v4 EDC Prototypes Passaround

Sent my name and shipping address to the two guys ahead of me on both lists. I am excited to see the first reviews and pictures, and especially to use the knives my self.

Thanks for the opportunity Mr. Koster.

I missed this thread, darn work! But I don't know if my sharpening skills would pass muster.

It's one thing to sharpen your own knife, it's quite another to sharpen someone elses.

Oh, well.

Maybe I'll have a shot at v.5 or v.6 ;)

sure hope there will be...:D

Any sign of the knives, Martin?
Just want to make sure they made it ok...:thumbup:

Thanks!

Dan

Nothing yet..

This afternoon I thought I got lucky tho when I found the note the UPS guy dropped in my mailbox, which said the package was delivered at the house next door..
I rushed over to find out the package only contained the 5 jars of sno seal I got a good deal on.. :eek:

I'll let you guys know when they arrive.
:thumbup:

First Impressions:

I grabbed the wood handled one first, and the first thing that struck was how comfortable it felt in the hand. The handle fits my hand (size 9) perfectly and is comfortable in a lot of grip positions. It felt comfortable lightweight, but inspired a lot of confidence due to the comfortable grip, the thick spine, and the guard.
The next thing that struck me is how thin and pointy the tip is. The edge is very thin also, and this combined with the before mentioned should make this a wicked cutting tool.
The edge should be sharper though. It should fly through paper, and shave armhair without a scraping sound.
3rd thing that struck me was the smell of the wood.. :barf:

Quickly grab the Red One..
Wow.. That one’s obvious the heavy one.
It has the same thin edge and thin tip, but is a lot more handle heavy. The massive butt looks like it can handle some pounding, but doesn’t seem in proportion with the thin tip. It handles nicel though, and is very comfortable

Conclusions after first impressions and fiddling around:

I prefer the extra bit of belly on the Wood handled One and I also prefer the tapered tang. To make it just a little bit more handleheavy it could be a good idea not to drill the tang.
I also like the smaller guard on the woodhandled one better in certain grips.
The thumbgrooves are a mm closer to the handle, which feels better to me.

My women Barbara likes the smell a lot, which can only be good..

What I like in the Red One is the mm of extra edge. It’s about as close as you can get to the guard, and still be able to sharpen it properly imo. But I do assume everybody buying a knife like this is able to sharpen properly, and that may not be realistic.. I dunno really..

Now let’s put them to use..
This is a knife I’m planning on using around the shop to cut leather and kydex with.
I’ll bring it to the studio to cut colorgels, aluminiumfoil and prie tiewraps.

To be continued…

I’d like to call the bladeprofile a drippoint.. it’s not a drop nor a clip, but it looks like both at the same time.

Martin

Have any in use pics?

I would love to see this little knife (not so little I guess! :D) in action. :)

Only thing I cut today was a cardboard box. This was a breeze cause of the thin point and the thin edge.. Making deeper cuts in harder cardboard the blade wedged a bit.. I'll be making userpics later on.

First some pics that show more detail of the knives ..

Kosterproto01.jpg

Kosterproto02.jpg

Kosterproto03.jpg

Kosterproto04.jpg

Kosterproto05.jpg

Kosterproto06.jpg

Kosterproto07.jpg

Kosterproto08.jpg

More later on..
Martin

sweet pics!

Looking forward to the review....be sure to carry it all day, every day....whatever kinks it has...let's work 'em out!

Dan

The knives are on their way guys. Let me know when they arrive please.

I gotta sort out some pics first, and will write something later on..

Thanks,
Martin

Ok...sounds good...looking forward to some feedback. :thumbup:

Dan

Any kind of an eta on these? I keep checking the mail like a puppy every day.

So, something came unexpectedly in the mail tonight. This was waiting for me when I got home from work.

A few quick things I notice first.

First and foremost. The handle is comfy, and I mean comfy. The red g-10 has a great texture with a bead blast (I think) that makes it feel great in the hand. It is a full grip that feels like it was made for my hand.

