Off Topic VG10 worship needs to stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I like about VG-10 is its ability to keep edge stability when working with it.

It seems to hold against edge deformation pretty well, likely due to its grain structure and a heat treat in the 58-59 rockwell.

While corrosion resistant, it can still develop spots, but the trade off in retention is worth it.

I think it's a great all-purpose steel, and probably why it's still used in a lot of knives.

Thank you Smaug Smaug for the steel comparison charts. It was educational to compare 14c28n to VG10.

Vg10 only beats 14c28n by a small margin on edge retention and is showing as much less tough.

If someone wished to a genie all folding knives had to have vg10, we could do a lot worse. A spyderco delica in vg10 is a great cutter, awesome to learn to sharpen on, doesn't rust like cheaper stainless options. Honestly it's pretty damn good.

Uh, ok

PXL_20230828_012721458.jpg

The Spyderco endura has seen more use than probably most of the knives I own combined. It actually sat outside in the rain overnight once never a speck of corrosion always sharp minimal maintenance. I don't get what your problem is with it.

I wish more makers would use it.

VG10 is a former super steel that's become a classic for a reason. As others have stated: doesn't rust easily, sharpens well, behaves well in plain and serrated versions, etc. Spyderco seems to stay pretty much on the most cutting edge of steels, but they still offer several of their models in it.

I actually have it filling duties in three roles in three different knives:
My favorite kitchen knife, a rough and tumble beater, and the folder that stays tucked in my sweaty back pocket to to save my bacon should it be needed.

If someone wished to a genie all folding knives had to have vg10, we could do a lot worse. A spyderco delica in vg10 is a great cutter, awesome to learn to sharpen on, doesn't rust like cheaper stainless options. Honestly it's pretty damn good.
STOP WORSHIPPING THE VG-10!!!! Haven’t you read the op? Have you learned nothing from the advice handed down from he who looks out for us all?😝

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back