v4 EDC Prototypes Passaround

Dan --

For those of us not in on the 'pass around,' any sense of when this gem might go into production?

Not that I'm impatient to get my hands on one...I'm just askin'... ;)

Verawood model in Heavy land! :D

Initial impression: Love it.

Long enough handle, small enough blade. Balance puts all the weight on my middle finger when I hold it in the "cutting food" grip. I love the curve on the scales in the front, my pointer finger rests so naturally there...

Quick pic cause no pics = didn't happen. :D

I'll give it a quick wash later to see if the staining will go away.

And since I will be carrying this for the next week I have to retire the blade I have been edc'ing. I can also retire the pack mule I use to carry it around...:D

Review and pics coming later....

Rotte - I'm hoping to get this in production sometime in December.

:thumbup:

Heavy - great news.....and pics too! :thumbup:

This is just a prototype....don't worry about any tarnishing. But if you do want to clean it up....get a scotchbrite pad and rub the blade in the same direction as that grind marks. If that doesn't take it off, grab some metal cleaning stuff like "Nevr Dull" - that's what I use!

Looking forward to the review!

Dan

I am looking forward to the wooden handled one coming my way. The blade looks a bit wider from spine to edge than the red handled one. It will be my first thick blade with a tapered handle, and I am looking forward to having a chance to feel the difference in balance.

Everyone I have showed this to loves it.

One of my workers asked me if I had a knife :rolleyes: :D

I handed it to him and he looked at it...kind of bounced in his hand to test the heft, cut the rope he was holding and handed back to me and said nice knife....:D

I used it to cut the electrical tape off plug on the end of the cord for a welder...

Sliced paper (for fun) and just handled it a lot. I love the look of the wood handle but I think I might find a textured micarta more comfortable just based on the grippyness factor. It does feel like it could slip out of my hand. Maybe a little thiner on the handle. Normally I like a fat handle but for an edc that is generally carried more than used I think I would like the thinner handle.

Had to take it off to go see a school play.

I would like a different sort of sheath. Kydex still but a high ride with a tec lock or an IWB sheath...Nothing that requires taking off my belt.

More to come.......:D

Last edited:
Recieved first the Red G10. The first thing I saw I liked was the the handle size. For my hands it works great. I also took a pic to show Handle difference compared to a few others. All work in the kitchen has been done with this knife. Cutting carrots, cellery, potatos... etc for such things as beef stew , preparing fish, have been very easy to prepare. One thing I found a little hard doing was cutting into thing's like chicken where a longer knife would be better. The knife is very easy to control. I did some wood carving... Great for wood working.

The weight of the knife seems to make it flow when cutting things. The G10 feels good on this knife, I prefere Wood or Stag but for a EDC I like it so far. This knife does feel like it wants to be used . I have only used for 3 days so far and the sheath I think could be a Little higher on the belt line. Sitting in a auto has been ok but if it was higher I think more comforatable to wear, and easier to cover up on your belt . I do like the sheath design, closer to the body than with a Tec loc, it does not get in the way of other things on your belt like a pistol. I will post more pictures and more of a review in a day or two. So far awesome knife ! Dan I know you said we have to wear it all the time but at night my Girlfriend says I have to take it off... LOL

Last edited:
Great reviews and pics, guys.

monarh99 = :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

:D

Keep 'em coming!

Dan

I will definitely move the sheath up higher on the next one...:thumbup:

Dan

I was concerned that the blade would be so thick that it would wedge in an apple.

I just tried it on a Chinese pear apple and it worked like a charm. Sliced right through.

I think it's because I mostly used the front half of the blade which is where the taper starts.

Nice design Dan! :D

I was concerned that the blade would be so thick that it would wedge in an apple.

I just tried it on a Chinese pear apple and it worked like a charm. Sliced right through.

I think it's because I mostly used the front half of the blade which is where the taper starts.

Nice design Dan! :D

I found that particular knife to be a wicked cutter from the tip back to the belly.:thumbup:

I don't think the blade shape and thickness on the red handled one ever felt too thick for anything I did. It cut pear great. Sliced great.

Hopefully the Red handled one was sharp enough for you Monarch99. When I got it, it would not shave hair, even with a lot of pressure. I stropped it a bit, and it quickly shaved hair.

As for the sheath, I really though this sheath was more comfortable than my higher ones with a tech lock. Normally on this sized blade, I do a horizontal carry in front of my right or left hip depending. This sheath really seemed to "go away" once put on. Never uncomfortable. Tech locks make for much easier on and off, but tent to be less comfortable (some one ought to redesign them for more/better human ergo's). The only things about the sheath were the fact that it was lower on the belt, and sticks out from shirt, and that you have to undo the belt to take it on and off.

