from over tightening and you have to buy new handle hardware .
Micarta us really tough, chemical and fire resistant stuff. My own knives never get handles cleaned. It is a tool that requires sharpening and that's my philosophy on knives:)
Mike"

i wonder how it would compare to an ESEE candiru? Looks to be about the same size.

The FERRET and the Candiru are very similar in size. Candiru blade is slightly wider and the knife is about 1/4" longer overall. The Kydex sheath of the FERRET makes for more versatile carry options as opposed the plastic lined nylon sheath supplied w/ the Candiru. I have one of each and I'm happy with them. Both are good choices.

cknight,
I love the Ferret still and it is in my pocket as we speak. I used it very hard when we moved and I broke down so many boxes and cut open so many things. Recently it went with us to pick pumpkins where we cut them right off the vine. I even used it last Sunday to carefully cut off a string that had gotten wrapped on a kid's finger during a flag football game. That is where having your knife sharp and a steady hand come in handy!!!! It was making his finger purple so I went for it, all went well.

I'm sure you could parachord wrap it, but I love the micarta!

rctk1,
I'd say they are about the same size. The Ferret just looks cooler to me!

mikestrat,
Thank you for giving the answers and information sharing.

Back