Using your knives in the kitchen.

For real kitchen work I use kitchen knives, but for random tasks I'll use whatever is in my pocket (opening food packages, cutting up snacks for my kids, opening drinks, etc...)

Umnumzaan has an excellent blade for food. I use it to cut my steak :cool:

I have noticed this as well. I think it may stem from the vast majority of BF members being men, and the fact that most men don’t have big enthusiasm for cooking. I’m a builder and knife knut, but my kitchen knives still see more use per week than my EDC folders do.

Interesting theory. I like cooking as an excuse to use cool kitchen knives (and as an excuse for eating).

There is plenty of knifey goodness to mess with. I have been practicing breaking down a whole chicken. Its really a 2-3 knife task (the more knives the better, right?) and you get to chop through bones and joints and stuff.

What dude wouldn't want to do that?!?

And guess what...different knives do parts of it better than other kitchen knives. That's why the multiple knives. So I don't know where this "a kitchen knife is a kitchen knife" thinking comes from. Must be from "unsophisticated knife users." :D

That said, my wife stole my Mora and now its her steak knife. Me, I don't like a scandi grind for steak. Actually I convexed an old Chicago Cutlery (gasp) and its a beast steak knife.

A 'carving' knife has(or should have) a long and thin blade profile so at not to stick to the material when slicing. Not all Bowie knives have the same profile. It's just a generic category for larger profile blade styles with a clip point tip, usually with a secondary edge. Many Bowies are long and thin and make outstanding slicers/carvers. Some are designed more aggressively with a long tapered profile that flares towards the front. That's usually what most people think when they hear 'Bowie knife.' Not the best carver as they tend to stick in meat. They hack rather than slice. Best slicer/carver I own is a cheaper $70 Uncle Henry--very thin, long, has a compound sabre grind from flat to hollow ..Slices and carves a turkey into portions as thin or thick as needed. If I need to carve meat, that gets pulled out of the knife box.

Are you really going to argue that a carving knife is a bowie knife?

You might have some merit had you said a carving knife is really just a thinner, lighter gaucho knife...

Again, your lack of experience with the proper tools is clouding your judgement on what is, or isn't, a fine (vs. adequate) tool for the job.

That said, my wife stole my Mora and now its her steak knife. Me, I don't like a scandi grind for steak. Actually I convexed an old Chicago Cutlery (gasp) and its a beast steak knife.
We have 4 Dean Oliver roach bellys we use for steak knives. They certainly make a fine looking (and functional) addition to the table (all the more fun since we pretty much only eat game meat).

Started using a Buck paklite caping knife, 135 I think the model is, for a small paring knife in the kitchen, it works really well, I can slice a piece of meat so thin you can see through it almost. Wife uses a Buck 877 for the same thing and she likes that one but I think mine works better overall.

I enjoy cooking, and I enjoy my collection of kitchen knives. I don't have anything too serious, just some Shun, Spyderco, and an ESEE set that I bought a while back. I'm sure that I will buy some even better ones at some point, but I will say that my carry knives tend to take priority when it comes to my expendable funds. That being said, I do consider my kitchen knives to be part of my collection and part of the hobby, and I will gladly spend my hard earned money on them. I keep my favorites displayed in a knife block on the kitchen counter, which says alot if you how minimalist I prefer my counters to be.

As far as folders in the kitchen, I keep a Spyderco Pacific Salt and a Victorinox Cadet Sitting on the window sill, mostly for opening packages (food). Well, the Cadet I use mostly as a bottle opener. I will say, that although I do not use my folders in the kitchen, I have been known to bust out my Manix to make a slice while I'm cooking on the grill.

fh0eeql.jpg

4oJlt3j.jpg

dgaJLBW.jpg

We have 4 Dean Oliver roach bellys we use for steak knives. They certainly make a fine looking (and functional) addition to the table (all the more fun since we pretty much only eat game meat).

Sure, the "non kitchen knives" do make it into the kitchen, but

1) This claim that one's Spyderco Delica or whatever functions as well in the kitchen as a quality purpose-built kitchen knife is nonsense...it's a "non knife person" thing to even say, in my book.

2) That so many rabid knife nuts around here ignore the kitchen, when there is a world of cool looking kitchen knives, made of great steels, by master bladesmiths, like I said before, kinda escapes me. Folks will have expensive knives they will never use, and then have a block of crappy knives from Target in the kitchen. Funny.

