• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

W2 Tool Steel 2" Rd

Good to know.

I guess water quench is out of the question, unless you like living on the edge... of broken blades? :)

W2 is a water quench steel but in industry it's used in large cross sections. It will harden
to a depth of 1/8", this gives a very hard surface but a tough interior to something like a
die. W2 has been used for many years to make the dies for auto body parts. The auto
industry switched to air hardening steels for ease of heat treating but an old timer told
me the dies from the new stuff weren't as good.

With that said, it's risky quenching a thin knife shape piece of steel in water. But some
do it with great success. :)

I received the steel yesterday, Don.

Thanks again. Hopefully I can get at the forge this weekend.

Steve

Morning folks,

I'm getting emails, asking if I still have W2. As long as this thread is alive, I have W2 available :)

10 boxes of 2-1/8" left. (40 lbs for $140 shipped) Sold Out

32 boxes of 2-1/2" left. (46 lbs for $160 shipped) Sold Out

No luck with the flat stock yet.

Thanks all,

Last edited:
Have a few question for you guys about W2 size options.

I've got a bunch of 2-5/8", 2-3/4" rounds and have found a mill that will re-roll it to 1-1/4" but this will bring the price to $6.00 per pound (my price has been $3.50 per lb shipped). Is it worth it?

Another option is to cut these bars 10 or 11 inches long and saw them down the middle. This would give you half rounds that would be a bit easier to forge. It would only add $.50 per lb ($4.00 per lb shipped). Any interest in this?

Thanks all,

Don refresh my memory on how much was the other guy charging to make flat bars out of your W2?

Wade, Michael was/is charging $100 per 40 lb box. He's getting around 22+ feet at 1/4" to 3/8" thick X 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" wide.

Only 8 boxes of 2-1/8" W2 left...

Thanks,

Have had some good responses on another forum and have ruled out the re-roll, just too much $$. Also leaning toward not splitting the larger stuff, just leave it full round. But need to sell the rest of the 2.5" before I mess with the larger sizes.

Don, if Michael is still reducing the stock, I'll take a box of the 2 & 1/8" stock and have you send it to him to reduce.

I've got to run to teach a class, and I don't have time to look back, but I believe the price is $140 for a box and $100 for reduction and shipping? If so, please PM me your paypal info and Michael's info as well, and we'll get this done this evening. Thanks!

--nathan

A box goin out. Thanks Nathan.

7 boxes of 2-1/8'' left. Sold Out

34 boxes of 2.5" left. Sold Out

Last edited:
Thanks again, Don. I've been in touch with Michael. Does around 3/16-1/4" by 1&1/4" (+/-) sound like a good size to work with? Or should I go for something less wide?

I'm new to the forging game, and I'm still waiting on some parts to get started. However, I'll probably make a small blade or two via stock removal as I just don't think I can wait to use this stuff! :D Thanks again for offering this stuff up.

--nathan

Nathan, I think that's a good all around size. Not too wide to grind a smaller blade from
but can still get a good size knife out of.

Thanks,

Nathan, I think that's a good all around size. Not too wide to grind a smaller blade from
but can still get a good size knife out of.

Thanks,

Don, any discount on the real big stuff. i have a press so i would not mind getting the real large stuff from you.

Don, No good on the flat stock....forever?:)
- Mitch

JT, sorry, no room for discounts.

Mitch, I can't find anybody that can or will cut the big stuff (flats) into 1/4" stock. But I'm still workin on it.

Thanks,

Edit to add; Folks, I have put a lot of time and effort into acquiring, using, testing, selling, shipping and promoting W2 over the last 5-6 years. Very few were using it then because it was no longer made (in the US) and hard to find. I have shipped a bit over 25,000 pounds. This time spent has severely cut into my full time knife making and I'm on the fence right now, as to put more time and a huge investment into a new W2 melt, or just focus on my knife making. I like dealing with the steel and have made good friends doing it but my knife making is better for my bottom line. I will most likely just keep it on a small scale and continue to look for old stock to make available. I also want to thank you all for your support, it is much appreciated! Stay tuned :D

Last edited:
Dan, the large rounds are 2-5/8'' and 2-3/4''. The large flats I don't have here but are just random sizes, probably range from, 3" thick up 6 or 8" and 4" wide and up to 10" or 12". Too large for most to forge :D

If cut up into 3"x3" and any length, or smaller I could forge them to 1" square without too much difficulty. I know Michael is forging flat bar so I don't want to take away from his business. So I could also forge that 2.5 round down to 1" square for $65 per box if anybody is interested.

Just a thought Don. :)

So I could also forge that 2.5 round down to 1" square for $65 per box if anybody is interested.
Dan, this is good! I don't think Michael would mind, he's been pretty busy lately.

I need to move the rest of this 2.5" rd before I start messin with the larger stuff.

Thanks,

Back