VG-10 steel.

Just want to add... after all this time... that it is my favorite stainless as well. Over a LOT that I have tried. Any one of several VG-10 knives have become my go-to knives for deer butchering; they even stand up well to bone impact.

Vg10 is a good knife steel. I have a Spyderco kitchen knife that I have yet to sharpen - in 1 1/2 years since I got it. The only other knife that has lasted longer without sharpening is an old Gerber in M2.

How does VG10 compare to zdp189 in resistance to chipping, breakage, etc? I know that S30V is supposed to be more wear resistant, as is the ZDP189, but are they too hard?
Is there a problem with edge chipping or breakage with either the ZDP189 or S30V?
I am only asking because some Spyderco models don't come in VG10 and are in these other steels.

Vg10 is a good knife steel. I have a Spyderco kitchen knife that I have yet to sharpen - in 1 1/2 years since I got it. The only other knife that has lasted longer without sharpening is an old Gerber in M2.

How does VG10 compare to zdp189 in resistance to chipping, breakage, etc? I know that S30V is supposed to be more wear resistant, as is the ZDP189, but are they too hard?
Is there a problem with edge chipping or breakage with either the ZDP189 or S30V?
I am only asking because some Spyderco models don't come in VG10 and are in these other steels.

The ZDP-189 on my Endura liked to microchip rather than roll at the edge. This was cutting cardboard. VG-10 tends to roll, on the other hand. However, ZDP-189 did hold a cutting edge a lot longer than VG-10.

S30V was my overall favorite steel on my Native. It held a good cutting edge longer than VG-10, and it sharpened up almost as quickly in my experience (using DMT Diamonds). I was also able to get my sharpest edges with S30V. I wish I could get a Delica in S30V, but that isn't possible, so I got ZDP-189 to try again.

That said, VG-10 is, itself, a fantastic steel. It does relatively well at thin angles and sharpens up faster than the above two.

this was a good read. lately i've been using vg10 & zdp in different mediums. my usage shows both alloys to be very resistant to chipping. burst strength 270lb. cardboard [double thick] did'nt chip either alloy. i even cut the endura zdp way back on bevel.slashed thru 1000 lb. hay bales with mud & poly netting with absoultely no edge chipping. cutting cardboard in garage i slammed vg10 into piece of metal ==no ding. i do'nt want to start a big fight but i feel most problems with these alloys are created by the users

Wow!

That has been a fascinating insight into Spydie history and the adoption of VG10 as the de facto blade steel along with S30V.

Awesome stuff!

VG10 is by far and large my favorite steel. :)

this was a good read. lately i've been using vg10 & zdp in different mediums. my usage shows both alloys to be very resistant to chipping. burst strength 270lb. cardboard [double thick] did'nt chip either alloy. i even cut the endura zdp way back on bevel.slashed thru 1000 lb. hay bales with mud & poly netting with absoultely no edge chipping. cutting cardboard in garage i slammed vg10 into piece of metal ==no ding. i do'nt want to start a big fight but i feel most problems with these alloys are created by the users

hrm, I've had vg10 edges dent pretty badly coming into contact with steel, which I expected. Might also be the fact that it was a Centofante, which has a VERY thin edge, caused it to be damaged easier...

hrm, I've had vg10 edges dent pretty badly coming into contact with steel, which I expected. Might also be the fact that it was a Centofante, which has a VERY thin edge, caused it to be damaged easier...

I like VG-10 more and more all the time. IMO rolling is a lot better than chipping.

Watched a youtube video by Nutnfancy describing how his Fallkniven (VG10 laminate version) was chipping on the edge. I'd be darned curious to know why Fallkniven REALLY switched from VG10 to VG10 laminate. Was it due to high cost of solid VG10 or due to the "advantages" of laminating it? Only Fallkniven really knows.......

Back