Traditional and Modern pairings

Thanks! First, I put a stonewashed finish on the blade. I did it poor man's style without a tumbler and just used the tumbling media (from Harbor Freight) in a container and shook it by hand for the better part of an hour. The scales are aftermarket micarta. I also ditched the deep carry clip and threw on a heavily used one I had from another Benchmade, and I stonewashed it a bit too for good measure. Finally just a leather lanyard and the "bead" is actually a brass fitting I picked up on the plumbing aisle of Ace Hardware. Overall just a fun little project to make it my own, and while it's not perfect I'm quite pleased with the results.
Well you did a good job. It looks unique and ultra cool. :cool::thumbsup:

osqQ3Zd.jpg

This Buck was outside with me today doing yard work when Joe the mailman showed up with the Ka-Bar. It is my first ever “modern” folder, but honestly besides the thumb-stud and the pocket clip (both of which are entirely unnecessary), it really isn’t that different from a traditional lock-back. I have to say, although the materials and construction are similar to the Buck, and the price was almost exactly the same, I like the Buck a lot better. Still, I’m glad I got it. I wanted to try something modern just to see, but wasn’t willing to spend a lot of money or buy something made in you-know-where. I think I will eventually rebuild it in brass and wood, though.
ahv4EV0.jpg
I finally got around to rebuilding the Ka-bar. Here is that same pair again:
IOkn7iL.jpg

nxqympQ.jpg

ees7tcF.jpg

Still kind of amateurish-looking, but again, besides a Dremel, I only had a limited range of hand tools to work with.

I finally got around to rebuilding the Ka-bar. Here is that same pair again:
IOkn7iL.jpg

nxqympQ.jpg

ees7tcF.jpg

Still kind of amateurish-looking, but again, besides a Dremel, I only had a limited range of hand tools to work with.
That looks wonderful to me.

Love the 110, it got character.
9LOmTWy.jpg

For EDC, I usually prefer the smaller brother Ranger 112. Though they are not the most expensive knives, there are few modern folders that could offer the same comfortable grip when used hard.
UB2EPiF.jpg

Back