Traditional Knives and Toys

A pair of Golden Oldies Lesney Matchboxes, the Scammell Scarab (the first I got, long time lost the trailer, the only one I kept) and OB Bedford, courtesy @WillPower, together with the lovely Puukko. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
View attachment 1424378

Glad you liked the Bedford recovery truck JP:thumbsup: its winch vanished decades ago....it's probably to scale with that Scarab, a bizarre little towing vehicle:cool: The Puukko could be Matchbox size too, but it's a useable small version. :)

Years ago I wanted a Jaguar, Mark I, XK 120 , Mark VII, Mark X. I kept at it, beavering away ;) but to no avail...now at the end part of my life I realize the model is the closest I'll get..but dreams are real & vivid :D

D6Vt0oU.jpg

Years ago I wanted a Jaguar, Mark I, XK 120 , Mark VII, Mark X. I kept at it, beavering away ;) but to no avail...now at the end part of my life I realize the model is the closest I'll get..but dreams are real & vivid :D

D6Vt0oU.jpg

My late father in law restored Jaguars, an XK120, Mark VII, XKE, XK140 and 150. We had the engine from my wife’s 150 completely disassembled on the pool table. You needed to either have a mechanic in the passenger seat or learn all the idiosyncrasies on your own. No local mechanic would touch one, one look at the engine and they’d run like a rabbit.

Getting the wire wheels properly aligned was a major job...he sold the Mark VII to a local funeral director :)

JB in SC JB in SC :eek: no doubt all true:D But mechanics in any country that makes cars are often scared of trying to fix 'foreign' models;)

Back to fantasy: who wouldn't be mesmerised by this green Jaguar Mark VII in Hitchcock's Vertigo ? Or by its driver , Kim Novak ;) Wonder what type of knife James Stewart is carrying while driving that De Soto? I'd guess at a CASE Penknife or Eisenhower?

JB in SC JB in SC :eek: no doubt all true:D But mechanics in any country that makes cars are often scared of trying to fix 'foreign' models;)

Back to fantasy: who wouldn't be mesmerised by this green Jaguar Mark VII in Hitchcock's Vertigo ? Or by its driver , Kim Novak ;) Wonder what type of knife James Stewart is carrying while driving that De Soto? I'd guess at a CASE Penknife or Eisenhower?

If Kim Novak had driven a Mark 2 then Vertigo would have been aesthetically perfect.
Too bad Hitchcock made his movie one year too early.

Dan.

Last edited:
No, cannot agree!;) The Mark I is aesthetically the better car: small sausage rear window (not the film!) spats covering the rear wheel arches and nicer radiator. Plus, the Mark VII is bigger and better than either :cool::D

No, cannot agree!;) The Mark I is aesthetically the better car: small sausage rear window (not the film!) spats covering the rear wheel arches and nicer radiator. Plus, the Mark VII is bigger and better than either :cool::D

Will, come to your senses.... i can't believe it.

Dan.

I do not have any knives with handles of giraffe bone,
but I do have a giraffe that handles bone knives.
The giraffe seems to be contemplating taking the canoe for a ride on the little pond, but doesn't seem to realize the canoe is upside down.
TRcanoe.mark.main.giraffe.shade.jpg

- GT

mbkr mbkr Thanks Mike. Schuco’s are the best. The yellow one was Made in the US Zone Germany right after WWII.

Back