What about Bob?

Bob looks just dandy now :D
My 43 Oregon trapper Rust red Jig bone has been carried over 2 weeks straight now and that’s a record for me lol .
Yes I know he’s not a Bob and only a distant relative :(
Ha thanks TheFactor TheFactor ! Love the rust red on those. It's all good though, his cousin should be in the post today!

Ha thanks TheFactor TheFactor ! Love the rust red on those. It's all good though, his cousin should be in the post today!
Thanks ! And Done :)
6eloeHJ.jpg

So that didn't last long. Bob already has family over for a visit. Came in the post yesterday but didn't have enough time for a good look so came along for a ride today but spending most of its time in tube.
41213263571_db3458a28f_b.jpg

Already planning on making a few changes to Bob. Probably tomorrow night, I'd like to sand down and polish a tiny bit of the "run ups"? I think that's what they are called (still learning knife anatomy).
40317005335_7033fe4a33_b.jpg

I want to do this because I don't want to use a pocket slip for Bob. But the last time I did that with a knife, the run up was such a sharp edge it actually put a bunch of scratches in my wallet. So I'm hoping to avoid that from happening again.
40317006155_ebfcd7a381_b.jpg

Congrats on the new arrival!

Consider lightly taking a green scotch brite pad to the bolsters as well. I think the satin finish looks much better on a user and scratches don't look so glaring.

Mirror polish bolsters on a knife with a satin blade bearing patina just bumps my eye. Added benefit is that I think the knife photographs better. Less to deal with in the way of reflections and blown out highlights.

Congrats on the new arrival!

Consider lightly taking a green scotch brite pad to the bolsters as well. I think the satin finish looks much better on a user and scratches don't look so glaring.

Mirror polish bolsters on a knife with a satin blade bearing patina just bumps my eye. Added benefit is that I think the knife photographs better. Less to deal with in the way of reflections and blown out highlights.
That's a good idea. I may try that this weekend. It will got a lot more scratches riding in my pocket without a slip too.

Update on Bob. Did some work on the run up's last night. They turned out pretty good and only effected the back springs in the tiniest bit. This is all taped up and ready to start sanding with 220 wet/dry.
26405990177_0cc6a5ed6b_c.jpg

And this is after about 30 seconds worth of hand sanding.
40381319595_b56cd45a17_c.jpg

Much smoother and shouldn't scratch anything in my pocket. I wanted to get rid of those deep scratches though so I grabbed some 2200 dry to try and polish them out a bit.
27405038368_f759f91656_c.jpg

Kinda hard to tell from the photo but that helped a lot. I'm not too concerned about scratches either as this is my daily user knife.
39468161430_8346e11043_c.jpg

Here's the back of the blade's in some better lighting and all cleaned up. You can still see some of the scratches but they are much better than before.
41235263242_f3f3ab0938_c.jpg

Side note, the patina on the main blade is coming in nicely. I have found that I use the main spear point for cutting up food and the secondary pen blade for everything else, cutting up boxes, rope, auto maintenance, ect.
40564518724_f63be42a2a_c.jpg

Also, something that has kinda bugged me is the access to the spear point blades nail nick. Its slightly hidden behind the pen blade, so I changed it. All taped up and ready to file down the kick.
41277910961_f2f5444dab_c.jpg
26406008137_7d6e535037_c.jpg

I would take about 3 strokes and then check results, took my time and went slow. Only had to take off the smallest amount of metal before I had results.
26406002927_349a75de80_c.jpg

This is the before on the left and after on the right. Smallest change but exactly what I was looking for.
41234352452_209933abd9_c.jpg
41234342762_bc44dcacf5_c.jpg

Here's the back of the blade's in some better lighting and all cleaned up. You can still see some of the scratches but they are much better than before.
41235263242_f3f3ab0938_c.jpg

Side note, the patina on the main blade is coming in nicely. I have found that I use the main spear point for cutting up food and the secondary pen blade for everything else, cutting up boxes, rope, auto maintenance, ect.
40564518724_f63be42a2a_c.jpg
Thank you for taking us along. Nice work with the sand paper.

The modern separate uses for two or more blades often have one dedicated to food usage. I have seen this referred to as a "clean" blade and a "dirty" blade. The clean one is the one used for food, and the dirty one is used for utility (the non-edible type of utility).

Thanks again.

Thank you for taking us along. Nice work with the sand paper.

The modern separate uses for two or more blades often have one dedicated to food usage. I have seen this referred to as a "clean" blade and a "dirty" blade. The clean one is the one used for food, and the dirty one is used for utility (the non-edible type of utility).

Thanks again.
Oh okay. That's exactly what I've been doing ha. My "clean" blade has been kept washed and only bothered to clean the "dirty" one once or twice. Appreciate the info NJBillK NJBillK

Update on Bob. Did some work on the run up's last night. They turned out pretty good and only effected the back springs in the tiniest bit. This is all taped up and ready to start sanding with 220 wet/dry.
26405990177_0cc6a5ed6b_c.jpg

And this is after about 30 seconds worth of hand sanding.
40381319595_b56cd45a17_c.jpg

Much smoother and shouldn't scratch anything in my pocket. I wanted to get rid of those deep scratches though so I grabbed some 2200 dry to try and polish them out a bit.
27405038368_f759f91656_c.jpg

Kinda hard to tell from the photo but that helped a lot. I'm not too concerned about scratches either as this is my daily user knife.
39468161430_8346e11043_c.jpg

Just curious, but what was the effect on the springs? Looks like they're probably a lot more comfy and less pokey in your fingers when using the knife, too.

Just curious, but what was the effect on the springs? Looks like they're probably a lot more comfy and less pokey in your fingers when using the knife, too.
They are less pokey when I grab on for a solid purchase, it doesn't dig into my pointer finger as bad. The back springs are ever so slightly sunk when the blade is out. I was trying not to remove so much material that the blade run up would be shorter but couldn't help it. Its so insignificant that a photo wont even show it, you can only feel it if you run your finger across the back.

Back