Umnumzaan pics

Until?

If I see a MagnaCut tanto 'zaan pop up in the Exchange from a credible source, at a fair price, I may not be able to resist. That said, that's not a given.

I do have the 31 tanto...

Almost bit me! I didn’t realize the swedged top drop point area was sharpened.
Was that serious? Is the swedge really sharp enough to cut? I wouldn't have expected that either. If it is, it may have me rethinking the drop point vs the tanto decision for my zaan, assuming the tanto is safer in that area.

Don't go strictly by the diagram on the CRK site as far as the opening method. The important thing is to get some of the thumb or thumb nail and pad behind and toward the frame side and then push the stud out and up toward 10.30 or 11 if you were holding the knife vertically.

It will work in with repeated openings, and when it begins working more smoothly, it will be an "aha" moment. It can be frustrating at first, but we've all, or mostly all, been there.

Was that serious? Is the swedge really sharp enough to cut? I wouldn't have expected that either. If it is, it may have me rethinking the drop point vs the tanto decision for my zaan, assuming the tanto is safer in that area.
The Swedge isn’t “ sharpened” but it’s not blunt. I’ve never had one sharp enough to cut me but it makes a great scraper and package opener to keep tape off your blade.

Never seen another one in person so this is all I have to go on. This one is in absolute new condition so I assume they all are like that but it is sharp. In context, it’s not as nearly as sharp as the sharpened cutting edge of the blade but this one could fairly easily cut you. I can see the grind marks on it that are in contrast to the rest of the stonewashed or tumbled or? Finish so it was definitely sharpened. Others would have to comment on theirs. I suppose it’s possible that someone sharpened it.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Don't go strictly by the diagram on the CRK site as far as the opening method. The important thing is to get some of the thumb or thumb nail and pad behind and toward the frame side and then push the stud out and up toward 10.30 or 11 if you were holding the knife vertically.

It will work in with repeated openings, and when it begins working more smoothly, it will be an "aha" moment. It can be frustrating at first, but we've all, or mostly all, been there.
Thanks for the info. I’m going to work on it.

I got my Zaan in August. Tried to open it twice, gave up and put it away. A couple of weeks later Blues mentioned his broke in with use so I actively tried again. Forward from the back with a little up, riding the frame. I took the clip off and it seemed to be easier to open for me. After about 2 weeks it's as smooth as butter.

I picked up an Inkosi and using a similar approach from behind / below the pointy thumb stub isn't an issue.

It’s me. I took this one apart, cleaned the dried black gunk out of it, slicked up the washers a bit, lubed it and put it back together. The pivot was originally very tight too. Though it was smooth, I still couldn’t open it with my thumb. I sat around and opened it and closed it a few hundred times (literally) with my fingers while sitting in front of the tv. Not opening it all the way, just bringing it up and off the detent. It is very smooth. I did bend the clip slightly to bring it up off the frame lock bar also. The natural way I hold it puts my fingers right on the frame lock bar and I am no doubt putting enough pressure on it to make it very difficult to break open. When I grip it a little further toward the back of the frame, put my fingers on the top lip of the clip and push my thumb more in an upward manner instead of the natural outward movement that I assumed it needed (prior to blues tip) it opens fine.
Obviously it’s a learning curve and a grip adjustment issue for me. I’m really glad because it’s a bitchin design.

Back