• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad User SCRIM - Received refund on knife when USPS seemed to have lost, it was then delivered, he refused to appropriately send back at my cost.

I put people on my ignore list because I neither have the time or the inclination to deal with bad faith buyers/sellers and the drama they bring.

Its a tool that’s here to help you filter potential problems out, and this character is definitely a potential problem.
Yes, and if you've been around long enough, your ignore list should be filled with people put there explicitly so you don't accidentally get involved in a transaction. Not that you don't want to see what they have to say, because let's face it, these threads can be very entertaining. What you don't want is for a thread like this to happen, then 5 years later, after not adding the subject of a bad thread to your ignore list (even after being warned to do so by me) you forget all about the incident and get into a transaction with a person you actually want to avoid, simply because you forgot the username and didn't do a GB&U search.

The ignore list isn't just for ignoring assholes like me. It's for helping you to avoid the people who constantly have problems in transactions, just like this thread. Prime freaking example.

🤣

Wow, this is confusing to say the least. From what I can tell, Scrim hasn't really short-changed anyone according to forum rules. Did I miss something from these? I don't have the time nor desire to go through them all but looks like he gets into arguments. However, this isn't breaking any rules as far as I know. The main thing is most of these were around 5 years ago and believe people can change and do better with time. His feedback score has proven that and 5 years is a long time. Yes, the pandemic tries and tests true character but also a reminder we are all human too. I know I've done things I might regret 5+ years ago and just as wouldn't want people to hold them against me, I don't hold SCRIMs against him. Am I saying he is the most enjoyable, friendly, kind, and generous human being on here? No. However, with his feedback and given the circumstances surrounding this present day issue, I'll cut some slack and give him another chance that's for sure.

I guess the broader question could be....Why do we put people on the "ignore" list? Have they really broken any Bladeforums rules or do we not like their personality or communication styles?" I guess it depends on the person and everyone is entitled to their "why's".
Pressure from the community caused him to not short-change anyone, his intent to do so was/is clear by his behavior.

Um, yeah, he has problems going back 5 years. And guess what? They are the exact same problems he has now. So, go ahead and take the risk getting into a transaction with him. It will probably go fine. That said, there is evidence of how things go when they go wrong with scrim. Is the risk worth the possible drama filled hostility? Possibly getting scammed? Most here think not.

And while what scrim has done may be not explicitly against the rules or illegal, the GB&U is the place for us to air out issues not evident in a feedback score.

Just like craytab says , the ignore button can be used for many reasons , gilbert and scrim are both on my list for two different reasons .
I don't know if it the corona or just a sign of the times but many have been added in the recent months .

🤣

Wow, this is confusing to say the least. From what I can tell, Scrim hasn't really short-changed anyone according to forum rules. Did I miss something from these? I don't have the time nor desire to go through them all but looks like he gets into arguments. However, this isn't breaking any rules as far as I know. The main thing is most of these were around 5 years ago and believe people can change and do better with time. His feedback score has proven that and 5 years is a long time. Yes, the pandemic tries and tests true character but also a reminder we are all human too. I know I've done things I might regret 5+ years ago and just as wouldn't want people to hold them against me, I don't hold SCRIMs against him. Am I saying he is the most enjoyable, friendly, kind, and generous human being on here? No. However, with his feedback and given the circumstances surrounding this present day issue, I'll cut some slack and give him another chance that's for sure.

I guess the broader question could be....Why do we put people on the "ignore" list? Have they really broken any Bladeforums rules or do we not like their personality or communication styles?" I guess it depends on the person and everyone is entitled to their "why's".
Putting people on ignore is helpful. I will forget about the ones that were dishonest, or got nasty, and unreasonable when unfortunate circumstances arose.

Yes, and if you've been around long enough, your ignore list should be filled with people put there explicitly so you don't accidentally get involved in a transaction. Not that you don't want to see what they have to say, because let's face it, these threads can be very entertaining. What you don't want is for a thread like this to happen, then 5 years later, after not adding the subject of a bad thread to your ignore list (even after being warned to do so by me) you forget all about the incident and get into a transaction with a person you actually want to avoid, simply because you forgot the username and didn't do a GB&U search.