This is true. Everyone has their own preferences. Collecting knives of ANY kind is what this site is all about. It's all good. I am just am pointing out that any sharp knife will cut food. The food won't refuse to be cut because it is being taken to task by a Spyderco folding knife rather than a dedicated chef's knife of the highest pedigree. The contention point seems to be that if you don't cut your food with a dedicated kitchen implement, you are doing it wrong.

I agree somewhat. I think most folks here are just trying to say that there are better tools for the task than your edc in the kitchen. I don't think anyone should get too wrapped around the axle on how others use their knives. My construction job lets me see guys that use their knives for prybars, scrapers, wire cutters, etc. They feel that is the role for a real "construction man's" knife. They can use their for any task they want and I support that. They are correct in my opinion in that they are using a tool to serve their purpose and since I didn't buy their knives and won't let them touch mine, I don't care what they do with theirs.

Their knives do what they need them to do. But for me, I will go to the truck and get my mini prybar, a scraper, wire cutters, or any other tool that will actually serve my needs better than using the knife in my pocket. The guys on the job can't figure out why I would have a nice knife in my pocket and not "put it to work" like they do. For me it's just easier to use the correct tool for the job. At the end of the day though, we both wind up with the work done, so no one is right and no one is wrong.

But I think you cast shade on your own opinion though when you pronounced that your food was just material contributing to personal sewage flow. Not that it's untrue, but kind of an insult (if taken the wrong way.... you know your skills better than anyone here!) for those of us that see cooking as an art, a passion, and a craft like any other craft. We value the end results of our efforts as more than toilet fodder. I think too, that some were just trying to let you know there might be a better way...

At any rate, carry on!

Robert

Are you really going to argue that a carving knife is a bowie knife?

You might have some merit had you said a carving knife is really just a thinner, lighter gaucho knife...

Again, your lack of experience with the proper tools is clouding your judgement on what is, or isn't, a fine (vs. adequate) tool for the job.

A carving knife is a knife that excels in slicing/carving material and has a long and thin blade profile. ANY knife with this profile will slice and carve well. You are stuck on terms and names. Semantics. If the blade in question has this profile it will make a very good carver. Also, there really is no one knife design called a Bowie knife. Not sure where you get this info. Like a carver, it is a specific generic class of knife with certain profiles, not any one knife in particular. Some have thin blades. Some have wide stocky blades with aggressive profiles for hacking. Some are heavy. Some are light. Some are small and short. Some are long. Some have slim profiles that are better for thrusting and slashing or slicing. The ones that are thin and long are outstanding at tasks like carving and slicing. Outstanding slicers. I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end as it would be a lesson in efficiently carving flesh.

The knife I referred to in prior post. The Uncle Henry: Relatively inexpensive. Thin, wicked sharp double bevel hollow. Slices like nobody's business. Carves Turkey, Ham, Beef as thin or thick as desired with little effort or trouble. Very efficient slicer and carver. Why would I need to buy a 'kitchen' knife used specificaly for carving when the profiles are nearly identical on most kitchen carvers?? All blades were designed with certain tasks in mind, whether thats a specific design of Bowie knife or a dedicated kitchen model.
s-l225.jpg

Last edited:
I mean, how could you not want this?!?

cp9Ibhh.jpg

10 inches of laminated VG-10 pure sexy for under $150?!? Heck, buy it just to get a slab of bacon and make your own slices, for Scagel's sakes. Go "sha-shingg!" and "wu-shaa" while you are doing it.

You know you want to.

Because it was in my pocket at the time :)

IMG_20180131_180927.jpg

And, umm, I know how to use kitchen knives :D

-Michael

I mean, if we're going to start sharing our kitchen knives...

