Whacha Been Up To......

I’m still learning myself so I didn’t wanna chime right in. But I will add one thing I’ve learned towards being consistent. I try to hold my maul the same way. Also for me I’ve found that using more wrist than arm helps. I try and let the mauls weight do the work with just a little momentum ? But again I’m learning myself so what do I know lol :)

Keep at it it’s looking good 👍😁
Glad you chimed in, the maul still feels awkward to me. I need to stamp the hell out of some scrap to get the hang of it. Good advice about letting the maul do the work, I may be trying to control it too much, letting gravity do most the work sounds like a good idea. Kind of like when forging, guiding the fall of the hammer is sometimes all that is needed. When the face doesn't bounce off kilter you know you've got it parallel with the surface, I could apply the same idea to the maul along with using more wrist and less elbow. I found my hand changing position on the handle as well, I'm sure that affects consistency too.

Glad you chimed in, the maul still feels awkward to me. I need to stamp the hell out of some scrap to get the hang of it. Good advice about letting the maul do the work, I may be trying to control it too much, letting gravity do most the work sounds like a good idea. Kind of like when forging, guiding the fall of the hammer is sometimes all that is needed. When the face doesn't bounce off kilter you know you've got it parallel with the surface, I could apply the same idea to the maul along with using more wrist and less elbow. I found my hand changing position on the handle as well, I'm sure that affects consistency too.

I've found too that often folks are sitting too low to their work. A little taller stool can help ya allow the maul to come down instead of having to lift it at an angle and then rolling it over as it descends so that it lands flat. Its something to check. Nichole finished a few belts. I'm working on another batch of knives. Sewing up the sheaths today.

TTx6j3M.jpg

C3nqVHW.jpg

The Patriot belt:

wH19EC0.jpg

MDIC8Ka.jpg

I love my Craftool tapered Poly maul for basic stamping. It weighs about 17.5oz. I don't like it for cutting slits and large stamps though. I can't wait till I can afford a Wayne Jueschke 2 pound tapered maul!

I've found too that often folks are sitting too low to their work. A little taller stool can help ya allow the maul to come down instead of having to lift it at an angle and then rolling it over as it descends so that it lands flat. Its something to check.
Good point Dave, I recently picked up an adjustable stool from Harbor Freight that should help. It's surprisingly sturdy coming from them.
I love my Craftool tapered Poly maul for basic stamping. It weighs about 17.5oz. I don't like it for cutting slits and large stamps though. I can't wait till I can afford a Wayne Jueschke 2 pound tapered maul!
So my kids have been wanting their own mauls since I got mine. Santa bit the bullet and picked up two of the 14oz ones from Barry King (yeah, ouch). It's hard to say no when a 6 & 8 year old want tools for Christmas, I was more than happy to oblige. The weight feels nice and can't wait to give them a try.

Jueschke makes some nice looking tools, I'd like to try to get to the Sheridan show next year and take a look first hand at the tools.

Finished this beast up lol.
This was the first sheath off a new pattern I made. After getting it together I saw where improvements could be made. So I made another for the buyer with the upgrades :)
Today I figured I’d finish it up.
Made for a good warm up before touching new sheaths 👍
FB7B9998-7130-4437-823D-05AB7E435799.jpegEE976158-DC31-43CF-A345-DF7658A16F69.jpegEA720E01-5AAD-45B6-98AC-31511DCD35DD.jpegBAEBC815-A2E8-4DD2-803F-DA210FE3B409.jpeg

I've found too that often folks are sitting too low to their work. A little taller stool can help ya allow the maul to come down instead of having to lift it at an angle and then rolling it over as it descends so that it lands flat. Its something to check. Nichole finished a few belts. I'm working on another batch of knives. Sewing up the sheaths today.

TTx6j3M.jpg

C3nqVHW.jpg

The Patriot belt:

wH19EC0.jpg

MDIC8Ka.jpg

I really love your belts !!! Well all your work is just top shelf !! but the belts 👍👍

Really nice clea
Finished this beast up lol.
This was the first sheath off a new pattern I made. After getting it together I saw where improvements could be made. So I made another for the buyer with the upgrades :)
Today I figured I’d finish it up.
Made for a good warm up before touching new sheaths 👍
View attachment 1692567View attachment 1692568View attachment 1692569View attachment 1692570
Really nice, clean work. I do so many one off's that I know a lot about needing a second try sometimes. As I get older it happens a lot less but it still happens.
I picked up that stamp set you used on the sheath and found out it can be a bit challenging to to get everything lined up properly. You did outstanding.
Randy

Really nice clea

Really nice, clean work. I do so many one off's that I know a lot about needing a second try sometimes. As I get older it happens a lot less but it still happens.
I picked up that stamp set you used on the sheath and found out it can be a bit challenging to to get everything lined up properly. You did outstanding.
Randy

Thank you very much !!! I really appreciate it :)

Yeah sometimes I finish my first go at a new sheath. Then I get to go over it and I see where I can improve. Move a stitch, wider welt , less welt , maybe just move things around etc . Hard to tell on paper until I make that first one.

Yes that stamp set can be nerve wrecking lol !!!! But I think it’s worth it in the end, creates a nice look IMO :)

Good point Dave, I recently picked up an adjustable stool from Harbor Freight that should help. It's surprisingly sturdy coming from them.

So my kids have been wanting their own mauls since I got mine. Santa bit the bullet and picked up two of the 14oz ones from Barry King (yeah, ouch). It's hard to say no when a 6 & 8 year old want tools for Christmas, I was more than happy to oblige. The weight feels nice and can't wait to give them a try.

Jueschke makes some nice looking tools, I'd like to try to get to the Sheridan show next year and take a look first hand at the tools.

Good deal on the kids tools. Start with good stuff if a guy can. Enjoy these moments they don't last forever:

akGRWXH.jpg

Still cowboyin'

BGOXuU3.jpg

Works on a 1.2 million acre ranch in NV. Thats bigger than some eastern states!
I really love your belts !!! Well all your work is just top shelf !! but the belts 👍👍

Thank you sir!

this sheath has been freaking me out, so I've put it off for quite awhile. I guess I figured today would be the day to tackle it and find out if I screwed up and have any misalignments. So far, so good. Really looking forward to it being glue together finally
31pIGO3.jpg

Gauk70q.jpg

Hi guys. I figured I would get yalls opinion about this. I am planning on putting a US Navy embroidered patch on my sons CPK DEK1 OWB sheath. I think it would look pretty cool. I thought about gluing it to the leather first, and then sewing it at the top of the blue with blue thread. Maybe I can hide the thread so it's not too obvious. Then I can put some tape around the outside of the patch and apply the Neatsfoot oil to the rest of the leather around it. What do yall think?

Douglas-OWB-1a.jpg

Back