What did you rehang today?

You'll be able to knock a big hole in the woodpile with that refurbished Norlund jb and the handle ain't likely to break unexpectedly either if there's an overstrike. First class job!

PicsArt-07-14-09-254147.JPG
PicsArt-07-14-09-254142.JPG

Last edited:
More of a clean up than a rehang.

Sager Chemical Axe 1922 Octagonal handle.
35152557414_4b91975808_k.jpg

35603594980_29b2075402_k.jpg

35950719756_76bfcba30e_k.jpg

Octagonal handle – original option?

35950718066_af7e07872a_k.jpg
That's a nice one on a nice period haft. The hammer marks on the top and bottom of the head mean it's probably been rehafted a time or two though.

That's a nice one on a nice period haft. The hammer marks on the top and bottom of the head mean it's probably been rehafted a time or two though.

Right on and absolutely. :thumbsup:

The handle is all sharp angles and painted. Even as a replacement it might be old. It could have been banged on and off that same handle trying not to mess it up for all I know.

The one bit does need rough then some soft treatment.

It sat outside, head up for an indeterminate number of years before I picked it up, at least according to the guy I bought it from. He was more concerned with making sure the wire bin got out every day.

JNp2r4A.jpg

NcTlLn2.jpg

http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/it-followed-me-home-part-2.1190276/page-14#post-14176004

It's something axe related.

3lb Duquesne Jersey pattern with a boy's axe eye on a 28".
Nice job!

What do you know about that brand? I could not remember that name so I tried looking on the internet and didn't find anything. Apparently yesteryearstools.com had the same problem:

Info%20Search%20Add%209.jpg

Any information related to any of these companies or the markings?

I also chased after Gail Manufacturing Company and Brindley Hardware Company. In a post on this forum Duquesne was listed as one of the mfrs included with A A & T, but no citation (bummer). It is not in the A A & T list on yesteryears and it is not included in a digital version of an A A & T catalog either. There was one like yours on ebay, but I could not pull up the listing:

I did get the rest of the title and "3 lb 1 oz" was included.

thanks,

Bob

Duquesne is on this 1913 price list for the American Axe & Tool Co.:

books

https://books.google.com/books?id=15s7AQAAMAAJ&dq=duquesne axe hardware&pg=RA9-PA60#v=onepage&q&f=false

About 2/3 down, in both the left column and right column.
Looks like it's their lowest-priced brand.

This was taken from that post by @Steve Tall a while back.

books

Red Ridge, Red Jacket, Niagra Phantom, Rough Rider, and Defender all sound like great condom options as well lol.

rjdankert rjdankert , thanks for the search by the way. I actually was prepared to buy that one in your screenshot - got caught up doing something the time the listing ended.

Here is another picture from a past listing that shows a paper label on both sides:

hBJZdSF.jpg

W0LgIZ2.jpg

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/252906518904

Interesting.

This is my favorite wooden mallet/hammer that I rely on to drive tool wedges. It flew off today during routine exercise. Cherry cross wedge. It’s not coming off again unless I want it to.

36108108512_ef721e9551_k.jpg

35470409113_b513c2abc7_k.jpg

I know it’s not an axe but it is used almost exclusively to put them together and maintain them.

Back