10 inch carbon K Sabatier, the first boning knife I ever bought, an opinel that does triple duty as the picnic/vacation - pocket - dough slashing knife, and one of those roach bellys I use as a steak knife.
RG68LSQ.jpg

A carving knife is a knife that excels in slicing/carving material and has a long and thin blade profile. ANY knife with this profile will slice and carve well. You are stuck on terms and names. Semantics. If the blade in question has this profile it will make a very good carver. Also, there really is no one knife design called a Bowie knife. Not sure where you get this info. Like a carver, it is a specific generic class of knife with certain profiles, not any one knife in particular. Some have thin blades. Some have wide stocky blades with aggressive profiles for hacking. Some are heavy. Some are light. Some are small and short. Some are long. Some have slim profiles that are better for thrusting and slashing or slicing. The ones that are thin and long are outstanding at tasks like carving and slicing. Outstanding slicers. I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end as it would be a lesson in efficiently carving flesh.

The knife I referred to in prior post. The Uncle Henry: Relatively inexpensive. Thin, wicked sharp double bevel hollow. Slices like nobody's business. Carves Turkey, Ham, Beef as thin or thick as desired with little effort or trouble. Very efficient slicer and carver. Why would I need to buy a 'kitchen' knife used specificaly for carving when the profiles are nearly identical on most kitchen carvers?? All blades were designed with certain tasks in mind, whether thats a specific design of Bowie knife or a dedicated kitchen model.
s-l225.jpg

If you're looking at kitchen knives with the same length, thickness, weight, grind, and profile as that thing you've linked above; you're looking at terrible kitchen knives.

We've had hundreds of years to come up with various knife styles. If bowie knives made good carving knives, we'd use bowie knives for carving the thanksgiving turkey. If carvings knives made good fighting knives, Rezin bowie would have asked James Black (or whomever) to make him a carving knife.

I'm sure your Uncle Henry does an adequate job carving meat. A 'real' carving knife will more easily doing a better job of it.

If you're looking at kitchen knives with the same length, thickness, weight, grind, and profile as that thing you've linked above; you're looking at terrible kitchen knives.

We've had hundreds of years to come up with various knife styles. If bowie knives made good carving knives, we'd use bowie knives for carving the thanksgiving turkey. If carvings knives made good fighting knives, Rezin bowie would have asked James Black (or whomever) to make him a carving knife.

I'm sure your Uncle Henry does an adequate job carving meat. A 'real' carving knife will more easily doing a better job of it.

There is no such thing as a 'real' carving knife. If so, which particular knife is it? Just ones from Henkel, or ones from Wusthof or the Japanese brands?.....these all differ in specific profile and edge geometry and steels..which one is the real carver and all else are unreal and not carvers? A carving knife has a long and thin profile. Doesnt matter who made it or what you call it. If it has this profile, it will carve well.

There is no such thing as a 'real' carving knife. If so, which particular knife is it? Just ones from Henkel, or ones from Wusthof or the Japanese brands?.....these all differ in specific profile and edge geometry and steels..which one is the real carver and all else are unreal and not carvers?

The long, rather thin, somewhat flexible, not too wide ones that are often full flat ground are the 'real' carving knives.

I think you'll have more success arguing that a boning knife and a fillet knife are the same thing, than arguing that a bowie knife and a carving knife are the same thing.

But I think you cast shade on your own opinion though when you pronounced that your food was just material contributing to personal sewage flow. Not that it's untrue, but kind of an insult (if taken the wrong way.... you know your skills better than anyone here!) for those of us that see cooking as an art, a passion, and a craft like any other craft. We value the end results of our efforts as more than toilet fodder. I think too, that some were just trying to let you know there might be a better way...

At any rate, carry on!

Robert

Not trying to insult anyone. Seriously. But people choose to read and respond. I didnt force anyone to read my opinions. Not like I was trying to start a debate. It just kind of ebbed and flowed into that, which often happens on internet forums.

But that's just how I see it. The fancy looking dish surely is artwork for those who enjoy it. But I say it sort of in jest for those who look down on others who don't share the same interests - that fancy looking plate is just going into the same place in the end and everyone's food looks equally bad when it hits the treatment plant. Remember, thou art mortal.

The long, rather thin, somewhat flexible, not too wide ones that are often full flat ground are the 'real' carving knives.

I think you'll have more success arguing that a boning knife and a fillet knife are the same thing, than arguing that a bowie knife and a carving knife are the same thing.
They can be the same thing if the knives both have the same general profile.

They can be the same thing if the knives both have the same general profile.
See, I knew you'd have better luck with that.

Then again, I have a few different boning knives, and a few different filet knives. Some are better for fish, some are better for poultry, some are better for deer/pigs/lamb.

Back