1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Traditional Knives and Toys

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Just Tom., Aug 9, 2019.

1. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    [​IMG]

Dr-Mabuse, zolthar, cjtamu and 9 others like this.
  2. JD Bear

JD Bear Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 4, 2015
    Virgil definitely does. Holy Ghost was the last book in his series (I'm pretty sure) and he used his pocket knife to pick a lock. I like that there's a little more humor in the Flowers books. I always wondered what kind it was, and what kind Weather used to save Lucas. I kinda imagine Virgil with a Case of some sort....

3. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    Here's a couple little models I put together of two iconic movies cars some may or may not recognize.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dr-Mabuse, Jody744, zolthar and 11 others like this.
  4. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Really like this photo with the slimline trapper and the BelAire wagon! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

I'm surprised I recognize them, but I'm almost certain those are the cars from the big drag race in American Graffiti, right?
    Milner drove the yellow one, and the black one is the Millennium Falcon? :p

- GT

5. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Yes, I like the Flowers novels better than the Prey ones.... although I've read all of them. Lucas is a known type... serious, almost tunnel visioned in his approach to life. Virgil is more laid back, Alan Jackson-ish, until you push his last button.... then he becomes a serious pit bull type attack dog, but then feels a little guilty about it afterwards. I guess he strikes me as being more human, with human doubts and regrets.

6. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    Thanks.

And yep you got it, they're from American Graffiti.
    A custom '55 Chevy, and a '32 Ford Coupe.

Prester John likes this.
  7. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    See your slide rule, raise you one Curta pepper mill.
    ED55FFE1-5024-464A-B84D-E5A6F2F0B086.jpeg

8. mbkr

mbkr

May 20, 2018
    I'm a big fan of Sandford. Have to say I like the Flowers novels better than the Prey series too. I even read the Singular Menace series, which are supposed to be for young adults/teens and thoroughly enjoyed them.

JD Bear likes this.
  9. mbkr

mbkr

May 20, 2018
    That's Great! :D:p:thumbsup:

flatblackcapo likes this.
  10. Henry Beige

Jun 1, 2015
    Hold the string between your first two fingers, with the point upward. Throw it at a shallow angle toward the ground so that the string unwinds and starts the top spinning. When it hits the ground it will right itself and spin on the point.

Easier to demonstrate than describe, but once you see it done, it is child’s play.

zolthar, hornetguy and Prester John like this.
  11. mbkr

mbkr

May 20, 2018
    Har, har, har :p

12. Henry Beige

Jun 1, 2015
    Duck on Trike has been gathering dust a couple of shelves above my knives.

D575687A-156D-4C3A-AE92-0415C199A255.jpeg

Lee D, cjtamu, Just Tom. and 9 others like this.
  13. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Holy Cow! :eek::cool::cool: I'd never heard of this before. Did some superficial Google research - very cool!! :):thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

Henry Beige and Prester John like this.
  14. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    I'm sure that works, but I always did it with the point down, and it worked fine.

Henry Beige likes this.
  15. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010

16. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Cool video! Never did that inside the house, though....

17. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    Thanks Rachel. That's pretty cool. Motion looks fairly similar to the one you'd use with a yo-yo.

18. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    :cool::thumbsup:

19. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo Part time maker, very very part time Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 25, 2012
    Cool cars and well matched knives. What Buck is that with the '55 ?
    Thanks, my neighbors were looking at me like I was some kind of weirdo..... probably because I am.... I mean I do tie knives to toy cars and take pictures of them in the middle of the street. :rolleyes::D

[​IMG]
    @paulhilborn I really liked your pics of your ol' cap guns.
    I dug this one out and was saddened to find out that I am fresh outta ammo. :(:D
    I went searching the web for caps, boy was that a mistake, I found a place that had a bunch of old school cap guns and tin toys....I might be in trouble. :D

20. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016