Attention UPDATED EXCHANGE RULES

Status
Not open for further replies.
@craytab - what am I missing?

The new "total selling price" isn't specific as to whether that includes shipping or not. Shipping costs can be substantial for internationally shipped packages.

F&F is "strongly discouraged" but not outright disallowed.

My read of the new rules is that there has been an attempt to disallow/clarify what all that "net to me" language was implying. Is "net" net of shipping costs, net of PP fees, net of (as someone else pointed out) gas money to get to the post office? But I'm now trying to make sure I/we understand what "total" implies.

Maybe all of this just falls under rule 7: "Be specific with all details of payment."

From what I gather the intent of the rule change was to push sellers to post one price for an item, a number that a buyer could type into a Paypal transaction, write on a check or MO, or mail in cash with no extra effort needed.

To me this means posting only one price which factors in shipping, fees, labor, and any other factor that the seller might feel would affect the price. Obviously international shipping is more expensive than domestic, so I wouldn’t expect the final price to be set in stone for international transactions. However the price of an item is often negotiated in private outside the thread before a sale is finalized so I figure any international price would be negotiated in private as well.

If you sell or buy items using F&F you are defrauding Paypal, that decision is between you and Paypal but it is frowned upon for good reason. Just because it isn’t banned doesn’t mean it’s acceptable.

Looking at a few exchange threads this AM - some folks haven't read the rule updates :rolleyes:
This could be a busy week or 3 for the mods. :(

Ray

This was very much needed!
It is a very simple concept, get the price you want or can live with for the item after shipping, fees etc are deducted.
Do your own damn math!
I have skipped many a purchase because the seller didn't list a tyd price.

As a seller I never wanted to risk losing my PP account due to infractions like adding fees.
I've always felt that it was only a matter of time until PP really clamped down on this.

I have skipped many a purchase because the seller didn't list a tyd price.
Ditto.
When ever I encounter a sales ad containing FF or the moronic 'net to me' and/or 'add X %,' I simply move on.
The one time, I politely asked a seller to please give me a PP GS price, it ended in a clusterf..k.

I am thankful for the common sense adjustment to selling rules ...

seems pretty straight forward and simple ... it basically just says post one price for your sale item ... if you believe it's worth $X dollars plus 3% or 4.5% ... then do the math and post the total ...

and buyers will decide if the price is what they want to pay or decide not to ... but a buyer won't have to do math to figure out what the price is ... and the sale threads that ask for an extra 4.5% for PayPal G&S are gone ... since that is just a way to charge more as the fees aren't that high for in country sales anyway ...

and have to add ... it's threads like this with some of the just argumentive post ... that always make me think the Mods ... are severely under paid ... and under appreciated.

I've always felt that it was only a matter of time until PP really clamped down on this.
I think so, too. Paypal offers a nice service that allows one to send money to family without having to pay a fee, and I'm surprised they haven't done away with this courtesy due to abuse.

Man this is a lot to read.....

So- is PayPal the only way we can accept money for a transaction? Or at least post the sales price?

if I say “$110 total via PayPal”, what if someone wants to send me money via Venmo or cash app? Am I not aloud to post that price in the listing ? Because it would be a little less with no fees attached.

Thanks

You can take any type of payment you’d like this is just to simplify people not adding fees in on their own and making buyers do the math.

Good rule. Former “Net to me” Sellers will probably notice interest in their sales go up after they implement this standardization. FWIW, I typically ignore ads with that bs in there, or at the very least add the Fees Voluntarily for my own peace of mind.

Good rule. Former “Net to me” Sellers will probably notice interest in their sales go up after they implement this standardization. FWIW, I typically ignore ads with that bs in there, or at the very least add the Fees Voluntarily for my own peace of mind.

I noticed that other sellers added the fees for PayPal, and a lot of knives I have bought always said net. So I followed suit. I’m on other forums and they do the same.
I don’t know why you refer this to as bullshit, but I certainly didn’t know people where offended by it. I guess when you’re selling things you try to recoup as much as possible. I always ship priority and that comes with my price.
It’s really not a big deal to add a few bucks to the listing but I had no clue that people complained about this.

Man this is a lot to read.....

So- is PayPal the only way we can accept money for a transaction? Or at least post the sales price?

if I say “$110 total via PayPal”, what if someone wants to send me money via Venmo or cash app? Am I not aloud to post that price in the listing ? Because it would be a little less with no fees attached.

Thanks
As rycen said you can take the money in any legal form(though PP F&F is discouraged) you and the buyer agree on. The majority are using PP, so that is what is often what posters will refer to. If you offer the sale by PP G&S you can always reduce it during the negotiating process for lower fee options- or make a list of all your options as long as it is one(all inclusive) price for each. Most are going to want to pay PP.
Not a moderator but that is what I read.

I noticed that other sellers added the fees for PayPal, and a lot of knives I have bought always said net. So I followed suit. I’m on other forums and they do the same.
I don’t know why you refer this to as bullshit, but I certainly didn’t know people where offended by it. I guess when you’re selling things you try to recoup as much as possible. I always ship priority and that comes with my price.
It’s really not a big deal to add a few bucks to the listing but I had no clue that people complained about this.
When you go to the store does the clerk make you calculate the sales tax ? It's common sense to list the net price and it's bs that sellers think it's acceptable.

When you go to the store does the clerk make you calculate the sales tax ? It's common sense to list the net price and it's bs that sellers think it's acceptable.

Thanks for your opinion. It’s pretty simple math. But like I said before- I noticed most knives I bought had this in the listing so I did it as well.
And something else I mentioned in my post above- I’m on other forums that do the same. I never thought anything of it.

People seem to be really fired up about this. But I am pretty sure that most people that sell on here (the traditional knives forums anyway) are also buyers. It’s not like a certain group is taking advantage of another group. I think it’s just culture of selling on forums.

That's not surprising, as the overwhelming majority of your participation on this forum has been in the sales forums. Which is fine, but for those people who are here virtually only to buy and sell knives and never look at any thread that isn't in the FSOT subforums, it makes sense that you wouldn't understand the forum culture. There's nothing inherently wrong with only being here for FSOT, but this place is a lot different than the Instagram knife culture.

It wasn't so widespread when I joined; so it's likely that people saw other people doing it, and followed suit...without realizing how large a portion of the membership they were losing. There are frequent discussions on the subject; but one would have to venture outside of the Exchange in order to see them.

It’s pretty simple math.
And yet the stores still don't make you do it. How about that!

And something else I mentioned in my post above- I’m on other forums that do the same.
There are other forums that allow clones and have no problem with them. The BF community holds itself to a higher standard than following the masses.

I think it’s just culture of selling on forums.
It's a culture of dishonesty and trying to pass on the cost of using the service to another person when PP explicitly states that it's against their policy. The Traditionals forum is a different breed and I imagine they don't mind the fees because of the tenacity with which they pursue their limited runs.

Also, there are such things as bad cultures.

That's not surprising, as the overwhelming majority of your participation on this forum has been in the sales forums. Which is fine, but for those people who are here virtually only to buy and sell knives and never look at any thread that isn't in the FSOT subforums, it makes sense that you wouldn't understand the forum culture. There's nothing inherently wrong with only being here for FSOT, but this place is a lot different than the Instagram knife culture.

For what it’s with I’ve never sold a knife on IG... but thanks for generalizing.

I actually just figured out how to post pics on here, so I’ll be participating more. I did it by chance when I first joined- then I couldn’t figure it out as I was new to imgur and I’m not too techy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back