• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

W2 Tool Steel 2" Rd

Dan, the large rounds are 2-5/8'' and 2-3/4''. The large flats I don't have here but are just random sizes, probably range from, 3" thick up 6 or 8" and 4" wide and up to 10" or 12". Too large for most to forge :D

don is the square stuff the same mix as the round stock? i have a huge bandsaw at work and could easley cut them up. i have cut a bunch of A2 and D2 round stock into strips with it and it just works great.

I might consider selling but shipping could be a problem.
Will probably need to go truck freight, I'll check on it.

Folks, I have put a lot of time and effort into acquiring, using, testing, selling, shipping and promoting W2 over the last 5-6 years. Very few were using it then because it was no longer made (in the US) and hard to find. I have shipped a bit over 25,000 pounds. This time spent has severely cut into my full time knife making and I'm on the fence right now, as to put more time and a huge investment into a new W2 melt, or just focus on my knife making. I like dealing with the steel and have made good friends doing it but my knife making is better for my bottom line. I will most likely just keep it on a small scale and continue to look for old stock to make available. I also want to thank you all for your support, it is much appreciated! Stay tuned

The above got buried on the previous page pretty quick, so I brought it back up. After going through my W2 stash, I realized some of you have more W2 than I do :eek: This wont do, I'm going to need to keep some of the 2-1/8" and 2-1/2".:D

This leaves 4 boxes of 2-1/8" and 20 or so boxes of 2-1/2"

2-1/2" rd (4, 8" bars) 46 lb box, $160 shipped. (20 boxes left) Sold Out

2-1/8" rd (4, 10" bars) 40 lb box, $140 shipped. (Sold out)

The above prices are $3.50 per pound. Same price I've been at for the last 3 years or so.

This looks like it, for now. All other W2 options I was working on seem to be a no go. I can't swing 38,000 lbs of new W2 and will not take money up front. Not sure how well it would sell at $6 per lb anyway?

So lets see how quick we can find homes for the last of this very good W2 :D

Thanks folks!

Last edited:
I think if it was custom milled into flat bar, you could sell at ton

Everybody wants to hamon, but right now it is the domain of forgers with a press or power hammer.

It would open up a new and larger market to you.
Knife kits is selling flat bars at what I believe is a a very high rate & is still not at the specs that you have.

On the new melt:
Have you considered offering it for sale to the distributors, Texas, Sheffield, Knife kits, Tracy...
If it is in nice flatstock, perhaps you could get enough advanced orders to make it worthwhile
...and not have to spend all your time shipping and handling payments

Last edited:
1234, I know I could sell a good bit and I could wholesale some but it's really too much for my plate right now.

I know Knife Kits has it but it doesn't seem to be selling. At least I've not heard of anybody that's tried any?

Will see, something could change :)

Folks, the 2-1/8" is just about gone. I will assume there is very little interest in any larger sizes?

Also any of you guy's I'm holding 2-1/8" for, please let me know if you still want it or not.
(Bill Burke is the only one current with this. Thanks Bill)

No thank you for all you have done to get this steel out there. I really appriciate your willingness to set back the boxes for me. I will most likely take some of the larger stuff from you after I get my 100lber rebuilt.

Bill, sent you two boxes yesterday and no prob holding the other boxes.

I'll probably have the 2.5" for a while yet.

Thanks,

I'll take the last three box's of 2-1/8, please PM me total and payment info.

Thanks

Dino

Hey Don, steel arrived here intact, thanks. I might get a box of the larger stuff also. I will be in touch. -Burton

Back