On a side note to Mr. Koster, you have been holding out on us. I just saw your other post with the "shorty" Nessmuk! Sweet. I think you need to make a "mini" Nessmuk with the 3 inch blade and the same handle design as this one. (although I have yet to handle one of your nessmuk handles, so it might actually work better for that type of blade style).

Hey Tyson, Awesome job on sharping :thumbup:. Got out today alot with it and did alot of outside work. Cut alot of rope and string, also made a 5 1/2' hiking stick. I used it cutting up Fat Wood into fuzzyness for a fire when it started to get cooler out. I wear a X-large glove one thing I really like about this knife is the handle with the small blade. I had my girlfriend use it also she has small hands and she loved it ( she wants one now :eek: ). I wish I had more time with this knife it has been I great EDC, but next comes the Wood. :D. I had some P.O. s look at it and they liked it alot. We did some testing with gloves on and off ( if used in winter or everyday thin gloves ) on seat belts, clothes, leather they said they liked it alot and would carry it in place of a folder. The only thing is and has been said before is the sheath ...being able to take on and off quicker. All around Cool knife Dan. Thanks for the opportunity to try it out. I'll sharpen it up and get it to the next in line.

My time with this blade is just about up and I’ve drawn some firm conclusions. Forgive me if some of this is repeated from what I’ve already posted but I wanted to put it all in one place.

Remember that these are only my opinions. Dan. Feel free to completely disregard. :D

Blade. Length is perfect and I love the grind of it. The thickness of the steel…all just awesome. Love the tapered tang.

Handle. Length is great but the thickness has to come way down. Got two reasons for saying this.

Carry comfort. I think that an edc fixed need to have a slimmer profile.

In Illinois suburbia, where I am trapped..err..I mean live, it’s totally legal to have a blade of this length on you but that doesn’t mean you want to advertise it which means you need an IWB or a High ride sheath. The fat handle would make either of these options uncomfortable I think.

I think a flat handle similar to the K-Tusk would be perfect. That is a knife that works awesome in an IWB. :D

Now you may say that the fatter handle is more comfortable to use than a slimmer handle would be. While you may be right but I would pose the theory that comfort in the sheath is more important than comfort in the hand when you are talking about a fixed EDC, though I do believe that Dan can make it slimmer and keep it comfortable in the hand.

Your edc knife is your most versatile tool. Used for everything but hardly ever for any length of time. You pull it to open a box, 10 seconds. To trim a string, 5 seconds. To cut a tomato, 30 seconds.

See what I mean? I think that having a big handle is nice for a knife that is going to work more but your edc needs to balance that with the fact that most of the time you want your knife to disappear until it is needed.

The second reason is kind of specific. When you hold this knife in the “apple peeling” grip which is the blade edge facing you held by your four fingers, assuming you are fortunate enough to still have four fingers, so that you can push the apple into the blade with your thumb. Got it? Maybe not. Anyhow, in this grip the handle feels round which makes it very difficult to hold it at the correct angle to the apple, or electrical cable which is what I was trying to peel. I think a flatter handle would eliminate this altogether.

Hope this helps Dan…

Off to the next man.

Paul

Thanks for the input, Paul.

I am addressing the handle thickness in the next prototypes. :thumbup:

Great reviews and comments so far, guys! And thanks for posting pics. :thumbup:

Dan

Ok. Red handle is here and I must apologize that the Verawood model is still here as well. I forgot about an open house we had to attend and I couldn't get to the po. It will go out tomorrow.

So both knives are here. :D

With the non tapered tang this thing really has some heft to it. :D

How about this?

Tapered tang with a handle. Non-tapered tang skeletonized...maybe with a cord wrap...too awesome...:D

Pics and review to follow.

Looking forward to it!

:thumbup:

Skeletonized might be an option...we'll see.

Dan

A big question I'm wondering about is whether or not to do the tapered tang.

Both tangs are significantly drilled out....meaning, the full-width tang version is as light as it's going to get. The only further weight savings would come from tapering....or going to a thinner stock (something I'm not willing to do yet).

My vote would be 100% yes on the tapered tang. Weight and balance are better with it tapered. I like the heft of the non-tapered but I can already sense that the weight might get in the way a little. Although the only thing I've done with it so far is sharpen a carpenters pencil.

Unless it is skeletonized of course......

Surprisingly, a skeletonized tang will not save that much money....because I have to finish it out. Don't get me wrong...there is definitely some savings...just not as much as you might think. My guess is many folks will just pay the extra $20-$50 for a knife with a fully finished handle.

But, that said...I am still considering it as an option.

Dan

Tapered tang looks nice. If tapered is an option, I'll go with that.

Back