The blade had some staining, and the handle/tang area as well. Some light rust on the tang. Also the tip seemed a tiny bit off to one side, but it might just be my vision.

The Tip is very very thin and pointy. I have never had a knife with this thin of a tip grind on it before ever.

The edge grind is also very very thin.

The edge was not too sharp. It would not shave hair when I tried first thing, and it had a bit of a hard time cutting the cardboard.

So a few quick passes on a loaded strop, and it was shave sharp. This is the first 5160 steel I have ever used. ( I had a custom in 5160, but traded it before using, and I have a home made knife in 5160 I am still working on, so this is a first user for me with this steel).

I immediately put it to work breaking down a cardboard box (quite thick cardboard) I made hundreds of cuts (once I had hit the edge with the strop, it made short work of slicing).
This pic is about 1/2 way through all the slicing I did. Needless to say the wife told me to clean up the mess.
IMG_1525.jpg

IMG_1526.jpg

and slicing up a pear for the little tyke (after a good wash with dish soap and hot water)
IMG_1516.jpg

IMG_1520.jpg

Some in hand pics
IMG_1517.jpg

IMG_1523.jpg

Cut up some chicken breasts.

IMG_1521.jpg

First impressions of cutting. The blade geometry did very well at peeling the pear (even before I stropped and made it shaving sharp).

Cut the cardboard well, a bit of binding because of the thickness of the blade, but once sharpened on the strop really quickly, it shaved off slices quite well.
More in the next post

Here are a few comparison pics to show what I normally carry in about this size range (1 longer thinner FB, one the same length blade, but shorter handle, which is .22 thick blade, and one folder that I used to carry every day)

IMG_1559.jpg

IMG_1561.jpg

On the belt. Carries very comfortable this way. I normally use a tech lock carry.
IMG_1555.jpg

One thing, with this sheath, it hangs a bit low for the shirt to cover. I wore it this way to the mall tonight with the wife and kid, and had my slightly longer zip up hoodie which covered it.
IMG_1557.jpg

After I got home from the mall, I spent about an hour in the garage shaving a baton, making a pile of shavings. This thing makes a great whittler. Absolutely no wrist fatigue, and no hot spots. With other knives, you get the sore wrist, and it becomes uncomfortable very quick. I felt like I could whittle all day without any problems. Very great feel in the hand, and great leverage with the full handle. Felt perfect for this. The blade geometry make for very very fine shavings easily (think great feather/fuzz sticks). The blade geometry combined with the perfect handle shape also allowed for deep, big shavings with equal ease.

IMG_1540.jpg

IMG_1541.jpg

IMG_1545.jpg

Some quick batoning. I have to admit, I was sure the tip was going to just fall right off with the lightest tap. I was careful with not hitting the tip, but after a while I was a bit more confident. This is not a hardwood, but the knife worked well for the size.
IMG_1547.jpg

IMG_1548.jpg

IMG_1551.jpg

That is all I have for tonight. I will do some more stuff, and try to take a few more pics tomorrow after I get back from work (where I will be taking the knife of course).

I will give some more detailed thoughts/impressions later also. But for now, to bed!

Great pics and review!!!

I'm glad to hear you didn't have any hotspots.

You have some crazy thick/big hands!

I think the thinness of the tip may be more deception than reality. The swedge really makes it seem a lot thinner than it is. I did want it thin - to be able to do detail work, etc. But I don't think I left it thin enough to be fragile. I think if you could mic the thickness near the tip, and then compare it to a "common edc knife"....it would be thicker. Like I said, seeing 1/4" thickness taper down so quickly might be adding to it.

Thanks for listing a variety of activities....I really want you guys to put this through the paces....if there are weak spots...I can address them and try to fix it.

Dan

Man, this knife looks insane!! :eek: Big handled, small blade... Still like the original V1 w/ the black leather sheath from the original post. Great reviews guys!!

Man, this will be a great addition!!

Back