Tryout and Passaround

I don't own any Busse, never have, never will. Nothing against them as I have seen and read enough from esteemed members to know that for the right person, they are fine knives. I am not the right customer if I need to send brand new knives out to have primary bevels reworked. Prior to Nathan's work, I was in the average Joe typa pedestrian knife crowd, a few 1095s from the usual suspect makers before I wandered into BF.com because the Internets had brought me to this Site by researching a LionSteel M7 which then led me to S!K as that maker was the cat's meow and all the rage back in early 2016. Well, we know by now as to how that one all went down :rolleyes:

If no more Nathan for whatever reason like he decides to become a yoga guru or something (he carries the looks), I will get outta knife hobby. Ping Pong and crochet call my name but I'm super picky!
So for $300-$700 or more, you expect a knife to be sharp? :confused:;):D

On a scale of 1-10 can anyone attest to the “grippiness” of TeroTuff compared to buffed micarta ?
I am leaning towards a HDMC in TeroTuff as my next purchase. If this does turn into a pass around, I’d love to test drive that combo ;).

TT might be more akin to unbuffed micarta, especially with some miles on it and it's been polished by hand a bit. Buffed micarta isn't going to be as grippy as either of them, for sure.

Having said that, NtM places a big emphasis on the handle shape first and foremost for grip and minimizing hand fatigue. If you've not had the pleasure to swing a CPK chopper, that's what will blow your mind first (the handle ergonomics) before the texture.

^ those aren't Bowies. I'm not saying there's nothing wrong with them, I'm just saying they're not Bowies either...

:D

Technically, you are correct, but it seems that people just have to label things. Bowie, Nessmuk, Kephart, etc.

Besides that, no one really knows what Bowie's knife looked like. Some contemporaries said that it was a large butcher knife.

^ those aren't Bowies. I'm not saying there's nothing wrong with them, I'm just saying they're not Bowies either...

:D

I said Bowie slash Clip Point... :p Yes, I know "Bowie" is neither well-defined, nor a good generalization either. ;) ETA - yes, I noticed the double-negative and your deep-seated contempt for Bowie/clip-points... :(

Besides that, no one really knows what Bowie's knife looked like. Some contemporaries said that it was a large butcher knife.
True...

Agreed Chip. Nothing against Bowie's but the takeaway for me was sharp point puncture balloon (nothing new right?) Felt that argument was for any knife with a sharp tip, not just a bowie .

Did not understand the balloon demo. Maybe I am missing something.
It’s to show how a leading point concentrates the force of a cut. The primary edge is sharp enough to shave but it still pushes the balloon without popping it. But when you turn the knife around, the point is leading and when it contacts the balloon it pops right away. When you do a back cut by turning a bowie knife you're cutting with the clip point, it’s like an animal’s claw, it concentrates the force into the point and drives the blade in deep while gathering your cutting medium into the curved edge to be cut. You can back cut with a dagger too but daggers have a trailing point on both sides, while bowies have a leading point on the back cut and that’s why I like bowies and think they’re so rad.

Back