Unveiling the BYXCO "Black Magic" Honing Plate

I've never issued coupon codes for the website, as I prefer to adopt the "everyday low prices" model so it's always the best time to buy. I just set the lowest margins I'm able to have while remaining sustainable and let things be from there. :)

That's cool. There's just a spot to enter them during check out so I figured it was worth a shot!

Yeah, I'd take it out if I could, but it's hard-coded into our present e-commerce platform. :p

Damn, that Hexaloy looks like it might make an interesting knife blade, like for a paring knife.

Silicon carbide is REALLY brittle and wouldn't support a form as thin as a paring knife. Zirconia ceramic is usually used for ceramic knives because of its relatively high toughness for a ceramic material, and even those are notorious for chipping easily.

Workin' on it. Only have so much capital to throw around, and I have multiple projects ongoing at the moment. :)

Workin' on it. Only have so much capital to throw around, and I have multiple projects ongoing at the moment. :)

Just wanted to say it's awesome to see people experimenting and pushing the limits with new abrasives, especially American companies. Even though I've been dabbling with bonded diamonds lately, I'd still like to see more attempts to produce finer grit coated diamond plates. Everyone stops at 1200 grit except DMT, and there offerings above EF are relatively limited.

FortyTwoBlades FortyTwoBlades What are the chance's of us ever seeing an edge pro size Black Magic Sintered Silicon Carbide version of that stone you sell.

I think out of all the stones you sell that one for sure makes the most sense to make for an edge pro format size.

I'd have to look into the tooling costs, but it's the most likely one out of the models we currently produce.

wade7575 wade7575 What makes this a better fit for guided sharpeners than e.g. the Arctic Fox? I would be interested in either but I'm not sure I could afford the Black Magic.

wade7575 wade7575 What makes this a better fit for guided sharpeners than e.g. the Arctic Fox? I would be interested in either but I'm not sure I could afford the Black Magic.

Mostly the fact that it basically doesn't shed grit so it's going to remain almost exactly the same thickness throughout its lifetime.

If you ever do make in edge pro format I'll be first in line,what's the grit of that stone about would you say,I also like the fact it seems like a fast cutter as well when compared to stones like it not just the fact it will stay flat for a long time.

I'd have to look into the tooling costs, but it's the most likely one out of the models we currently produce.

FortyTwoBlades FortyTwoBlades What grit would you say the Silicon Carbide is ?

Grit rating is kind of irrelevant with sintered materials. Most sintered materials are done in a carefully graded mix to impart various mechanical properties on the resulting fused part. The mix used to produced these plates has a maximum grit size of 12µm with most of the particles being much finer, and the surface produced is quite smooth. You can modulate the effective aggressiveness by lapping the surface with different sizes of diamond grits, but as it comes in the as-fired state it produces a brilliant glossy mirror finish that could probably be estimated as being equivalent to sub-micron finishes.

Again, actual grit size is irrelevant, so comparison based on micron size isn't really straightforward, especially since the grain size is only one of a multitude of factors that impact the resulting edge finish. But the finish produced with the as-fired surface finish of the stone is a bright mirror. You can consider it similar to a Spyderco Ultrafine or finer. The issue here is you're asking an apples question when we're dealing with oranges, if that makes sense. I realize you're looking for info that can help you figure out where it fits in a progression, but all I can tell you is that it produces a bright mirror finish. I can try taking a piece of steel, mirror polishing it, and then rubbing it on the plate to show the finish, though. I'll just need to find something appropriately hard since that does matter in polishing work. I think I have some appropriate scrap, though.

Back