Twenty Years on BF Giveaway - Winners announced in posts 40 and 48

And we have a winner! I'm curious - How did you arrive at this answer? I can think of a couple ways it could have been figured out, I want to know how you did it. PM me with your choice of knife and mailing address. I probably won't ship it until next week when the other two winners are chosen.

I spotted this lake on the 7.5' map a number of years ago and had an itch to go there for a long time before it actually happened. It is away from trails (and ended up requiring over half a mile of boulder hopping with a full pack to get there). I asked on HighSierraTopix if they knew of anyone who had been there. HighSierraTopix has a lot of hard core off trail sierra folks, and if anyone knew, someone there would. The collective answer was that no, they had never heard of anyone going there. I saw zero human trace there - no footprints, old campsites, old fire rings, garbage of any kind.

Here are some pictures of the lake itself (as you can see from the satellite image, it consists of two small connected lakes - a round one and a long narrow one):
YMpC6Vq.jpg

Ra0JI84.jpg

t5FApfB.jpg

And an evening shot looking toward Mt Whitney from camp:
8xb6vLg.jpg

Our camp was on the knoll between the two sections. The only sound was a Clark's Nutcracker that took offense at our presence and talked to us for a while.

The bowl immediately north of the lake, which we crossed on the way in, was also very nice and also had zero human trace:
85tSlES.jpg

Now to choose two winners from the pictures. Keep the pictures coming, you have until next Tuesday at 6PM Pacific time.
Wow, thank you so much, both for the giveaway and for the absolutely stunning pics! I try to only enter a couple giveaways a year, and this one really intrigued me, for a couple of reasons!

I am not positive I would have left your campsite! I have daydreams about grabbing a bag and a few knives and just finding a remote location to hike and clear my mind! Your pictures of the area are just fantastic!

I have been crazy busy with work for a few months now, lotta long hours and late nights. I have a couple laptops set up on my desk, and things came together just right last night. I had to run some long processes on one, so decided to use the other for "research". After staring at your pic for a while and flailing around in google maps, I realized there were just a few main areas where you might see trees growing part way up the mountains. So I pulled up google earth and skimmed around those areas. The major thing that caught my eye was the lines running down the sides of Mt. Guyot (I think), which I recognized from your pic. So using that as a focal point I skimmed around to find the general panorama of your pic. From there I focused on the elevation perspective of your location relative to the mountains. That greatly narrowed the possibilities to just a few lakes, and it was an a-ha moment when I found it!

All in all, probably spent a couple hours searching around, and had the ability to be (semi) productive at the same time. First time using google earth since it first came out a long time ago. It's amazing, and a bit unsettling, to navigate around in there!

I'll shoot you a PM tomorrow. Thanks again!

Wow, thank you so much, both for the giveaway and for the absolutely stunning pics! I try to only enter a couple giveaways a year, and this one really intrigued me, for a couple of reasons!

I am not positive I would have left your campsite! I have daydreams about grabbing a bag and a few knives and just finding a remote location to hike and clear my mind! Your pictures of the area are just fantastic!

I have been crazy busy with work for a few months now, lotta long hours and late nights. I have a couple laptops set up on my desk, and things came together just right last night. I had to run some long processes on one, so decided to use the other for "research". After staring at your pic for a while and flailing around in google maps, I realized there were just a few main areas where you might see trees growing part way up the mountains. So I pulled up google earth and skimmed around those areas. The major thing that caught my eye was the lines running down the sides of Mt. Guyot (I think), which I recognized from your pic. So using that as a focal point I skimmed around to find the general panorama of your pic. From there I focused on the elevation perspective of your location relative to the mountains. That greatly narrowed the possibilities to just a few lakes, and it was an a-ha moment when I found it!

All in all, probably spent a couple hours searching around, and had the ability to be (semi) productive at the same time. First time using google earth since it first came out a long time ago. It's amazing, and a bit unsettling, to navigate around in there!

I'll shoot you a PM tomorrow. Thanks again!

Google Earth is pretty powerful if you know how to use it.

The reason the trees are only growing part way up the mountains is because that is the timberline, which is at about 11,500' in that area. Mt Whitney is 14,508'.

Sure, why not. But you missed the chance to guess the location in order to get first choice. You would have won it due to insider knowledge.

I didn't see this thread until after the location had been guessed, but I knew where it was with your opening description of the contest - the one place where no one on HighSierraTopix had been that you told me about after going there. But I did not qualify since I have not met the minimum post count in this forum.

And now, drumroll please! As previously noted, A akaMatt guessed the mystery location and got first choice. Now to choose the other winners. It was very hard to choose, there were a lot of pictures of places I would love to visit and just sit and enjoy the peace and quiet. However, the choice has to be made...

