What are you watching & why? (splain)

Friday 10/04:
Peaky Blinders S5 on the Netti plus both DEF sale and BC’er pre-order!
Maybe some happy hour drinking should be included too?
That's right. Happy hour starts at 5pm. So exactly at 5pm, everyone needs to take a drink. Got that? Exactly at 5pm E.S.T. Fri 10/04, everyone needs to take their first drink. Right on the hour. 5pm. E.S.T. Got it?

Oh, and if you're not at work, feel free to have a drink at exactly 3pm too.

Last edited:
OK, here's my take for y'all cheeky Peaky monkeys!

I breezed through Peaky Blinders S5 which just went live on Netflix on Friday 10/04, and as usual since only 6 episode per season, one can watch in 2-3 eves. It was usual Peaky stuff if you happen to like it but it wasn't my most fave season. Don't get me wrong, I was not disappointed by any means and enjoyed it by quite a bit, but as someone who watched all the past Peaky's in a serious binge (was a late bloomer to PB) I would not drop whatever you're seriously watching just to satiate on this one first and foremost!

Episode 5 at the Swan Lake ballet rendition and Mosley's speech was my fave. I know that life imitates life and vice-versa, but still you can replace the fictional 1930's as shown in the Show with some of today's stuff vis-a-vis rising nationalism across the World (nuff on this). The season ends on a major cliff-hanger but I have read roomers that there will be an S6 and possibly an S7 to wrap up, but BBC has not confirmed anything yet. If BBC decides to can it, it easily can do so based on S5's ending but from what the Show Producer has said, they're planning on taking the story to the outset of WWII era which makes sense if they are going to pursue the story arc in S5 and to tie it all up in like a full circle since Tommy and the gang are by and large the by-product of the inhumanity caused by WWI.

P.S. Arthur is an epic vicious animal/beast per usual, if not even more so :D

El Camino debuted on Netflix last night. It's a 2 hour motion picture! I will make some more comments after some of you fellow Breaking Bad fans have had a chance to watch it because I don't want to spoil it for those who have not. Watch it, there are lots of Easter eggs if you pay close attention ;)

El Camino debuted on Netflix last night. It's a 2 hour motion picture! I will make some more comments after some of you fellow Breaking Bad fans have had a chance to watch it because I don't want to spoil it for those who have not. Watch it, there are lots of Easter eggs if you pay close attention ;)

R.I.P. Robert Forster. Cool guy

Random movie related thought!

Which one of these past-present male actors (all Oscar nominees / some winners) in leading roles have had their largest share of the shittiest movies?

- Nicolas Cage

- Will Smith

- John Travolta

- Mark Wahlberg

I could also add Tom Cruise but he weirds me out!

My answer is: Nick Cage but ironically I prefer watching his sh*t movies over Smith & Wahlberg! IMO, Marky Mark is the worst if leading but he's had some great performances as a supporting actor. I just can't stand his machismo BS as a leading man. Always seems to be overcompensating!

Which one of these past-present male actors (all Oscar nominees / some winners) in leading roles have had their largest share of the shittiest movies?

- Nicolas Cage

- Will Smith

- John Travolta

- Mark Wahlberg

My answer is: Nick Cage but ironically I prefer watching his sh*t movies over Smith & Wahlberg! IMO, Marky Mark is the worst if leading but he's had some great performances as a supporting actor. I just can't stand his machismo BS as a leading man. Always seems to be overcompensating!
Yeah Nick Cage, he can be a good actor Leaving Las Vegas was great.
I generally won't watch a film Travolta is in I find him annoying, the exception is Pulp Fiction.

I vote Travolta. I'm slightly too young to know him from his 70's fame so Pulp Fiction was a first great introduction but other than that (and maybe Face off) it's pretty bad stuff.
My other half has a thing for Mr. Cage, which I think is ironic but who knows:)
Will Smith seems to be a bit lost at the moment. Gemini man really needs to go well for him but it looks pretty unlikely.
Wahlberg is better in his comedy roles than the tough guy ones. Daddy's home is funny

Eyes wide shut:p

Kubrick was a genius. He lived 10 minutes from my house. A friend of mine went in his house once. Apparently he had a massive room filled with tv's on every wall like a control centre with a different channel on each playing continually. Mad genius.

...and Eyes wide shut made $160 mil off a $60 mil budget:)

The Mummy wasn't great and don't think it did well. But I did like his early stuff Risky Business, he was brilliant in Tropic Thunder

The Mummy wasn't bad though. I agree it wasn't great but I still watched it and finished it. Probably watch it again.
Tom Cruise might be as mad as a box of frogs but his movies are never bad.

That was damn good:thumbsup:

- Nicolas Cage

- Will Smith

- John Travolta

- Mark Wahlberg

Nick Cage by a mile!

While they've all had decent movies, and a stinker here and there, it's hard to appreciate just how many stinkers Nick Cage had been in, unless you look through his IMDB page, or browse through the shelves of a video rental store (lol, good luck finding one of those. There's a Family Video near me that seems to still be doing well, but by and large, they seem to have gone the way of the dodo).

As far as the actors themselves, even this thread illustrates that some actors just rub some folks the wrong way.

For me, Nick Cage's 2 best roles were Leaving Las Vegas and The Rock. Although I have buddies who like Con Air, I just couldn't buy his role as ex-SF. Likewise in Face Off, Travolta did a better job of playing the switched identity than Nick did.

As for Tom Cruise, I don't really follow what movie stars do in their personal lives. I've heard that he's off-the-wall, but I concur that he doesn't really make bad movies. Some aren't great, but I can't think of any stinkers.

I'm trying to watch a lecture on K-Nearest Neighbor algorithms for my masters class. This board keeps distracting me though! I got HDFKs on my mind and can't focus on anything else! :confused:

OK then, seems like our winner is:

- Nick cage

Then followed by:

- Travolta

- Smith & Wahlberg perhaps tied or in that order, like 3a and 3b but close

And Cruise is a no-run and doesn't belong. Yup, I agree that Tom's a commanding actor with very rare to non-existent turd movies even though his personal life is (allegedly) off the wall.

Back