What did you rehang today?

It's quite a bit darker on the other side, but It's definitely darker on the other side, and more brown grey colored on that side. It isn't old growth though, since that stuf tot cut down in the middle ages. There even was a tax of sorts on yew during that time. I had a block of yew laying around, so i made to handles out of it. I believe it was a branch, not the trunk. I kind of like the way it looks though, but thats just a personal thing. It's not really salmon though, It's more or les the yellowish, about the color of black locust.
It's works wonderfully for other projects as well. Turns beautifully and takes a high polish.

It was reported that a cask for wine was once made from it and it killed everyone that drank the wine. I have seen spoons carved from it but I wouldn't do it.

We lost a couple small groups of elk here this winter because they got into. It was the ornamental variety used for hedges. The big game routinely browse it here in their natural habitat, especially the deer and moose. Not sure why the elk couldn't handle it...

Here is one I hung recently about a week ago, but I've been spending more time wrenching on my cars and less time working on my axes lately and I hadn't gotten around to taking pictures until now.

BSA National Side by MJGEGB, on Flickr
BSA National BSA Stamp by MJGEGB, on Flickr
BSA National Profile by MJGEGB, on Flickr
BSA National Side in Block by MJGEGB, on Flickr

A 1.25 lbs Plumb National Hand Axe with an Official BSA Stamp on a 14" Hickory handle made by an Amish man in OH. A friend of mine is attempting to get a supply of these handles available for axe enthusiast in a few different sizes. He's even gone as far as to carve two blanks for use on the copy lathe. I must say this was the least amount of reshaping I've done in a long time.

Looking good! :thumbsup:

PicsArt-06-28-10-240967.JPG

PicsArt-06-29-09-241684.JPG

You misunderstood what I said about hemlock. No, hemlock is not a hard wood. But hemlock knots can be glass hard and have a reputation for damaging axes. You may have different varieties over there.
Perfect opportunity to show that Hemlock knot chipped blade pic of yours that makes me cry every time I see it.

Perfect opportunity to show that Hemlock knot chipped blade pic of yours that makes me cry every time I see it.

In another thread, Quinton said he hasn't cried for 45 years. I'd say iy's a good opportunity to tempt him :p.

Whiskey_Jim, I was kind of wondering why you haven't posted for a while. It seems, though, you've been busy while away!

i'v just recently started grinding my edges thin. just for kicks i ground my mini kentucky to a really fine, maybe 20 degree angle and boy does that small, thin blade cut well. the first time i swung it i was really stressing that it would chip. but it didnt.

i'v never chipped an edge but when i do i just might cry

Back