Traditional Knife and Gun Picture Thread

Been wanting to get some pics for this thread for a while now!

WWII Era workhorses. Still useful to this day.

View attachment 823942

Newer versions of both, also very useful

View attachment 823943

Compact everyday carry.

View attachment 823945

Matt

Beautiful red bone on those jacks!

I used to have an WWII era Ithaca made 1911. It was in particularly fine condition aside from the idiot marks made by a previous owner trying to take it down. One of the straightest shooting handguns I have ever owned, I sometimes regret letting that one go...

6Dhw5AZ.jpg

I already get laughed at for taking knife pics, if I started setting up guns all around the house for pictures as well, my girlfriend would really think I’m nuts.

This forum is bad for the wallet but this thread is reallllllly bad for the wallet!

The Pachmayrs may not look all that traditional, but they make this Super Blackhawk in 44 mag nicer to shoot. Boker 4" serpentine jack in 440C and Bog oak to go along with it. (The 4" knife kind of puts perspective on the size of the Super Blackhawk. It's a big bugger.)
zKLxtqU.jpg

Frank, I imagine those would be more comfortable to shoot with. I can attest to the fact that the standard wood grips aren't particularly ergonomic or comfortable when wielding one of these behemoths. Here's a photo I took of mine a while back.

FBGC78j.jpg

Unfortunately its due for a trip to the gunsmith; it's started shearing lead off of bullets at the forcing cone. :confused:

Another day, another duck blind. Got a pterodactyl-sized goose after an hour in the blind, then things slowed. Lots of ducks flying, just not landing. Still, a gorgeous day, even saw some swans (I don't eat 'em, so I don't hunt 'em).

zBoI5Wa.jpg

q3H6HFP.jpg

SZUqg30.jpg

The shoreline in the background is Marine Base Quantico.
- Stuart

I always enjoy your duck hunting photos, Duckdog! That's something I wish I would've gotten into when I was a young, but my family weren't duck hunters.

Quite a "racey" fixed blade there Stuart, is it a Ruana?
It's a Joe Cordova (Albuquerque, NM) hunter, Jeff. 10.75" OAL to give the Ruger Single Six (.22 LR) some perspective. Here's another pic where the blade meets the guard.

UKX2IcS.jpg

And the bear head stamp in the top of the handle.

ESUgDpy.jpg

From what I can tell about Joe Cordova's work (he made his first knife in 1953, worked with Bill Moran and Ron Loveless, was recognized as a Master Smith in 1993, and was a board member and chairman of the American Bladesmith Society) he used many steels: if forged, then 5160, L6, 1095, and 15N20 Damascus; if stock removal, then ATS-34, CPM154, and S30VTEC. The handle is a laminate of wood and synthetic liners, it appears.

I agree that it may be a bit ornate for the skinning pole, but it gets the guys to talkin'.
- Stuart

Last edited:
Thanks, Stuart, I like it. Looks to be a perfect match for a California styled bolt action like an early Weatherby or H&R from the '60s, with rollover cheekpiece and an angled forend tip. I used to swoon over those in the magazine ads as a kid. :)

Back