traditional knives in movies

Pet Sematary (1989):
Jud (Fred Gwynne) pulls out a large jackknife when he senses Gage (the resurrected boy/monster) in his house. There’s a video clip of this scene on YouTube, but I didn’t post it here due to violent content.

Jim

Last edited:
"Fred Gwynne" reminds me I have to see So Fine again. Fred is the president or dean of a college where Ryan O'Neil is up for tenure, and O'Neil's father Jack Warden is a tailor in trouble with a gangster married to a hot Italian opera singer in whose jeans O'Niel has to escape, but the jeans split, and he accidentally invents jeans with transparent butts, which saves his dad's business....
I'm sure Mr Eddie (Richard Kiel? (Jaws from Bond)) has some knife content in there.

No movie, just one local place that survived, the Louqsor Pathé where I spent hours watching tons of movies when I was a teen ager. Antique Egyptian style in and outside (but you still face the screen :D), not the best place to show a knife (Barbès station).

View attachment 1525612

That looks like an interesting theatre! :thumbsup: I do miss going to the movies. :(

(By the way, I tried to send you a PM but your inbox is full!) ;)

"Fred Gwynne" reminds me I have to see So Fine again. Fred is the president or dean of a college where Ryan O'Neil is up for tenure, and O'Neil's father Jack Warden is a tailor in trouble with a gangster married to a hot Italian opera singer in whose jeans O'Niel has to escape, but the jeans split, and he accidentally invents jeans with transparent butts, which saves his dad's business....
I'm sure Mr Eddie (Richard Kiel? (Jaws from Bond)) has some knife content in there.

The first thing that always comes to my mind when someone mentions Fred Gwynne is My Cousin Vinny.

"What is a 'yute'?" :D

Also, that's a movie that seems like it should have at least one traditional knife in it, but I've watched it enough times to be fairly certain that it does not. :rolleyes:

It seems that the Bowie knife wielded by Brad Pitt as lieutenant Aldo Raine in the movie Inglorious Basterds is going to be auctioned off by Julien´s Auctions in Los Angeles on april 28-29 2021. Estimated selling price: $ 5000 to $ 7000. And for any fetishists out there Michelle Pfeifers Catwoman mask is also for sale...

Here is a couple of Buck 110s and I think a Benchmade from the show Yellowstone. There's several more knives in the series I will try to get a shot of
2HA26Zw.jpg

Bi8qRA9.jpg

om9TFrB.jpg
Also here's a few shots of the knife Ryan Binghams character Walker pulls on Rip during a fight and also secretly pulls on Kayce on way to the "train station" Alot of debate on this knife, some say a Browning but I'm not sure. Any guesses would be appreciated
cv8RXKg.jpg

nF7i4cG.jpg

hXe7LcE.jpg

rGyPg8x.jpg

It seems that the Bowie knife wielded by Brad Pitt as lieutenant Aldo Raine in the movie Inglorious Basterds is going to be auctioned off by Julien´s Auctions in Los Angeles on april 28-29 2021. Estimated selling price: $ 5000 to $ 7000.

Interesting. This also made me realize (and confirm with a few searches) that Inglourious Basterds has somehow never been mentioned in this thread! I’m mostly just disappointed in myself, as I know I’ve watched the movie at least a couple times since I started contributing to this thread. :rolleyes:

Anyways, there's no time like the present, so here are some screenshots of a couple knives in Inglourious Basterds.

The most prominent knife is, of course, Lt. Aldo Raine's (Brad Pitt) Bowie knife. Here are a couple shots showing the blade:

rl8WxMr.png

s0pbEvo.png

And the clearest shot I could find of the handle and sheath:

LBii7y9.png

Another one of the Basterds (Wilhelm Wicki, played by Gedeon Burkhard), who translates during an interrogation scene with a German soldier, has his own stag handled fixed blade that he wears on his belt. I had to edit the righthand side of this screenshot to keep it Porch-friendly. ;)

4K3E67k.png

There are also a couple of SS daggers in the film. The first appears to be the weapon of choice for former-Nazi-turned-Basterd Hugo Stiglitz (Til Schweiger). He can be seen stropping it on his belt just before the rendezvous in the tavern/basement. There isn't a great shot of the whole knife, but there are a couple good closeups of the blade while he strops.

3fD5LIQ.png

Another SS dagger (in its scabbard) is handed over by SS Colonel Hans Landa (the fantastic Christoph Waltz) when he surrenders to Lt. Raine. Here's Raine tucking it into his waistband:

PrSD6bb.png

Shortly after that, he hands it to PFC Utivich (B.J. Novak) after dispatching of Landa's radio operator.

E5hHYFV.png

There are a few other fixed blades featured in the movie (no folders that I could find), but most of the scenes are gruesome and definitely not Porch-appropriate. :thumbsup:

Here’s a photo and some info on the Bowie knife, which I found here:

U3UlElI.jpg

The knife used in the film is a modified Texas Hold ‘Em made by Smith and Wesson. It was modified to give it antique American frontier look. The logo and other markings were polished off, the short steel cross guard was exchanged for a long brass one with curved quillons, and the mesquite fibron handle was replaced with a stag horn.

Bad Day at Black Rock (1955):

The famous ‘Karate’ scene. Spencer Tracy removes a switchblade from Ernest Borgnine’s pocket at about 4:54:

Jim

Great film :cool: I happened to re-watch that exact scene just yesterday! I recall an article in one of the 'Knives' annuals years ago, where someone argued that the West's fascination with Eastern martial arts and Japanese weaponry began with that very scene :thumbsup:

"Judo chop!"
Didn't Pitt have a pretty cool Bouie in WWI in A River Runs Through It? Something about too many brothers with too few girlfriends.
Guess I'll go look.
There was such a movie, without Anthony Hopkins in it, but the only Bowie pictures I find are the Basterds knife.

Last edited:
"Judo chop!"
Didn't Pitt have a pretty cool Bouie in WWI in A River Runs Through It? Something about too many brothers with too few girlfriends.
Guess I'll go look.
There was such a movie, without Anthony Hopkins in it, but the only Bowie pictures I find are the Basterds knife.

You're talking about Legends Of The fall, and it did have Anthony Hopkins in it as the family patriarch. Yes, Pitt's character had a great crown stag handled Bowie in it.

You're talking about Legends Of The fall, and it did have Anthony Hopkins in it as the family patriarch. Yes, Pitt's character had a great crown stag handled Bowie in it.
Thanks. I wondered how I could have misidentified Hopkins. That explains it.

I can only wonder if Bronson liked to whittle. He had a scene in The Magnificent Seven where he uses a granddaddy Barlow to whittle a whistle for a little girl.
Perhaps your right, I know when I'm outside killing time I like to whittle. Even if its just cutting curly shavings off a stick,its calming imho. Looks like a sodbuster style in this shot to me.

Back