Well, my Sebenza is gone

Howdy folks!

I bought my Sebenza 3 years ago, and haven't carried it in about 2 years.

So I decided it might have been time to let it go.

Long story short, I traded it today.

As trade, I will receive a:
GEC 25
GEC Hayin Helper
Victorinox swiss tool.

So on to the point of this thread.

A-Ive only ever owned Case slipjoints, never GEC. What should I expect?
B-Is there any fancy care required for Micarta handles? I've never owned any micarta. I've heard they can dry up and absorb odors.

Wow. That's a pretty nice haul in trade for your Sebenza. As for micarta, if you clean it, it will appear lighter and dry. Just a drop of mineral oil on your finger and then wipe it on the micarta, it will return to normal. Micarta is about as durable as it gets on a traditional knife. Otherwise, you can expect the traditional pocketknife analog of "sebenza quality" from GEC knives, even on the Hayin' Helper. Enjoy!

Thanks! The knives are lightly used, with the Swisstool being the most used (from pictures). I'm stoked on the 25. Can't wait!

Expect better quality, better steel. Micarta needs no special attention, the oils from your hands will keep it looking good. Very tough, my favorite material for a carry knife.

I would've held on to the Seb. I have more slipjoints than any other type of knife, but the Sebenza is a knife par excellence. I myself have a large regular that I no longer carry very much, but the only production slipjoint that I might consider trading it for is a Case/Bose Norfolk.

Expect better quality, better steel. Micarta needs no special attention, the oils from your hands will keep it looking good. Very tough, my favorite material for a carry knife.

Certainly agree about the micarta, tough yet attractive.

But better steel?? o_O 1095 is hardly exotic. I don't see GEC plain carbon as better than anything CASE offers or SAK's stainless, their 440c yes, and as for better than Sebenza....

Hope this was not your only Sebenza. If it was, you just plantet the seed for a future CRK purchase. :D

Certainly agree about the micarta, tough yet attractive.

But better steel?? o_O 1095 is hardly exotic. I don't see GEC plain carbon as better than anything CASE offers or SAK's stainless, their 440c yes, and as for better than Sebenza....

Unless I misread the question, it was asked in comparison to Case CV, (I've only ever owned Case slipjoints, never GEC. What should I expect?). GEC's 1095 is pretty good, just way too thick behind the edges and not ground thin enough to suit me, and it wouldn't break my heart if they would hollow grind some blades. I'm not a big fan of carbon, but if it's done right 1095 is a fine steel for a slip joint.

Last edited:
I would've held on to the Seb. I have more slipjoints than any other type of knife, but the Sebenza is a knife par excellence. I myself have a large regular that I no longer carry very much, but the only production slipjoint that I might consider trading it for is a Case/Bose Norfolk.
Perfect? Fit and finish wise, yes it was.
But it never got carried, and I figured I'd trade it for something that would.

pretty much, its like the rolex of knife world imo if such a term may be applied. you can always find a buyer for a sebenza

I thought that I'd have more people telling me about GEC knives.
Pictures, stories, info on the company etc.

I don't need to hear about Sebenzas. I know, I had one. (Especially in the traditional forum).

This thread is derailing on me.

Last edited:
We lost another one. :( You know, that's just how ot is with a Sebenza, you either love 'em or not. Me, I vacillated for 25 years before gettin' my first one and always carry one in conjunction with a traditional and the traditional is usually either a GEC, Northwoods, CSC or a custom. I don't go outta the house without a Sebenza in my pocket and thanks to a friend here I have a choice of Sebenza s so there's always one for every occasion.

CY0RS8Y.jpg

Here's some GEC pics 'cause we all know, pics make it better,
jNLKvFz.jpg

fSaYM7p.jpg
TL0ZtEm.jpg
xtFKmHZ.jpg
3MGooAD.jpg
d5rQKTB.jpg
6ihMhup.jpg

A couple of my customs that get a lot of carry,
Ee5podJ.jpg

My GEC 25 is probably my favorite pocket knife. At first I thought what a fat little stubby but the size and shape has really grown on me as I've carried and used it. A great little knife, carry it and use it and I think you'll really like it. I Did thin the edge out and gave it a shallow convex edge witch in my opinion is much better than the factory edge.

Last edited:
GEC's are great.

My favourite pattern is the #15, especially the single bladed models, I have one of those in knifebrite acrylic. Love it. I will add to this that it came to me unused and unsharpened with quite a bit of bladeplay. So much so that I sent it all the way back from EU to US. I paid for the shipping, GEC fixed my knife(rock solid) and sent it back for free.

I also have a #38 special in stag, this one has developed some slight play relativly quickly, kinda disapointing, but we'll see how bad it gets.

I also like the #14's and have a single bladed one in jigged bone. It's a little small but otherwise perfect, same lenght as the #25 you'll get.

Enjoy the knives, but beware. Trad's are addictive.. :D

You will be impressed by GEC as compared to Case. Micarta is a great material.

I have a Sebbie I carry only occasionally. If yours has been idle for two years, you won't miss it.

I thought, that putting this thread in traditional forum, folks would be excited that I took such a leap into the world of traditionals.

I also thought that I'd have more people telling me about GEC knives.
Pictures, stories, info on the company etc.

I don't need to hear about Sebenzas. I know, I had one. (Especially in the traditional forum).

This thread is derailing on me.

What do you want, a pat on the back? It's a forum, not a blog, you can't control the direction a conversation takes. Besides it's not an either/or proposition. Plenty of room for knives of all types.

12680698513_f55971c965_c.jpg

Back