Off Topic What are tolerances

EDM carbon electrodes! Now that brings back some memories for me! Some very, messy, black, messy, everywhere, messy memories!

My Uncle was one of 11 children who were born from 1922 on. I'm sure it was messy. :)

I work in a machine shop too, can I join in on your discussions? Our machines are dinosaurs, but can still mill to within .005" tolerance, which is more tolerance than we need to produce what we do! Yous guys and all your high tech stuff! lol

AGREED!
I ran a surface and Blanchard grinder and made some original (Gov't secretive) parts for early rockets and satellites in the late 1950's. Gosh, manually miking a part to within 0.0003" is duck soup. And that's just on a standard Starrett set of mikes. We left the heavy stuff...measuring to the nearest 0.0001" to the sophisticated gadgets we had in house.
And my Mitutoyo dial mikes easily match my Starrett mikes here at home within 0.0002".

While there is no accurate (or even precise) definition for a "tight tolerance", it usually means something you might use "special" processes to measure or hold. You might use a boring bar to finish a bore instead of just milling it. You might use micrometers or a bore gauge to measure it instead of just calipers.

A standard, everyday tolerance is +/- .005" or .004". Anything tighter you might call "tight".
It's nightshifts fault :)

Opps.. I ment to comment on Bhyde post and accidently posted a reply on davek14.. and now i can't figure out how to delet it. my apologies :/

Last edited:
Back