Well, my Sebenza is gone

I thought, that putting this thread in traditional forum, folks would be excited that I took such a leap into the world of traditionals.

I also thought that I'd have more people telling me about GEC knives.
Pictures, stories, info on the company etc.

I don't need to hear about Sebenzas. I know, I had one. (Especially in the traditional forum).

This thread is derailing on me.
You probably should have posted here before making this trade.

What do you want, a pat on the back? It's a forum, not a blog, you can't control the direction a conversation takes. Besides it's not an either/or proposition. Plenty of room for knives of all types.

12680698513_f55971c965_c.jpg
Oh by no means, don't take it that way.
Its hard to get "emotion" through typing on the Internet.
I meant that I was hearing things after I had already made a decision.
I don't care about seeing opinions, that's fine.
I'm comfortable with the decision I made.
I was just hoping to hear more about GECs as a whole, rather than stuff I already knew about. Thats all.

Wasn't trying to come off as "whiny" or condescending.

Upon reading that post, I can see how it could have been taken as such.
My bad

You probably should have posted here before making this trade.
That was all a misunderstanding.
I didnt mean to come off the way it was perceived.
I'm comfortable with the trade I made, I was just hoping to hear more about GEC stuff, rather than Sebenza stuff I already know.
My apologies to you and anyone else I inadvertently insulted.

Last edited:
First GEC I ever bought was a 25, and I still have it. It's a wonderful knife. I still own a couple 14s, couple 15s, an 18, an 83, and a fixed blade. In the past I've owned a 74, 77, and about a dozen and a half other 15s. I've never had an issue with a single one as far as fit & finish. The 15s are on the cusp of the large side of my personal preference, which I know puts me in a minority. My 14s are just about perfect, honestly, and my 83 is a dream. It's great that you're getting into traditional knives, and you can typically buy multiple high quality traditionals for the same price as the gigantic (imo) modern folders that are very popular (Spyderco, Benchmade, Chris Reeve, etc). 1095 steel won't give you what your S35VN gave you, but traditionals are typically so thinly ground that they will still slice like no one's business.

First GEC I ever bought was a 25, and I still have it. It's a wonderful knife. I still own a couple 14s, couple 15s, an 18, an 83, and a fixed blade. In the past I've owned a 74, 77, and about a dozen and a half other 15s. I've never had an issue with a single one as far as fit & finish. The 15s are on the cusp of the large side of my personal preference, which I know puts me in a minority. My 14s are just about perfect, honestly, and my 83 is a dream. It's great that you're getting into traditional knives, and you can typically buy multiple high quality traditionals for the same price as the gigantic (imo) modern folders that are very popular (Spyderco, Benchmade, Chris Reeve, etc). 1095 steel won't give you what your S35VN gave you, but traditionals are typically so thinly ground that they will still slice like no one's business.
I'm actually looking forward to 1095. Its nothing I've ever used on a pocket-type knife. The only other thing I have in 1095 is a machete, and...well, basically never had experience sharpening it.

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here. Seriously though, you are most likely about to become addicted to the quality that GEC has to offer. For example, I don't really even like carbon steel if I'm being honest but GEC makes such great knives that I can't stay away.

In most cases you'll get gapless backsprings, zero blade play, centered blades, smooth transitions from handle to bolster, decent blade grinds, pinned shields, etc. Pretty much all the stuff us knife lovers look for in a pocket knife. Just don't get your hopes up for a lot of stainless steel offerings.

If you like pocket knives with the kind of consistent quality that used to come out of the factories decades ago, you're on the right track.

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here. Seriously though, you are most likely about to become addicted to the quality that GEC has to offer. For example, I don't really even like carbon steel if I'm being honest but GEC makes such great knives that I can't stay away.

In most cases you'll get gapless backsprings, zero blade play, centered blades, smooth transitions from handle to bolster, decent blade grinds, pinned shields, etc. Pretty much all the stuff us knife lovers look for in a pocket knife. Just don't get your hopes up for a lot of stainless steel offerings.

If you like pocket knives with the kind of consistent quality that used to come out of the factories decades ago, you're on the right track.
Sounds like I'm in for a treat!

One thing to note for the OP. GEC lockbacks generally have vertical play. This is becoming less common with newer releases but should be expected none the less.

kamagong kamagong -beautiful Ohta(?). Op-GECs are great, my first was a 99. Still love it. I do tend to carry my BF Drover more(like everyday) but I use my D2 Queen more often. I did have that reground by Tom Krein though, thinned it, makes a beautiful cutter now, still plenty of steel for heavy cutting. Check out some 440C GECs as you can, Stainless can be real nice. Their fixed blades are nice and of a size for pocket carry, if you wish. Just my 2 cents. And, it’s ok to carry a modern and a traditional at the same time too;).
Thanks, Neal and good luck!

A-Ive only ever owned Case slipjoints, never GEC. What should I expect? The GEC knife will generally have a "thicker" build than a Case Knife. If you're used to Case's stainless, most GEC knives are 1095 and will patina, rust and pit. Not as "pretty" as Case stainless. GEC knives have better stag. GEC knives have sunken rivets; Case's are flush (prettier in my opinion). Case sticks to brass and nickel silver liners, GEC mixes in steel (I think.) This assumes that you are experienced with the "normal" line of Case knives; their top of the line Tony Bose mid-tech knives are a beast in and of themselves.

B-Is there any fancy care required for Micarta handles? I've never owned any micarta. I've heard they can dry up and absorb odors. Micarta is used on modern folders bacause it DOES NOT need special care and DOES NOT absorb things. Micarta doesn't absorb water, thus it cannot "dry up." The surface can be abraded by rough use and then it may pick up some coloration from the dirt and oil in your hand, but it washes off pretty easy. Micarta was the material chosen by Bob Loveless for his line of traditional folders made by Fantoni for Lone Wolf.

No kidding! First time I’ve seen that reaction around these parts.

What reaction? The man mentioned that he traded the Sebenza for some knives. Others shared their thoughts, though some were not ones he expected.

GEC makes a nice knife to be sure. They currently make the best production slipjoints, if you exclude the Case/Bose annual collaborations. But they are not the be-all and end-all of knives. And they're not even close to the quality of a CRK.

I just recently aquired a couple GECs ... I tend to carry a modern folder with a pocket clip and a traditional slipjoint ... used to carry Case or a SAK and occasionally still carry the SAK ... but the GECs and a Bulldog Brand have pretty much taken over the slipjoint carry lately.

Love the fit and finish of the GECs ... the 1095 sharpens easily and is easy to keep sharp with an evening touch up ... and I find myself looking for a couple specific models now ...

I think you will find the GEC a high quality knife ... and if the traditionals were calling to you over a Sebenza ... no harm in that everyone has what they like to carry.

Personally I find my 25 too small so it doesn’t see much pocket time at all. It is however an excellent little knife. Top notch F&F, strong spring and there’s nothing wrong with GEC 1095. As some have mentioned the only area GEC really needs to work on is their factory edge but 1095 is not terribly hard to sharpen. Don’t own a Hay’n Helper but have not read about anyone complaining about one, and have heard the Swisstools are good, (I like leatherman). As far as the Sebenza is concerned, it was mentioned you can always find a buyer, but you can also always find one for sale, (a touch harder for me as a lefty) if you decide you really miss it so no big deal there. As long as you feel it was a fair trade or one that made sense for you. You don’t have to worry for a second about micarta, it’s tough as nails, water, oils, detergent, sun it can take it all. Stains can be removed, and scratches and chips are rare, can be sanded out or just let it all develop its own character. Never had any smells absorb into any of mine, not even my homemade stuff.

Back