Off Topic VG10 worship needs to stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anytime someone wants to buy a budget knife people go against it and advise to "invest" in vg10

1. Lets keep in mind that most vg10's still cost twice as aus8 knives. And half around the 80$ mark. Laminate vg10 over 200$ mark

2. The best selling knives, with rep in mind. Don't use vg10.

3. Im not advocating for gas station knives but i often hear people say anything lower will have to be sharpened daily which is bull

I think the only places I see touting VG-10 as being super high end are in some kitchen cutlery and shears for cutting hair.

That said, I like VG-10. Doesn't rust, easy to sharpen, stays sharp for long enough and if you steel or strop it, you can bring the edge back very quickly for a long time before it really needs a full sharpening. I wouldn't pay a premium for it, though.

u0P1Xl7.jpg

Several Decades ago VG10 was considered a state-of-the-art premium steel. Now, it is not. But it still has properties which make it perform quite nicely, thank you.
Sharpens easily
Holds and edge well enough for most applications. Holds it better than AUS8. It holds it a bit better than 440C. That's all I need in a daily carry knife.
Takes a very fine edge.
very corrosion resistant for a daily carry.

And, I've not heard anybody say to "invest in VG10". There are a lot of nice knives which happen to have VG10 blade steel. And I have heard people recommend those knives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back