What’s your go-to dog walking carry? Let’s see some pics!

Another note on pepper spray.
Even if you think it’s unlikely you’d ever use it, it could be a lifesaver in court if you ever had to use deadly force. Having the option of a lower force level allows you to articulate that you had the option but that it wasn’t reasonable for XYZ reasons... If aren’t carrying any, you don’t have that powerful piece of defense...
Very well said. Thank you for your comment. Definitely something to consider and keep in mind for sure.

A husky of course :D

eol9qFS.jpg
I like the looks of that dog. I bet he is smart!

I'm a bit iffy about pepper spray . It's a great alternative ...IF it works when you need it .

I would personally never rely entirely on one can of anything to save my life . How do you test it or practice with it ? ( There are a few products that have practice / training potential but how many people actually use them ? )

The best quality , well proven products that are used by professional LEO / animal control would be the best bet .

Bear spray might be more reliable than most cheap generic stuff for SD . One hopes !

would personally never rely entirely on one can of anything to save my life . How do you test it or practice with it ? ( There are a few products that have practice / training potential but how many people actually use them ? )
I agree completely - I’d leave the pepper spray at home before a firearm or knife, but it’s always nice to have options.

I have carried an Asp brand “Palm Defender” for over a decade. I highly recommend the ASP Defender series for a few reasons. 1) OC formulation is used by police, 2) can be had in a very small/lightweight size, 3) to your point above, they sell inert cartridges for training, and 4) the tube is aluminum and therefore doubles as a kuboton.

fh1tsOC.jpg
Lg3XLSK.jpg
What’s your go-to knife for walking the dog? This Spyderco Matriarch 2 is my official carry when walking the puppers. I’m usually carrying a o-light warrior mini as well if it’s at night.

What’s in your pocket?
I like the doggo’s expression. Like, “Yeah, that’s not gonna be his last knife.”

I'm a bit iffy about pepper spray . It's a great alternative ...IF it works when you need it .

I would personally never rely entirely on one can of anything to save my life . How do you test it or practice with it ? ( There are a few products that have practice / training potential but how many people actually use them ? )

The best quality , well proven products that are used by professional LEO / animal control would be the best bet .

Bear spray might be more reliable than most cheap generic stuff for SD . One hopes !

I get mine from our postal carrier. I take him at his word (as I’ve known him for over 15 years) when he says it will neutralize the threat almost immediately.

You have to understand that I’m in the deep woods of Oklahoma. Coyotes, bobcats, black bears (if they’ve got cubs), feral hogs, and coydogs are all things you’re liable to run across. Yes, we have feral humans too.

I feel comfortable toting it. I’m used to the woods and don’t fear much when I’m in them. Could that change? Certainly. But I’m also not one to borrow trouble over a minuscule threat.

Last edited:
I have no apprehension about black bears. I’m not saying I’ll go twist one in the tenderloin, they’re just not aggressive in these parts.

But we’ve also got grizzlies, big cats, and wolves. Excepting one or two city trails, I’ll 100% have bear spray and there’s a good chance it’ll be accompanied by a 9mm or .45 acp. (I’d have a 10mm if there was a reliable source of ammo atm.).

Of course I always have a knife no matter where I go.

Back