Traditional and Modern pairings

Ha ha!:D Nice one. Misplaced Hillbilly Misplaced Hillbilly But what gets me about most Moderns is the sheer hulking SIZE of them :eek: Sort of Wrench size most of them:D I used one last week to help box up stuff and cut cardboard&tape, wanted a locking blade and something I could filthy up, the Byrd did well and it's not too massive but not for me as an EDC.

And about Lionsteel ;) It's a Mod but not a Trad one :D as it's a compact size, uses pattern cues of Trads, and natural materials but they frighten the fogey stick in the muds as they're excellently constructed:D Don't use brass, don't rust, retain an edge for more than an hour and don't need annoying maintenance to bring them up to basic standard before you can use them:rolleyes: all part of the allure & mystique eh? ;)

Ha ha!:D Nice one. Misplaced Hillbilly Misplaced Hillbilly But what gets me about most Moderns is the sheer hulking SIZE of them :eek: Sort of Wrench size most of them:D I used one last week to help box up stuff and cut cardboard&tape, wanted a locking blade and something I could filthy up, the Byrd did well and it's not too massive but not for me as an EDC.

And about Lionsteel ;) It's a Mod but not a Trad one :D as it's a compact size, uses pattern cues of Trads, and natural materials but they frighten the fogey stick in the muds as they're excellently constructed:D Don't use brass, don't rust, retain an edge for more than an hour and don't need annoying maintenance to bring them up to basic standard before you can use them:rolleyes: all part of the allure & mystique eh? ;)
Honestly I only ever carry one modern any more, and that one maybe a handful oftimes a month. But this Cold Steel is very light and thin. With a nice thin full flat grind, its basically a modern take on the classic folding hunters. I removed the thumbstud not to make it more traditional, but because it it didn't work well. Wasn't in an ideal location and would tear up my hand if I had it clipped in my front pocket and reached in for something else. Guess why I like it is its based on a classic design, kinda like the Lionsteel knives. Its handle profile is nearly identical to the Uncle Henry.
T6WkKZo.jpg

Just wanted to add that sitting here fiddling with it I pushed on the blade with my thumb,trying to see where the stud would have made more sense. Guess what, the easiest place to lever that blade open is precisely where the Schrade has the nail nick. :rolleyes: Who woulda thunk it

they frighten the fogey stick in the muds as they're excellently constructed:D Don't use brass, don't rust, retain an edge for more than an hour and don't need annoying maintenance to bring them up to basic standard before you can use them:rolleyes:
Sounds like you're describing your typical Spyderco... They ain't traditional neither. ;):D

Last edited:
Sounds like you're describing your typical Spyderco... They ain't traditional neither. ;):D

As if ;):D Spyders spin a web that draw you in but seldom use Trad materials or Trad patterns :p
Whereas Lionsteel is like a modern building built in harmony with existing old architecture as a tribute yet using the latest improvements in construction. No wonder it's Italian, they understand these things :cool:

That's a very elegant looking knife. Could you give us more information on it?

Sure! It’s the BladeHQ exclusive version of the Real Steel Luna (I’m assuming you recognized the Case Tiny Toothpick, if not, that is the little red bone one). It is a well made modern slipjoint: incredibly light and slim, with thin blade stock, lean grinds, and smooth action. Been in my pocket for almost a month with very little rest.
N69QEX3.jpg

AYEl0pG.jpg

CmmDiMJ.jpg

Sure! It’s the BladeHQ exclusive version of the Real Steel Luna (I’m assuming you recognized the Case Tiny Toothpick, if not, that is the little red bone one). It is a well made modern slipjoint: incredibly light and slim, with thin blade stock, lean grinds, and smooth action. Been in my pocket for almost a month with very little rest.
N69QEX3.jpg

AYEl0pG.jpg

CmmDiMJ.jpg
Very very cool. Thanks for the info. :cool::thumbsup:

r8shell r8shell
Yep thats the one, it does have a coolness factor that prompts me to hang onto it. The assisted opening is quite snappy on these,maybe a bit to snappy. I could see it flying outta someone's hand if they wasn't prepared and had a grip on it. That aside it has good ergonomics imho,to many modern knives now have so many sharp edges where there's not supposed to be sharp edges.

As if ;):D Spyders spin a web that draw you in but seldom use Trad materials or Trad patterns :p
Whereas Lionsteel is like a modern building built in harmony with existing old architecture as a tribute yet using the latest improvements in construction. No wonder it's Italian, they understand these things :cool:

Never owned an Italian car, have ya? Lol

I have to admit that some of the lionsteels, especially Ck’s, are quite neat. Almost perfect traditional modern knife if you ask me. I carry my warhorse second only to my Dunlap stockman.

Back