WARNING: Pekko Nilakka Folder!!!!

How to convex an almost zero ground Blade into a light saber. :)

url]

Hello, Does anyone know the production date when Spyderco added the micro-bevel edge to the Nilakka. I received one today with a production date code of CM, March 2013. Everything I have read about the edge problem never states when Spyderco made this change, it seems they don't want to release that date. Appreciate whom may know.
Thanks, Alex

Anything after October of 2012 should have the micro-bevel. For that matter, anything that hadn't been shipped before then has it, as they added it to pieces already produced before then.

Thanks yablanowitz, appreciate your quick reply to my question. I felt the one I received had the micro-bevel, you get a slight light refection on the edge.
Thanks Again,
Alex

I have one coming later this week. I have wanted to get one since they came out but was deterred by reports of edge damage. I like the looks so much, its just so simple looking. After pondering it and reading Cliffs' and Nemos reviews I finally felt comfortable picking one up. The way I figure with such a thin edge if damage does occur it should sharpen out fairly quickly and get stronger each time. I plan on using as I would any other knife and sharpening on the 15 degree setting on the sharpmaker. This should add a very strong microbevel over time and still be very thin behind the edge.

...In this case, Spyderco has been extremely forthcoming in the product literature that this knife was DESIGNED for a specific type of task. If you aren't going to be using the Nilakka for those types of tasks

In mi mind pukko goes along with wood carving so I would expect this knife to do just that. Anyway, which tasks is this knife designed to excell at? Because I have read the warning card a couple times and I found quite a few DON'TS but not a single DO. What I am expected to do with this blade? Food prep (veggies and boneless meat only)?

I don't own this knive and I will not buy it but while I understand the limitations of other blade designs such as the Civilian and I think the warning card that comes with it is reasonable... I don't feel the same with this model!

In mi mind pukko goes along with wood carving so I would expect this knife to do just that. Anyway, which tasks is this knife designed to excell at? Because I have read the warning card a couple times and I found quite a few DON'TS but not a single DO. What I am expected to do with this blade? Food prep (veggies and boneless meat only)?

I don't own this knive and I will not buy it but while I understand the limitations of other blade designs such as the Civilian and I think the warning card that comes with it is reasonable... I don't feel the same with this model!

You do realize the post you quoted was almost two years old, don't you? The early issues have been resolved. I own two, one of the originals that the edge suffered extreme damage from whittling on basswood, and a factory second with the added 30° secondary bevel that has had no problems, even on very hard, knotty wood. If you want a folding knife for woodworking, the Nilakka is the best you will find in Spyderco's lineup. I did this project almost entirely with my original Nilakka after I convexed the edge.

^ I agree with the above. It is an excellent woodworking knife. Yes , you do have to use common sense. The tip is insanely delicate and pointy. However, it is exactly what they say it is: a high performance cutting tool. I've push cut across the end grain of kiln-dried walnut. It cut it like it was not even there. This knife is freakin amazing. Ya just can't be a dolt using it.

I damaged the blade the day I received the knife.For a moment I was heart broken. I am about to change the geometry and turn it to a blunter but usefull knife.Love the design + my accomodations.I rounded all the corners to make the knife more pleasant to hold, including the central spine. the pocket clip is too tight, loosened it.I created a transverse curved notch at the clip tip area of the handle to ease the access to the clip tip. Sandblasred the clip area metal parts to turn the knife nearly invisible.
IMG_4260.JPG
IMG_4264.JPG
IMG_4265.JPG
IMG_4273.JPG
IMG_4280.JPG
IMG_4263.JPG

Last edited:
The nilakka is the most amazing knife I ever owned! There is a "philosophy " encrusted in this knife and I figured it out just today. The thing goes like that: you are getting the sharpest blade ever ground on a knife. So sharp and thin the edge bends on your fingernail pressure.
Now it is up to you to decide what usage you want the knife for, and it is up to you to grind your blade to your needs. I have turned my Nilakka into a convex blade beautifully polished, it is shaving sharp, of course not going through materials like the original grind ,but extremely strong. I love my Nilakka so much I'm about to buy another one and keep it untouched in its original box as a reference for other knives in the future.
IMG_4261.JPG

IMG_4262.JPG

Last edited:
Your's look well-loved, SharpDentist!

I am carrying mine today too. I also softened the edges of the scales and the screw hole under the clip.

IMG_8001-small_zpshtxsf6ig.jpg

I put a secondary convex bevel on my spyderco puukko. The zero scandi edges are really thin and damage easily as a consequence. I _$!#'/ up the zero scandi edge on some cottonwood by applying lateral pressure to pop some shavings out. After putting on the convex edge I never had any problems when carving.

The nilakka is the most amazing knife I ever owned! There is a "philosophy " encrusted in this knife and I figured it out just today. The thing goes like that: you are getting the sharpest blade ever ground on a knife. So sharp and thin the edge bends on your fingernail pressure.
Now it is up to you to decide what usage you want the knife for, and it is up to you to grind your blade to your needs. I have turned my Nilakka into a convex blade beautifully polished, it is shaving sharp, of course not going through materials like the original grind ,but extremely strong. I love my Nilakka so much I'm about to buy another one and keep it untouched in its original box as a reference for other knives in the future.
IMG_4261.JPG

IMG_4262.JPG

Well, as I promissed to myself, the second nilakka has just arrived!

Back