The ignore list isn't just for ignoring assholes like me. It's for helping you to avoid the people who constantly have problems in transactions, just like this thread. Prime freaking example.

Great responses here and from the others. All fair points and well and good. Let me be clear, I'm not defending SCRIM's behavior in least. My point is he earned the right for a new start, a second chance, and more going forward with his over 200+ feedback. That is over 200 people pleasantly satisfied from transactions with him. All who are unforgiving, do you have over 200+? It is almost insane to have someone prove themselves in such a way and then a mistake is made or life events happen and 1 thing occurs in 5 years time and all the good is out the window. Really?! He also made it right as well in a reasonable amount of time. Could this have only happened due to this thread? Possibly but we'll never know since the OP brought it about so soon in the transaction timeline.

The ignore button is quite funny as imagine if a business ran itself in the same way. Imagine how many companies would actually thrive if they rejected service or essentially hit "ignore" on customers walking in the door because they had previous browsed each individuals feedback on social media...facebook, twitter, tic-tok, etc. Thus to those who hit the "ignore" button for all your various reasons other than actually breaking Bladeforums rules, ask yourself "How many good deals or good knives, or pleasant experiences did I possibly miss out on?"

Just like craytab says , the ignore button can be used for many reasons , gilbert and scrim are both on my list for two different reasons .
I don't know if it the corona or just a sign of the times but many have been added in the recent months .
Why, because I have an opinion different from your own? This is exactly my point in my argument and you've proven this clearly. Perhaps it is best for us both as not a big fan of short-sightedness or lack of open-mindedness.
Possibly it is CoronaV but could also be you, did you ever think of that? - "Many have been added in the recent months."

Perhaps it is for the best I'm sure ...for us both.

Great responses here and from the others. All fair points and well and good. Let me be clear, I'm not defending SCRIM's behavior in least. My point is he earned the right for a new start, a second chance, and more going forward with his over 200+ feedback. That is over 200 people pleasantly satisfied from transactions with him. All who are unforgiving, do you have over 200+? It is almost insane to have someone prove themselves in such a way and then a mistake is made or life events happen and 1 thing occurs in 5 years time and all the good is out the window. Really?! He also made it right as well in a reasonable amount of time. Could this have only happened due to this thread? Possibly but we'll never know since the OP brought it about so soon in the transaction timeline.

The ignore button is quite funny as imagine if a business ran itself in the same way. Imagine how many companies would actually thrive if they rejected service or essentially hit "ignore" on customers walking in the door because they had previous browsed each individuals feedback on social media...facebook, twitter, tic-tok, etc. Thus to those who hit the "ignore" button for all your various reasons other than actually breaking Bladeforums rules, ask yourself "How many good deals or good knives, or pleasant experiences did I possibly miss out on?"

Why, because I have an opinion different from your own? This is exactly my point in my argument and you've proven this clearly. Perhaps it is best for us both as not a big fan of short-sightedness or lack of open-mindedness.
Possibly it is CoronaV but could also be you, did you ever think of that? - "Many have been added in the recent months."

You've very clearly never run a business. I've owned one for the better part of a decade and we fire/blacklist customers all the time. If you give me a hint that you're going to be more trouble than you're worth I will politely dismiss you and suggest a competitor. I have never once regretted doing so and I've frequently regretted giving customers that seemed like a problem a second chance.

ETA: Oh, furthermore, my business maintains regular contact with others and we'll extend warnings to them and have received them ourselves based on client behavior and we have very happily preemptively decided not to accept business from problem customers.

You've very clearly never run a business. I've owned one for the better part of a decade and we fire/blacklist customers all the time. If you give me a hint that you're going to be more trouble than you're worth I will politely dismiss you and suggest a competitor. I have never once regretted doing so and I've frequently regretted giving customers that seemed like a problem a second chance.

