Whacha Been Up To......

000Robert

Gold Member
Clean, awe inspiring work Dave and a great testament to michine stitching.

On a side note to everyone I just saw that Weaver Leather Supply is giving away a Weaver 303 sewing machine (1/4" up to size 92 thread). I'm not familiar with the machine but the price sure is right😁

Thanks! I entered. I was just on their website last night looking around and I didn't notice the giveaway. I am thinking about buying my oblong punches from Weaver.

Redmeadow Knives

John Conner / lessismore
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Tandy's oblong punches don't say made in the USA so I don't think they are. I'll pay extra and get a good punch. I'll probably need a 1 1/2" and a 2 1/2".
I misunderstood you earlier, I thought you meant an oval punch for belt holes. This is what I was talking about. Not sure where Craftool is made (China, Japan, Mars?) but this seems to stout enough for it's intended purpose.
20210909_132129-01.jpeg

I picked up one of Tandys cheap 1" oblong punches at the same time. It works after sharpening but is an abomination of a tool. I'm with you on those, buy once cry once. I'm in the market for a good maul, I'm just not quite ready to shed the tears on a Barry King yet.

000Robert

Gold Member
I misunderstood you earlier, I thought you meant an oval punch for belt holes. This is what I was talking about. Not sure where Craftool is made (China, Japan, Mars?) but this seems to stout enough for it's intended purpose.
View attachment 1637005

I picked up one of Tandys cheap 1" oblong punches at the same time. It works after sharpening but is an abomination of a tool. I'm with you on those, buy once cry once. I'm in the market for a good maul, I'm just not quite ready to shed the tears on a Barry King yet.

I meant oblong punches for belt slits. Yep, those mauls can get pretty expensive. The round one that I bought from Tandy years ago is still working good. It's the Craftool Poly Maul. It would be nice to have a Barry King maul! I guess I need to save up for a good sewing machine now.

B2222ABF-C0D5-4C03-B32F-B2678CD05B13.jpeg

Tried my hand at a G2 style sheath. The tutorial is great. I think I chickened out on getting the stitches too close. It the knife still clicks into place.
the knife is a Case Swing Guard, one of those I long wanted and finally bought.
14510063-274D-4ABB-9974-44BDEE7C37BC.jpeg

Horsewright

Definitely Weaver on the bag/slot or oblong punches. They make a very crisp clean hole and are by far the best quality of any bag punches I've used. I'm gonna have a 2.5" custom made here pretty soon though as 2" is the longest Weaver makes.

B2222ABF-C0D5-4C03-B32F-B2678CD05B13.jpeg

Tried my hand at a G2 style sheath. The tutorial is great. I think I chickened out on getting the stitches too close. It the knife still clicks into place.
the knife is a Case Swing Guard, one of those I long wanted and finally bought.
14510063-274D-4ABB-9974-44BDEE7C37BC.jpeg
That is cool my friend. Very nice work! Where ya been hiding?

000Robert

Gold Member
I finished my CPK UF Bald Eagle SOB leather sheath! I decided to wait till I have something to heat the Neatsfoot Oil in properly before I use it. So I went ahead and used Dark Mahogany dye. It doesn't look great but I learned a lot making this sheath. I'll try to do a better job on the next sheath.

UF-SOB-23a.jpg

Horsewright

3C45B14C-AE3C-4BDE-832D-4E8F32138CCD.jpeg

lost half my post!
Our 1/2 acre of heaven backs up to a big wood lot that’s full of wildlife. Deer, groundhogs, rabbits, hawks & even a great horned owl. And a mile from the m the beach :)
Welcome to the country! Good deal and congrats! Very nice work too. Are ya retired or commuting?

Horsewright

I finished my CPK UF Bald Eagle SOB leather sheath! I decided to wait till I have something to heat the Neatsfoot Oil in properly before I use it. So I went ahead and used Dark Mahogany dye. It doesn't look great but I learned a lot making this sheath. I'll try to do a better job on the next sheath.

View attachment 1638291
Why generally not a fan of painted work, I find this works for me. Nice job.

Retired. Got laid off in ‘19 and I took it as a hint :)
Good deal! Congrats on that too!!

Horsewright

Thanks, Dave!
Ya bet.

A few recents:

Roughout rangeflap holster:

K5HcFwj.jpg

The roughout wasn't very uniform on this piece so I hit it lightly with a palm sander and 120 grit. Pretty pleased with how it became more uniform.

A Slot and Loop sheath. To be worn butt forward on the right hip:

gw636rR.jpg

QLl7kfD.jpg

And the Sonoran Hunter that goes in it:

rrw4FiI.jpg

3LbrlEc.jpg

Nichole did up a couple IWBs:

2bpV6l6.jpg

jvP6deb.jpg

One of my son's horses in Nevada. Rowdy is catching some air. Long miles and wet saddle blankets get them horses honest:

sanrxAW.jpg

yG2Mrta.jpg

8dRf7u3.jpg

Horsewright headstall, reins, curbstrap, martingale/breastcollar and also a pair of Horsewright shotgun chaps over the saddle seat. Everybody is catching some air.