Traditionals and Cast Iron Cookware

but since I don't even know what a canola is
It is grown in vast quantities over here, it is like a large Sun Flower that produces a large amount of oil from the seeds.. It is a healthy oil for the heart, arteries and cholesterol, BUT, can go rancid very quickly, and heat it one of the things that make it go rancid, hope this helps.

I should have explained myself better, i meant just for cooking.:thumbsup:

I live in NY (Uggh!@%$)...... I read awhile ago that NYC health department was raising the dickens with kitchens for not running their cast iron cookware through the commercial dishwasher..... They didn't care that the dishwasher would ruin the coating.....

I get upset with such stupidity.....

I live in NY (Uggh!@%$)...... I read awhile ago that NYC health department was raising the dickens with kitchens for not running their cast iron cookware through the commercial dishwasher..... They didn't care that the dishwasher would ruin the coating.....

I get upset with such stupidity.....

And never mind that the heat from cooking will kill the pathogens anyway.

Lodge has a nice document regarding seasoning and various oils to use for it:

https://www.lodgecastiron.com/sites/default/files/2019-09/All About Seasoning_Download_DIGITAL.pdf

Like your thinking. The old quote " Dad Knows A Lot, But Grand Dad Knows Every Thing ".:thumbsup:;)
Do not want to start an argument, but would like to hear opinions on what can be a contentious issue. What are the thoughts of using butter in Cast Iron cooking.:eek::rolleyes:. My forebears always used butter or lard, but there are those who say never use butter when cooking with Cast Iron.:)

How would you make an omelet or a grilled cheese sandwich without using butter?

Want to thank you Wild Willie Wild Willie for starting this thread, just been going back and re reading from your first post, a lot of great stuff. Some really good photos of older Cast Iron cookware with related stories attached and a lot of useful information from posters with a lot of experience. :thumbsup: .

Over the years I have bought new Lodge pans (the standard line) and always season mine with Crisco (that’s what my Grandma and Mother cooked with). For cooking I use Crisco oil (or butter in the pan when its called for but not for seasoning) - one such recipe is my quail or pheasant in rice - start with two or three sticks of butter, melted, then brown your birds, remove and rest while you make your rice in the butter used for browning. When your rice and mushrooms are about ready put your birds back in and simmer up to hot. Ready to eat! OH

A couple of years ago, a good friend of mine decided he was moving out of the mountains to pursue a more nomadic lifestyle and he gave me this 15 1/4" skillet, a larger skillet and a cast aluminum dutch oven. The self basting lid is small, at 14" but still works for this particular skillet.
This is the only Lodge that I have......
IMG_2894.jpg
IMG_2892.jpg
IMG_2893.jpg

Dave

Butter can be used for cooking in or seasoning cast iron with no problem. It's actually a better choice than some oils because it will not become rancid. Butter does even need to be refrigerated and will not go bad sitting on the counter at room temp. I have used butter in my cast iron for many years with no problems. For most cooking though I prefer peanut oil. The only thing that is hard on cast iron pan's seasoning are heavily salted foods and acidic food like tomatoes. Some brands of bacon are heavily salted and will break down the seasoning. But the seasoning is very easy to repair if you damage it with salt or acidic foods. Knowtracks - that elk looks SO GOOD!!!

Last edited:
A question, what is the top end made in America brand of cast iron cook wear, and what would the difference be in cost. E.G. - how much would you pay for a 12 inch fry pan from Lodge, compared to one from the top end brand, and new, not antique collectibles. Just curious, most of the stuff we have over here is Chinese rubbish. Thanks, and have a good weekend everyone, and take care over there.:)

A question, what is the top end made in America brand of cast iron cook wear, and what would the difference be in cost. E.G. - how much would you pay for a 12 inch fry pan from Lodge, compared to one from the top end brand, and new, not antique collectibles. Just curious, most of the stuff we have over here is Chinese rubbish. Thanks, and have a good weekend everyone, and take care over there.:)

A Lodge No. 8 will set you back $20. A Field Company No. 8 costs $125.

A Lodge No. 8 will set you back $20. A Field Company No. 8 costs $125.

And to be honest, lodge at (at least in my opinion) makes a great product... Never have I ever had a problem with the quality of the cookware I've had from them. Sure, the factory seasoning leaves a bit to be desired, but in all honesty that to me is nothing different from having to sharpen a knife fresh from the factory (think gec here). I'm going to save some pennies to try out a higher end pan at some point, but my meals taste just fine to me cooked in lodge. 1608342779656316406892.jpg
Traditional content... T bone in the Griswold.

Back