traditional knives in movies

Definitely delightful detectin' and deducin' you did in that post, Barrett! :):thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

- GT

Well done Barrett, I was thinking the knife was the Wenger Major, but maybe that model even had different names :) I only saw that movie once (couldn't believe how violent it was! :D). It was my Ellie's very first cinema experience, and she loved it so much that, when the movie finished, she cried, because she didn't want it to end! :) :thumbsup:

Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

Jack, like I said, I know almost nothing about Wenger models, but from those first couple shots I thought the knife looked like a pocket brick (I count 8 layers), and I am familiar with a few Victorinox models, so I googled “Wenger SwissChamp equivalent.” That lead me to the Champ, which appears to have the same number of layers and tool layout as the knife shown in the movie. Looks like the Major was slightly slimmer at 5 layers.

I was a kid when those movies came out, right in their target demographic, and I loved them! :D I got the TalkBoy (the tape recorder Kevin uses in the second movie) for Christmas one year. (They got me with that marketing ploy hook, line and sinker. :rolleyes:)

As a parent, I’ve been hesitant to let Eleanor watch them — the kids in those movies are awful! — but we finally gave in this year. She enjoyed them. :D

iu

Basil Rathbone as Sherlock Holmes in the 1946 film Dressed to Kill, Nigel Bruce as Watson left. This has now been colourized and very effectively. Rathbone makes a good slightly vampiric Holmes and the films are set in the then contemporary 1940s rather than Victorian times.

Certainly worth a watch, worth watching too is Patricia Morison as the villainess, she is amazingly charismatic and sexy in an era when women were often just helpless morons :rolleyes: She only recently died in 2018 at the age of 103 :D

What's the knife??? Obviously must be American as that's where the films were made (complete with some ludicrous American attempts at Cockney accents;)) Ebony, Clip, some kind of Copperhead?

screened porch screened porch
I've been watching allot of old westerns on YouTube movies, the free ones anyways lol. The other night I watched the original Magnificent Seven. While James Coburn's character was the "knife guy" with his switchblade, another one caught my eye. In the scene after the 7 first go to the Mexican village they're having a fiesta. Scene cuts to Charles Bronson squatting whittling a whistle, with a daddy barlow! However due to YouTube restrictions I can't screenshot that one with my phone. I've not seen the remake and I'm not sure I want to, Seven Samurai and the Original Magnificent Seven are too classic in my book to be remade. As a side note when I was younger I hated movies with subtitles, then I seen the Kurosawa movie "The Throne of Blood". Real eye opener for sure :thumbsup:
I don't remember if someone dd post pictures of J Coburn's knife. Anyway, such movies deserve to be seen twice or more. ;)7Mercenaires_1.jpg
7Mercenaires_2.jpg

I don't remember if someone dd post pictures of J Coburn's knife. Anyway, such movies deserve to be seen twice or more. ;)View attachment 1475233
View attachment 1475234

Cool knife, but I recall it said somewhere here that switchblades were not invented during the Old West days. If I am wrong, that would be an interesting thing to research. The original Magnificent Seven is very good.

Cool knife, but I recall it said somewhere here that switchblades were not invented during the Old West days. If I am wrong, that would be an interesting thing to research. The original Magnificent Seven is very good.
Hmm not sure about the switch blades correct for the time period either. I wish I could get a screen shot of the barlow Bronson was using to whittle a whistle :thumbsup: but YouTube wont let me :p

Hmm not sure about the switch blades correct for the time period either. I wish I could get a screen shot of the barlow Bronson was using to whittle a whistle :thumbsup: but YouTube wont let me :p
A good view of Bronson and his knife ;
7Mercenaires_4.jpg

A better view of the switchblade. Btw, the Thiers and Italian made switchblade derive of a lockblade (with a mouche)made in Chatellerault since the XVIIIth, the couteau de défense, defence knife.
7Mercenaires_3.jpg
cache_54330182.jpg

cache_56494018.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve never considered myself a connoisseur of the genre, necessarily, but I do enjoy them. Seems like there were a few decent “new” Westerns made 10 or 15 years ago, but not much since then.
Is it a Schrade 881?

Because he tosses the knife from one hand to the other in that scene, I’d guess it’s a prop knife.

Great minds and all that. :D

Maybe something like this? (Ok, it’s probably not old enough, but it’s the knife that originally brought me to The Porch. :D)

p3pgNIg.jpg
messed this question up, I'll try again.

I’ve never considered myself a connoisseur of the genre, necessarily, but I do enjoy them. Seems like there were a few decent “new” Westerns made 10 or 15 years ago, but not much since then.

Because he tosses the knife from one hand to the other in that scene, I’d guess it’s a prop knife.

Great minds and all that. :D

Maybe something like this? (Ok, it’s probably not old enough, but it’s the knife that originally brought me to The Porch. :D)

p3pgNIg.jpg
is it a Schrade 881?

Fritz Lang’s M has a leverlock that was used by the murderer to cut an apple for pieces to lure children. It’s one of the scariest uses of a simple pocket knife.

In a silent Fantomas movie that I watched a while back, several characters used pocket knives for various tasks. It seemed like everybody just reached in their pocket when they needed to cut something. At the time that the movie was made, carrying a knife may have been more common than today.

Switch blades have been around since the mid 1700s for use as folding bayonet and European smith’s were making some very nice examples of pocketable switch blades and Italian stilettos in the early 1800s. So yes they were in the old west days. They might not have been common but some were around and bought by the more wealthy individuals , gamblers and of course outlaws.

Switch blades have been around since the mid 1700s for use as folding bayonet and European smith’s were making some very nice examples of pocketable switch blades and Italian stilettos in the early 1800s. So yes they were in the old west days. They might not have been common but some were around and bought by the more wealthy individuals , gamblers and of course outlaws.

very cool.

Back