Tryout and Passaround

Gravelface

Gold Member
I’m not certain if this has been done here, but I’d LOVE to check out a few of Nathan’s knives. I’d be willing to send a Battle Mistress or Steel Heart or Badger for a chance to try out a couple of Nathan’s blades I stand no, to very little chance of getting my mitts on anytime soon. Standard rules apply. No “abuse” beating with metal mauls. Fully insured shipping with signature , open to established members in good standing.....stateside. I’ve got a few Fehrmans, Siegles if anyone want to try them out. Details can be hashed out if any interest in this.

If this violates any rules, please feel free to close.

Last edited:
I can send an HDFK, a Field Knife, a Behemoth, and a 10" Light Chopper. Use them hard, beat the shit out of them, you can't break them.

I'd like to try some of the Busse, though I already know they're good. The Fehrman however I'm not so sure. Would you mind if I set the angle at 20 degrees and put it through its paces here?

Nathan, I don't have a dog in this fight but the 10" LC caught my attention! Are you being lazy (unlike you) by rounding up, because the production LCs IIRC were 9.875 or something! Or is there a Frankenstein 10" LC of some sorts, perhaps the odd looking one which you had pictured last week or so?

Nathan, I don't have a dog in this fight but the 10" LC caught my attention! Are you being lazy (unlike you) by rounding up, because the production LCs IIRC were 9.875 or something! Or is there a Frankenstein 10" LC of some sorts, perhaps the odd looking one which you had pictured last week or so?

Meh, close enough 20200412_211943.jpg

Gravelface Gravelface don't do it, trust me. This is coming from someone who only bought Busse knives for the last 10+ years. Once I got my HDFK I was like ah crap, this feels goooood in my hand, now I have to buy these. I love my Busse knives, but to me, CPK feels like it's the next generation in comparison.

Gravelface Gravelface don't do it, trust me. This is coming from someone who only bought Busse knives for the last 10+ years. Once I got my HDFK I was like ah crap, this feels goooood in my hand, now I have to buy these. I love my Busse knives, but to me, CPK feels like it's the next generation in comparison.

My CPK's definitely hold an edge longer than most any Busse/kin I've had, save one, my Boney Active Duty (BAD), which is hardened more (~62 RC) than most Busse. CPK's are designed, from the ground up, to cut, and cut very well! Busse are mostly designed to be tough and bulletproof, and they're certainly that. But most (especially the choppers) need thinned out behind the edge to get the best performance out of them (though this seems to be getting better in recent years). While I'll freely admit that I haven't beat on my two larger CPK's anywhere near as hard as my Busses, I'm sure they'd take it and likely cut better in the process. My HDFK has impressed the hell out of me with the little bit I've used it, and I can't wait to wail on my Behemother this summer! :cool:

The difference is in the names, really. Busse Combat Knives and Carothers Performance Knives. Both excellent, top-notch brands IMO, but different.

That HDFK is looking like a perfect sized between the Badger and Steel Heart. I’m pretty excited to check it out! And a Behemoth.....well, that just like getting to play with a baby Godzilla, that should just be fun.

I believe I know the door I’m opening soon as I see these. I’m beyond grateful to Nathan for this opportunity!

Big fan. Always wished I could try some of these models out before dropping the money on them. Especially the discontinued items that go for a premium. I've dropped the equivalent of a nice used camery on items over the last year without having had the chance to try them. Never disappointed, but still, if I had a more reasonable budget I'd want to know before spending 400, 500,700, or more.

