Traditional Knives and Toys

Yeah, I think Virgil is a more likable guy than Davenport, and I think I relate more to the small town or rural settings that Flowers operates in than I do to Davenport's basically (especially in the earlier novels) big city settings.

Besides, I'll bet Virgil carries a pocket knife, but it would ruin the line of Lucas's tailored trousers! :D
But Davenport DID have his life saved by his future wife when she did a pen knife tracheotomy on him. :rolleyes:

- GT

Virgil definitely does. Holy Ghost was the last book in his series (I'm pretty sure) and he used his pocket knife to pick a lock. I like that there's a little more humor in the Flowers books. I always wondered what kind it was, and what kind Weather used to save Lucas. I kinda imagine Virgil with a Case of some sort....

Really like this photo with the slimline trapper and the BelAire wagon! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

Here's a couple little models I put together of two iconic movies cars some may or may not recognize.

I'm surprised I recognize them, but I'm almost certain those are the cars from the big drag race in American Graffiti, right?
Milner drove the yellow one, and the black one is the Millennium Falcon? :p

- GT

Yeah, I think Virgil is a more likable guy than Davenport, and I think I relate more to the small town or rural settings that Flowers operates in than I do to Davenport's basically (especially in the earlier novels) big city settings.

Besides, I'll bet Virgil carries a pocket knife, but it would ruin the line of Lucas's tailored trousers! :D
But Davenport DID have his life saved by his future wife when she did a pen knife tracheotomy on him. :rolleyes:

- GT
Yes, I like the Flowers novels better than the Prey ones.... although I've read all of them. Lucas is a known type... serious, almost tunnel visioned in his approach to life. Virgil is more laid back, Alan Jackson-ish, until you push his last button.... then he becomes a serious pit bull type attack dog, but then feels a little guilty about it afterwards. I guess he strikes me as being more human, with human doubts and regrets.

Really like this photo with the slimline trapper and the BelAire wagon! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

I'm surprised I recognize them, but I'm almost certain those are the cars from the big drag race in American Graffiti, right?
Milner drove the yellow one, and the black one is the Millennium Falcon? :p

- GT
Thanks.

And yep you got it, they're from American Graffiti.
A custom '55 Chevy, and a '32 Ford Coupe.

This Tiger fan, 16 years old at the time, was thrilled and felt very fortunate that "we" beat Gibson in that Game 7. It was the first World Series Detroit had been in in my lifetime.

I like to play around with a slide rule sometimes, so I guess it's a toy! :rolleyes:
View attachment 1179313

- GT

See your slide rule, raise you one Curta pepper mill.
ED55FFE1-5024-464A-B84D-E5A6F2F0B086.jpeg

I absolutely love the Flowers novels and the Prey series. I think I actually started liking Flowers over Davenport. Glad to know someone else that likes them as well :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
I'm a big fan of Sandford. Have to say I like the Flowers novels better than the Prey series too. I even read the Singular Menace series, which are supposed to be for young adults/teens and thoroughly enjoyed them.

48286109031_7bb2db03fb_h.jpg

That's Great! :D:p:thumbsup:

Confession time...

I don't know how to spin it.

Hold the string between your first two fingers, with the point upward. Throw it at a shallow angle toward the ground so that the string unwinds and starts the top spinning. When it hits the ground it will right itself and spin on the point.

Easier to demonstrate than describe, but once you see it done, it is child’s play.

Hold the string between your first two fingers, with the point upward. Throw it at a shallow angle toward the ground so that the string unwinds and starts the top spinning. When it hits the ground it will right itself and spin on the point.

Easier to demonstrate than describe, but once you see it done, it is child’s play.
I'm sure that works, but I always did it with the point down, and it worked fine.

Confession time...

I don't know how to spin it.

Thanks Rachel. That's pretty cool. Motion looks fairly similar to the one you'd use with a yo-yo.

Here's a couple little models I put together of two iconic movies cars some may or may not recognize.

Cool cars and well matched knives. What Buck is that with the '55 ?
That's Great! :D:p:thumbsup:
Thanks, my neighbors were looking at me like I was some kind of weirdo..... probably because I am.... I mean I do tie knives to toy cars and take pictures of them in the middle of the street. :rolleyes::D

48554537117_068d06ca20_h.jpg

@paulhilborn I really liked your pics of your ol' cap guns.
I dug this one out and was saddened to find out that I am fresh outta ammo. :(:D
I went searching the web for caps, boy was that a mistake, I found a place that had a bunch of old school cap guns and tin toys....I might be in trouble. :D

Back