Instead of just two winning pictures, there will be three, so all three remaining knives are in play. AkaMatt chose the 501, so that leaves the GEC29, Buck 110, and French Violin knife. The following winners should send me their choice, ranking the three available knives with the one they want the most on top of their list. And those winners are:

First prize for the pictures is for Onebigbill Onebigbill . Please tell me where that picture was taken.
What a great GAW and idea for a format. I love solitude on a good trout stream and fish the limestone creeks of upstate Pennsylvania. This entry is not in PA but I've spent time here in meditation. Brings me peace to be in such places. Thanks for your thoughtful remarks.
View attachment 1373606

Second prize for pictures goes to chuck4570 chuck4570
If it’s OK I would like to change my mind, that litte French Violin knife intrigues me, I still don’t have a clue where your pictures are from but I will share one. My picture is taken from a bank on the Nowitna River in Alaska, went on a 8 day Moose hunt with my BIL, just the solitude, silence, sounds and scenery were absolutely amazing. My picture doesn’t do it justice. But I will never forget this spot.
View attachment 1373726

Third prize for pictures goes to JohnDF
Some beautiful scenery right there.
It reminds me of the Muir/Dinky area above Courtright Reservoir, California. (California is not all Disneyland and Beaches ;) )
Congratulations on your twenty years and hosting this very generous GAW. Good luck everybody, can't wait to find out where it is.

For the picture winners - please PM me your choices ranking the knives, along with your mailing addresses. I would like to get all of these sent out by Friday. And to everyone else, thanks for the pictures! It was a hard choice!

And now, drumroll please! As previously noted, A akaMatt guessed the mystery location and got first choice. Now to choose the other winners. It was very hard to choose, there were a lot of pictures of places I would love to visit and just sit and enjoy the peace and quiet. However, the choice has to be made...

Instead of just two winning pictures, there will be three, so all three remaining knives are in play. AkaMatt chose the 501, so that leaves the GEC29, Buck 110, and French Violin knife. The following winners should send me their choice, ranking the three available knives with the one they want the most on top of their list. And those winners are:

First prize for the pictures is for Onebigbill Onebigbill . Please tell me where that picture was taken.

For the picture winners - please PM me your choices ranking the knives, along with your mailing addresses. I would like to get all of these sent out by Friday. And to everyone else, thanks for the pictures! It was a hard choice!
Congrats to the winners! Wonderful giveaway. :thumbsup:

Well done guys...some beautiful landscapes.
Im booked on the next flight to Beavers Bend via Blue Knob.
I ventured up Gulaga aka Mt Dromedary with my youngest Son..last week...next time Ill be sure to walk the Kokoda Track just for a warm up....
We did meet a couple of strange characters in that ancient and misty forest.....

So very generous of you and i'm honored you picked my picture.
I've spent a lot of time there running the Dusy trail in my Jeep.
If possible, I'd like to pass on my winnings to someone else.
You can pick another winner or i can nominate one.
Thanks again for reminding me why I like the mountains so much.

Thank you very much for picking my photo for first place.

So very generous of you and i'm honored you picked my picture.
I've spent a lot of time there running the Dusy trail in my Jeep.
If possible, I'd like to pass on my winnings to someone else.
You can pick another winner or i can nominate one.
Thanks again for reminding me why I like the mountains so much.

OK, I will choose another one.

abbydaddy abbydaddy - You are now the third prize winner for the pictures. Please send me you preference for knives ranked in order, along with your shipping address. I'd like to get these all shipped by Friday.

I'm trying not to enter GAWs, and I don't have any guess for your photo. But I wanted to share a photo from a mountain on the Seward Peninsula that a friend and I climbed.

It doesn't have a name that I know of, but it had some interesting looking tors up top, so we decided to go for it. There was definitely no trail anywhere in the area, but up top there were old rock cairns, so we clearly weren't the first humans to ever summit the mountain, but the cairns and inookshook looked quite ancient. It was the best, most rewarding, and most challenging hike I have ever been on (the approach to the mountain was all boggy tundra, and the climb was almost all rubble, I am no mountaineer, and it was a spur of the moment climb we decided on because we were exploring down the beach near the mountain).

It was pretty isolated. View attachment 1373248

Edit: I'll also add that island on the left is named Sledge Island, and even though I grew up seeing it every day, I've never been to it. Prehistorically it was inhabited, and historically the local Inupiat people would gather eggs there seasonally, but it is a wildlife refuge now. Apparently the currents around the island can be tricky. I do hope to make it out there some time before I die, though since I don't live up there any more, the chances aren't great.

Fun giveaway. Congrats to the winners. Thanks to Lambertiana for contest, and the lovely wilderness pics.

Back