My only fear, personally and as lame as it sounds, is damaging my more rare discontinued pieces. I'd be happy to loan them out for ergonomic tests in the hand. However, I'd be pretty bummed if something happened to things like my shiv or potato knife :(

I had a Bushwhacker Mistress that I tested against my LC. It came to me second hand but unused, and its performance with the stock grind was shit, I mean I'm not even sure how anyone could think it would work well with an edge like that.
Once the primary bevels were reground, it functioned as it should and the steel and its heat treatment showed a lot of resilience.
It would chop through the same log with fewer strokes that the LC, but I credit the additional weight with providing that benefit. In fact, I tested the LC against the BWM against the HC, and the HC out chopped the others. It was about the same amount of additional weight as the BWM to the LC and similar upgrade in chopping performance. Not exactly a controlled scientific testing, but I think that all other things being equal, weight will determine the number of strikes it takes to get through something.
The other thing I had a hard time with on the BWM was the handle. While the shape of the handle felt good to hold, in use I found that it didn't stay put in my hand the way I like. Flared tube fasteners look awesome and provide a really solid mechanical fastening method, and feel good if they're done right when I'm just holding the knife, but I found them to far too noticeable when chopping. To my way of thinking, I don't want to notice or be distracted by anything about a knife that I'm using, other than the job it's doing.
I've always wanted a Battle Mistress, but after using that BWM and all these CPKs I have a feeling I'd be disappointed. One of those 'meet your heroes' type things. Not trying to shit on Busse, as I have a lot of respect for the company and understand the rationale behind why the knives are ground the way they are, but I'm definitely spoiled by the P in CPK...

I feel that. I actually went a step further and sold all my Busse knives once I started buying CPK’s. I still get tempted by the odd Busse now and then, but that’s as far as it gets.

I've sold about all my other fixed blades but I want to play too.

I've got edc1, edc2, edc3, fk1, Fk2, hdfk, UF, Def, shiv, and a tater knife. A couple different steel choices as well.

Love to hold a BM(lol), BC, hdmc, MC, and a comp chopper to see if I'd be interested. I don't plan to use/abuse, just want to see if I like the size/feel/ext.

PM me if anyone wants to swap for a few days.

Last edited:
I had a Bushwhacker Mistress that I tested against my LC. It came to me second hand but unused, and its performance with the stock grind was shit, I mean I'm not even sure how anyone could think it would work well with an edge like that.
Once the primary bevels were reground, it functioned as it should and the steel and its heat treatment showed a lot of resilience.
It would chop through the same log with fewer strokes that the LC, but I credit the additional weight with providing that benefit. In fact, I tested the LC against the BWM against the HC, and the HC out chopped the others. It was about the same amount of additional weight as the BWM to the LC and similar upgrade in chopping performance. Not exactly a controlled scientific testing, but I think that all other things being equal, weight will determine the number of strikes it takes to get through something.
The other thing I had a hard time with on the BWM was the handle. While the shape of the handle felt good to hold, in use I found that it didn't stay put in my hand the way I like. Flared tube fasteners look awesome and provide a really solid mechanical fastening method, and feel good if they're done right when I'm just holding the knife, but I found them to far too noticeable when chopping. To my way of thinking, I don't want to notice or be distracted by anything about a knife that I'm using, other than the job it's doing.
I've always wanted a Battle Mistress, but after using that BWM and all these CPKs I have a feeling I'd be disappointed. One of those 'meet your heroes' type things. Not trying to shit on Busse, as I have a lot of respect for the company and understand the rationale behind why the knives are ground the way they are, but I'm definitely spoiled by the P in CPK...
I will say that I do like my Busse B11 with the resiprene handles for chopping. It's very comfortable and just absorbs impact without any tube fasteners or screws to distract you. The edge was definitely thick though, I have a semi convex edge on it now that does much better.

I don't own any Busse, never have, never will. Nothing against them as I have seen and read enough from esteemed members to know that for the right person, they are fine knives. I am not the right customer if I need to send brand new knives out to have primary bevels reworked. Prior to Nathan's work, I was in the average Joe typa pedestrian knife crowd, a few 1095s from the usual suspect makers before I wandered into BF.com because the Internets had brought me to this Site by researching a LionSteel M7 which then led me to S!K as that maker was the cat's meow and all the rage back in early 2016. Well, we know by now as to how that one all went down :rolleyes:

If no more Nathan for whatever reason like he decides to become a yoga guru or something (he carries the looks), I will get outta knife hobby. Ping Pong and crochet call my name but I'm super picky!

Back