VTOKU Sprint Run

I started this same discussion over on the Spydie Forum....

The Vtoku-2 sprint run is bound to be popular. So I thought I might as well get a thread started for us to discuss.

I like the FRN color they chose and I'm sure the steel will be interesting. So I'll be in for a Delica, Dragonfly, & Manbug for sure.

It'll be interesting to use this steel and see how it compares in the real world to Super Blue & HAP40

iORss9Ol.png

Vtoku-2 compared with Super Blue & HAP40

w4Ve0GOl.png

Edit: Updated pics to show Mass% instead of Molar%

fuOIPN4l.jpg

WYf0wVPl.jpg

G802i75l.jpg

Ysoh8Lvl.jpg

xUnaw8sl.jpg

sDitSjJl.jpg

Last edited:
Apparently, it's been used in Japanese chef's knives for a while. Some people claim it performs between Hitachi Blue 2 and White 2. Any chance you could do a composition chart with those three steels?

With all these Japanese exotics, I only really care to see how v toku2 stacks up against hap40.

The extremely low alloy content is very interesting. I could see this holding an edge pretty well at high hardness.

Apparently, it's been used in Japanese chef's knives for a while. Some people claim it performs between Hitachi Blue 2 and White 2. Any chance you could do a composition chart with those three steels?
Your right, its very much like a white and blue steel. Which i find very exciting! And 52100 has alot of similarities as well.
Screenshot_2017-12-09-11-41-30-1.png

Last edited:
The big difference in Cr content with 52100, meaning not so much Cr carbides? The Tungsten might compensate that. Where’s our resident metallurgist? :)

Wait, V-Toku2 has 1-1.1% of C and 1-1.5% of W, and no steel has 5% carbon content. What is wrong with these diagrams?

Yeah they are, here's a mass%. I think this might make a little more sense ;)
Screenshot_2017-12-09-11-07-24-1.png

Am I seeing things right that this will be on the FRN Stretch and not the FRN Stretch2?

Last edited:
I'm a bit middle-of-the-road when it comes to steel. I love to try out a new steel but only when it comes on a platform that otherwise appeals to me. I'm going to have to hope that it shows up on a mid-sized knife with G-10 or CF handle scales.

Hey Sharp Guy, Sigsog. Great stuff. Thanx much.

I'm a bit middle-of-the-road when it comes to steel. I love to try out a new steel but only when it comes on a platform that otherwise appeals to me. I'm going to have to hope that it shows up on a mid-sized knife with G-10 or CF handle scales.

We generally offer the exotic steels in the FRN format as they are more affordable and more afi's get to try out the material without spending custom prices. Whether any of these steels show up in other models or variations is primarily the result of requests here.

sal

Back