Whacha Been Up To......

Clean, awe inspiring work Dave and a great testament to michine stitching.

On a side note to everyone I just saw that Weaver Leather Supply is giving away a Weaver 303 sewing machine (1/4" up to size 92 thread). I'm not familiar with the machine but the price sure is right😁

Thanks! I entered. I was just on their website last night looking around and I didn't notice the giveaway. I am thinking about buying my oblong punches from Weaver.

Tandy's oblong punches don't say made in the USA so I don't think they are. I'll pay extra and get a good punch. I'll probably need a 1 1/2" and a 2 1/2".
I misunderstood you earlier, I thought you meant an oval punch for belt holes. This is what I was talking about. Not sure where Craftool is made (China, Japan, Mars?) but this seems to stout enough for it's intended purpose.
20210909_132129-01.jpeg

I picked up one of Tandys cheap 1" oblong punches at the same time. It works after sharpening but is an abomination of a tool. I'm with you on those, buy once cry once. I'm in the market for a good maul, I'm just not quite ready to shed the tears on a Barry King yet.

I misunderstood you earlier, I thought you meant an oval punch for belt holes. This is what I was talking about. Not sure where Craftool is made (China, Japan, Mars?) but this seems to stout enough for it's intended purpose.
View attachment 1637005

I picked up one of Tandys cheap 1" oblong punches at the same time. It works after sharpening but is an abomination of a tool. I'm with you on those, buy once cry once. I'm in the market for a good maul, I'm just not quite ready to shed the tears on a Barry King yet.

I meant oblong punches for belt slits. Yep, those mauls can get pretty expensive. The round one that I bought from Tandy years ago is still working good. It's the Craftool Poly Maul. It would be nice to have a Barry King maul! I guess I need to save up for a good sewing machine now.

B2222ABF-C0D5-4C03-B32F-B2678CD05B13.jpeg

Tried my hand at a G2 style sheath. The tutorial is great. I think I chickened out on getting the stitches too close. It the knife still clicks into place.
the knife is a Case Swing Guard, one of those I long wanted and finally bought.
14510063-274D-4ABB-9974-44BDEE7C37BC.jpeg

Definitely Weaver on the bag/slot or oblong punches. They make a very crisp clean hole and are by far the best quality of any bag punches I've used. I'm gonna have a 2.5" custom made here pretty soon though as 2" is the longest Weaver makes.

B2222ABF-C0D5-4C03-B32F-B2678CD05B13.jpeg

Tried my hand at a G2 style sheath. The tutorial is great. I think I chickened out on getting the stitches too close. It the knife still clicks into place.
the knife is a Case Swing Guard, one of those I long wanted and finally bought.
14510063-274D-4ABB-9974-44BDEE7C37BC.jpeg
That is cool my friend. Very nice work! Where ya been hiding?

I finished my CPK UF Bald Eagle SOB leather sheath! I decided to wait till I have something to heat the Neatsfoot Oil in properly before I use it. So I went ahead and used Dark Mahogany dye. It doesn't look great but I learned a lot making this sheath. I'll try to do a better job on the next sheath.

UF-SOB-23a.jpg

3C45B14C-AE3C-4BDE-832D-4E8F32138CCD.jpeg

lost half my post!
Our 1/2 acre of heaven backs up to a big wood lot that’s full of wildlife. Deer, groundhogs, rabbits, hawks & even a great horned owl. And a mile from the m the beach :)
Welcome to the country! Good deal and congrats! Very nice work too. Are ya retired or commuting?

I finished my CPK UF Bald Eagle SOB leather sheath! I decided to wait till I have something to heat the Neatsfoot Oil in properly before I use it. So I went ahead and used Dark Mahogany dye. It doesn't look great but I learned a lot making this sheath. I'll try to do a better job on the next sheath.

View attachment 1638291
Why generally not a fan of painted work, I find this works for me. Nice job.

Retired. Got laid off in ‘19 and I took it as a hint :)
Good deal! Congrats on that too!!

Thanks, Dave!
Ya bet.

A few recents:

Roughout rangeflap holster:

K5HcFwj.jpg

The roughout wasn't very uniform on this piece so I hit it lightly with a palm sander and 120 grit. Pretty pleased with how it became more uniform.

A Slot and Loop sheath. To be worn butt forward on the right hip:

gw636rR.jpg

QLl7kfD.jpg

And the Sonoran Hunter that goes in it:

rrw4FiI.jpg

3LbrlEc.jpg

Nichole did up a couple IWBs:

2bpV6l6.jpg

jvP6deb.jpg

One of my son's horses in Nevada. Rowdy is catching some air. Long miles and wet saddle blankets get them horses honest:

sanrxAW.jpg

yG2Mrta.jpg

8dRf7u3.jpg

Horsewright headstall, reins, curbstrap, martingale/breastcollar and also a pair of Horsewright shotgun chaps over the saddle seat. Everybody is catching some air.

There is something about hand stitching that is relaxing…sure does take a lot of time and tv shows though. Haha.
View attachment 1644633
Those are nice, I like the almost grassy/bamboo effect of the second from the left, that looks really cool.

I love hand stitching, setting each stitch and seeing things take shape is relaxing. Dressing them afterwards with an awl and getting the flow right is satisfying as can be. My problem is I can't stand the hours of prep leading up to the 15 minutes of stitching. I can make a knife quicker than I can make a sheath :oops: My process gets good results but is terribly inefficient.

Back