1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Traditional Knives and Toys

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Just Tom., Aug 9, 2019.

1. CelloDan

CelloDan Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 2, 2017
    And here is one of my slingshots, from childhood as well. I must have been about 11 years old. I remember searching for a tree branch with my cousin. We painted and put in in the oven on low to dry faster LOL ( my grandma did not approve )
    The leather for the pouch we got it after searching for an old shoe in and empty lot where people would throw garbage.
    I think this slingshot killed a couple birds too ... for no reason at all, except that that was what many boys did back then...shoot your slingshot at everything that moved... but those were other times, other culture. Seems so distant now !
    (knife won @JohnDF GAW:thumbsup:)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  2. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo Part time maker, very very part time Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 25, 2012
    [​IMG]

Dr-Mabuse, Jody744, cjtamu and 12 others like this.
  3. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Thanks John, lot's of fond memories:)

4. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Cool Kevin, I'm gonna have to dig out some of my hot rods, well mine and my boy's:D

flatblackcapo and Prester John like this.
  5. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Here's a pic that will cover several threads on here... my granddaughter's Barbie boat, with a book I'm reading, and a finger and a half of Jack Daniel's single barrel Rye whiskey... and a cigar, and to make it pertinent to this forum, my Beagle standing guard.... :cool:

[​IMG]

6. Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck Singing along with the voices in my head Gold Member

Nov 24, 2013
    You sure have a lot going on there ;)

hornetguy likes this.
  7. difeasy

difeasy

Apr 13, 2014
    Doctor's Knife :D

[​IMG]

Dr-Mabuse, peanutsxx, Dschal and 8 others like this.
  8. Boxer .45

Boxer .45

Jan 11, 2015
    I spotted the Razorback before I noticed the knife. Lol

btb01 likes this.
  9. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    [​IMG]

Dr-Mabuse, JohnDF, Dschal and 5 others like this.
  10. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    The Virgil Flowers novels (and Sandford's "Prey" novels) are great "escapist literature"! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    (I started re-reading Mad River yesterday.)

I keep this old-school "fidget toy" in the car to play with one-handed while driving on long trips:
    imp.serp.mark.Vmain.pinktoy.jpg

- GT

zolthar, JohnDF, peanutsxx and 10 others like this.
  11. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    How about a traditional knife with a traditional toy?

[​IMG]

Jody744, cjtamu, zolthar and 15 others like this.
  12. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Man... I haven't seen a top in decades. I saw a cheezy little yo-yo a few days ago, but a top? Been a long time... along with a very nice looking Barlow...

Prester John likes this.
  13. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    Confession time...

I don't know how to spin it.

Prester John and CelloDan like this.
  14. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    I've always liked this picture. If you have a knife you can make your own toys.

[​IMG]

image by mnblade

zolthar, peanutsxx, Dschal and 4 others like this.
  15. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Wow! I used to play with tops all the time. Sometimes we'd try to hit each others' tops while they were spinning. Great toy! Don't see kids playing with yo-yo's or marbles either anymore. Stupid video games and pokemon have replaced them I guess. :(

Markeologist and JohnDF like this.
  16. JD Bear

JD Bear Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 4, 2015
    I absolutely love the Flowers novels and the Prey series. I think I actually started liking Flowers over Davenport. Glad to know someone else that likes them as well :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

mbkr and hornetguy like this.
  17. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo Part time maker, very very part time Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 25, 2012
    It's a great little knife, thanks Jeff.

Please do, Paul.
    I just might have a unusual amount of toys around my house for not having any children. :D

Here's a couple that I took for the Guardian's thread awhile back.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TheChunk91, cjtamu, zolthar and 11 others like this.
  18. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
  19. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Yeah, I think Virgil is a more likable guy than Davenport, and I think I relate more to the small town or rural settings that Flowers operates in than I do to Davenport's basically (especially in the earlier novels) big city settings.

Besides, I'll bet Virgil carries a pocket knife, but it would ruin the line of Lucas's tailored trousers! :D
    But Davenport DID have his life saved by his future wife when she did a pen knife tracheotomy on him. :rolleyes:

- GT

Crazy Canuck and Prester John like this.
  20. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    [​IMG]