WC Startac (new model?)

An FYI for those thinking of purchasing a new Startac from WC. I got one dated August 10th, 2011 and they now have a a goofy "Hinderer" like lock bar stabilizer on the lock side. Goofy, IMO, because it is totally flat round piece of Ti about the size of a stabilizer BUT it's flat as opposed to having the starburst pattern that is on the entire knife. So it definitely stands out, and not in a good way. I wonder if this wadthis was an afterthought after the pattern was made but I'm not liking the aesthetics as much as the original. Maybe a return is in store for this Startac.

***sorry for the horrible pics. Camera is in for cleaning and all I have is my iPad.

photo.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo1.jpg

Last edited:
Got any pics ?

Edit: Aye, you're right....

Last edited:
Man thats a huge downgrade IMO, looks like crap, they should've blasted the stabilizer and put the star tac pattern on and it would look a thousand times better. Even then why mess with a good design and put that on there anyways. I bet this new design doesnt last, or they modify the stabilizer as i said before. idk just my 2 cents.

Just spoke to Jessie at CRK. She confirmed that I didn't get a "jacked up" version and that they will be making them like that from now on. I guess there was an issue with cavemen users pushing the lock bar too far...and the worst news.....

She believes that Umnums from CRK will have this ugly handicap....including the ones with s35v. Hopefully they decide to continue the grid pattern on them rather than the ugly flat stabilizer. As you can tell from my rant, this disturbs me greatly...I hope to call WC first thing and see if they have the old ones on the shelf.

How is it attached to the knife ? I'm not seeing any obvious screws. I have a feeling it may be press fitted to the scale. It would be easy enough to make a different styled one if it's easy to take off.

I'll try to take more pics later...Canon is in the shop so iPad camera will have to do.

Its to bad they could'nt of used the pivot screw for some sort of LBS, it almost looks large enough.

Sometimes even an MVP will strike out. I really have to believe that Chris will continue to work on that design. With all due respect to Rick Hinderer's innovation, there has to be a way to prevent overextension of the locktab and maintain the integrity of the design.

Last edited:
Sometimes even an MVP will strike out. I really have to believe that Chris will continue to work on that design. With all due respect to Rick Hinderer's innovation, there has to be away to prevent overextension of the locktab and maintain the integrity of the design.

I have an Aircat knife that has a hidden pin in the lock bar that meets a cut out on the inside of the scale to stop over extension. You just can't see it with out looking for it.

Oh great! I shud be getting mine any day now! Wouldnt have ordered it if i new that!! Did the old Umnums have any lock stabilizer??

Here is one of the pics on Wilson's website depicting the Startac Umnum!! No lockbar stabilizer! I will be returning mine if it has that not so attractive ti on it!

Titanium-3.jpg

Jeeeebus. Don't like that one bit. Would never buy one of these.

There never was an issue with overextension on Sebenzas for the last two decades. Why is it suddenly an issue with the Umnumzaan? The design Lock Bar/Clip doesn't seem to be much different?!

And above all, why go with the Hinderer Design instead of doing it in a more ingenious way? There are several alternative ways to prevent overextension in a much more streamlined design that would be compatible with the overall CRK style.

Iguess there was an issue with cavemen users pushing the lock bar too far

Seriously, I've got one of the first models and I've never even come close to hyper-extending the lockbar.Actually all my CRKs are like that.Its almost impossible to do so( atleast forme)

I'm still in talks with John at WC about what I want to do. He wasn't even aware of the change and explained they came that way from CRK. I dont think hes a knife guy because it took awhile explaining what the difference is....i even sent him e same pic i posted And from what Jessie at CRK said, these will be implemented on Umnums going forward :(. I'm willing to bet that the recent Startacs will have the date of August 10 or very close and have THE birthmark. I'll post my findings after my next call.

Back