What are your thoughts about the US-made Gerber DoubleDown folding machete/knife?

Good GAWD!

I so want Gerber to turn it around. I really do. And I honestly think they want to.....

And so they need to KNOCK THIS $&!&*#@ STUFF OFF!

I mean, a machete made of 420HC isn't a horrible thing... the stuff is tough and corrosion resistant and all....

And a Balisong is a great idea, because hey... there's a cult following for these babies, even among those of us who suck at flipping them...

But COME ON!

Dammit.

$147 where I looked. I'll stick with this.

Yeah, I bet this really carries well... Use it to cut up APPLES and ORANGES...

It sorta looks like a prototype of a giant version of one of those silly CS Chaos knives where they adapted a weird red handle from a broken ski poll or toy sword. The aborted "CS Especial 4XL Chaos Economaster", or something along those lines. The sort of thing someone found dumpster-diving CS immediately after they moved to TX.

Last edited:
It looks like a giant balisong. I like it. I don't know how good it is at what it's sold to be -- folding machete -- but it befits my penchant for the oddball.
Yeah, it's kinda cool. Certainly cooler than something like an Espada XL, for far less money ($112.99)

Coming from Gerber, I would expect it to be crap. Besides which, six inches of blade on a long handle doesn’t strike me as all that attractive. To test the concept, however, I am planning to stick a piece of broomstick into the handle of a CS Bushman. If it doesn’t work out, I’ll be out $20. If it does, I still won’t get the Gerber thing.

It's ignorant to suggest that all of Gerber's current production, particularly USA-made Gerber instruments are of low quality.

Gerber would greatly benefit from making knives the right way, good steel, good fit/finish, and good prices.

Show the market they see the light.

Instead, they keep proving why they are the outdoor company equivalent of the mail ninja store.

They had a brand they could have built into a powerhouse. Instead, they basically make gimmicks.

Like or not, aware of it or not, Gerber makes (and has made) a very wide range of knives. More than a few models are of high quality.

Good GAWD!

I so want Gerber to turn it around. I really do. And I honestly think they want to.....

And so they need to KNOCK THIS $&!&*#@ STUFF OFF!

I mean, a machete made of 420HC isn't a horrible thing... the stuff is tough and corrosion resistant and all....

And a Balisong is a great idea, because hey... there's a cult following for these babies, even among those of us who suck at flipping them...

But COME ON!

Dammit.

I don't know a great deal about Gerber except to say this: some people love to attack them based largely on their past (some really do a job of tipping their own hands in the process too.) I just read a posting on a forum somewhere which talked about how Gerber could only do wrong in some peoples' eyes. After viwing this thread, I think the author nailed it.

Gerber builds a very wide range of instruments today, including many that are of high quality, while some more focused on economy. Suffice to say, neither your opinion (nor mine) defines what Gerber actually does today, their products for sale do. By many critical/informed measures, it's fair to say that Gerber has indeed already "turned it around."

Last edited:
Looks like a quality item, but I’m plenty happy with my Voyager XL. The XL still carries fairly comfortably in the pocket. If I needed a bigger blade, I’d just carry a fixed blade.

Ummmm.....its.....uhh......interesting. lol
Hopefully it comes with a coupon for the emergency room when it breaks. Also, I wouldnt call that short blade a machete. Just calling it a machete doeant make it one.
Also, not a fan of the steel for a machete. Especially for that price.
It is kind of cool though, in a mall ninja way.

If actual machete use, those screws are going to fly off the first thing.

If actual machete use, those screws are going to fly off the first thing.
Not really, no. There's a brand new video on YouTube where a reviewer gives this instrument a fairly intense test drive. No flying screws.

It’s good that they’re innovating and that it’s US-made. Those are definitely plus points.

But the knife just ain’t for me.

I like the idea. But, this is poorly executed. The blade should be made from a quality carbon steel like 1095 cro van or 5160, or even 3V . It should be heavier, like 3/16”. The handle should be much simpler; lose the quad lock nonsense, and focus instead on a handle lock that actually works and a handle that is both secure and comfortable. Clearly pinching your hands as the lock disengages while in use is a big fail.

I would give Gerber a B for innovation and a D+ for execution. This one should never have left the barn, especially at that price point. They did a lot of things right, but they left elements of the original balisong which is worthless on something which is clearly not that type of knife. It would be interesting to see what a quality innovative company could do with this concept. I would like to see the thing again with the rear gate latch removed and replaced with a rear facing axis style bolt lock. The bolt should pin the handle halves together making them immobile while in use.

n2s

^ I agree; what kills me is this; Gerber is owned by Fiskars of Finland.I think they dropped the ball on the whole scandi/bushcraft market; They could have used their finnish connections to come out with great scandi type knives made in Finland,Tawain,or the U.S. instead of focusing on the cheap stuff and Bear Grylles crap all these years.They should bring back knives like the bolt actions,w thumb lugs and pocket clips,mk1 dagger,and their good late 70s 80s stuff.

^ I agree; what kills me is this; Gerber is owned by Fiskars of Finland.I think they dropped the ball on the whole scandi/bushcraft market; They could have used their finnish connections to come out with great scandi type knives made in Finland,Tawain,or the U.S. instead of focusing on the cheap stuff and Bear Grylles crap all these years.They should bring back knives like the bolt actions,w thumb lugs and pocket clips,mk1 dagger,and their good late 70s 80s stuff.
Agreed. 100%.

As for the thing in the opening post...why bother?

I think they look like some machete-balisongs I made back in 2011. Darn it Gerber stop copying me!

Q29ePsM.jpg

It's ignorant to suggest that all of Gerber's current production, particularly USA-made Gerber instruments are of low quality.

I don’t expect that they are, necessarily. My experience shapes my expectation, and shifts the burden to them to prove otherwise. My experience also tells me that even if they can manage to put out a few decent products, I don’t necessarily want to do business with them. There are plenty of makers who haven’t left a bad taste in my mouth.

Back