ETA: Oh, furthermore, my business maintains regular contact with others and we'll extend warnings to them and have received them ourselves based on client behavior and we have very happily preemptively decided not to accept business from problem customers.
The customer is always right. That's what people like about us.

So I’ve read: 20% of clients are often responsible for 80% of the workload (or something close to that).

Remove those bottom 20% from the client base and businesses can function much more optimally including giving superior client support and service to the other 80%.

I heard that years ago in this form: 80% of the work (in an organization) is done by 20% of the people. The implication being that the other 80% of the people coast by doing the minimum.

Gilbert you are absolutely defending the guy, even though you say you are not. I wonder why?
You either have a connection to the guy or you grew up getting your lunch money stolen at school every week and kept making excuses for the bully.
Either way your vexing points of contradiction are not painting you in a favorable light. Something is not adding up.
Continue doing what you want, but in addition to scrum getting put on many ignore lists you probably are going to as well.
Yes you are free to have your own opinion - everyone is. But that doesn't mean you are right.

Reminds me of some phrases like " keep digging that hole", " know when to say when" , or "if you are going to die on a hill = make sure it is worth it".
Is scrum worth it?

Scrim Scrim has clearly demonstrated that were it not for this thread, he’d have a knife AND a refund AND shipping funds with no inclination to do anything about it. It took pressure from a community to coerce him to “do the right thing”.

There’s only one creep here and he’s going on ignore now. Bye, Scrim. The world is full of people who’ve suffered under COVID and have managed to meet their responsibilities.

There are some customers that absolutely have to be fired. When I run across an extremely problematic one, I will also reach out to my competitors and give them the heads up. Plenty of work to go around, and I would appreciate a warning myself.

I wish there were a huge FB/Yelp/Twitter where businesses could publicly call out problematic customers by name to not only warn other places of business from accommodating them as well as allow individuals to know when they are living next to an unreasonable jerk. It would be nice to turn the tables for a change....I'm looking at you Mr. One Star Review for not taking your drunken call at 1am.

Last edited:
I’m shocked to learn that people are using the existence of a pandemic to justify their dishonesty…shocked…

Up to you, but before I go trying to defend someone (especially one I do not know) I would go through all of the facts and get the whole story. This is just not one isolated incident with him.
Plus if you do look at the several threads you can tell a lot about the person. In his case it's not good. We have seen it over and over again here over time; where one of the first things someone does when they get exposed is to say they got sick, they have a family member in the hospital, etc. Is that true in this case - who knows? I'll assume it was......but can't say I don't have at least some doubt.
Regardless, people get put on ignore because they show themselves as being difficult, problematic, a tool, deceptive, not nice, etc. No sense taking a chance with one of those types.
It is odd that someone can have a great deal of good feedback, yet still become an issue. We have had members on here for years with good dealings all of a sudden go off the rails and become a thief ......... multiple times.

I know you are just trying to be optimistic and that is fine. You are free to deal with anyone here you want. Yeah, he didn't break any rules - but sometimes that is not the only measuring stick. Maybe he is the kind of guy that is fine if there are not issues and everything goes his way......... but when it doesn't?

Ever notice how many of these guys that get blasted on here always seem to have a sick friend or relative or some sort of huge medical issue to blame foe their woes? Not saying it’s never an issue but…

Ever notice how many of these guys that get blasted on here always seem to have a sick friend or relative or some sort of huge medical issue to blame foe their woes? Not saying it’s never an issue but…
I, for one, have never been outside of my box except for pictures...and I've never, ever cut anything.

I think you guys should start a go-fund-me page so I can experience what life's like on the outside.

🤣

I, for one, have never been outside of my box except for pictures...and I've never, ever cut anything.

I think you guys should start a go-fund-me page so I can experience what life's like on the outside.

🤣

Is the reason you’re never outside of your box because you have a sick friend who takes up all of your time? 😁

Back