What did you rehang today?

@ hacked, that's a beauty indeed. That one is on my wish list right at the top as soon as I can find an affordable one

Thanks, I picked mine up when I was able to find a decent deal. Patience is key for sure. I've been meaning to make a thread about the handles. It's a new source that another axe collector is working on getting to the market under the name West Woods handles selling on the popular auction site for the time being. Really impressed with the quality on them. I have an 18" on another head that is about 95% done. Which means it's completely usable, but I'm really picky. Once I'm done with that, and grab some photos I'll post a thread about the handles.

Last edited:
Looking good! :thumbsup:
I recently acquired a Plumb National in a 1.75 pound variety (Heavy Hatchet?). However I think a 17 or 19 inch handle would be about right. I would be intersted in some handles from your friend if he's interested in some more business.

I recently acquired a Plumb National in a 1.75 pound variety (Heavy Hatchet?). However I think a 17 or 19 inch handle would be about right. I would be intersted in some handles from your friend if he's interested in some more business.

Cool, it's probably a Plumb Super Scout axe which came on a 16" handle according to one as I found. I know there was a National pattern that came on a 24" handle as well, I guessing this was the explorer. I'm not sure if it was a larger head or not. At 1 19 lbs it's the same head weight as the Gransfors Bruk Scandinavian Forest Axe head which is on a 26" handle. Point being you couldn't go wrong on a longer handle if you wanted to go that way. If you search for West Woods handles you should find his handles in 14", 18", 20" and 24" lengths and there is a 28" based on a NOS link handle in the works as well. The 24" and 20" templates were actually carved out by my friend which is pretty neat.

Here's a picture of the 18" handle under a Council Tools boys axe handle. Note the lack of oversized shoulder, and thin profile.

CT VS Amish by MJGEGB, on Flickr

Palm Swells by MJGEGB, on Flickr

Last edited:
I think a good handle is worth every bit of 30 bucks. Otherwise, get a cheap one and put another 30-60 dollars worth of your time into making it to your liking. I like doing this sometimes, but I'm not afraid of paying for a "no additional work needed" handle. I think that the velvicut handles that I have bought are worth the price

it really depends on how you feel about it, people either dont mind the work and would rather start with a tree, which is me about 4 days out of the year, then sometimes people just dont care and'd rather not deal with the hassle of getting the tools out, thinning it down then cleaning up

Yes sir,is the not having to work on them what makes them 30 dollars ?
I would say yes. My time is worth something, as is yours. Sometimes I don't have the time to spend, so the Extra money for a good handle is a good value to me. The way I look at it, the handles that I have to put time into are more expensive. They are also more satisfying a lot of the time. I just want to point out that spending money on a well made handle should not be looked at as an axe sin or a faux pas. My very most beloved axes are on velvicut handles. I have a Kelly perfect and an Evansville Dayton given to me by my grandfather and brother respectively. I consider them to be my best axes, my best hangs and they have the best handles of any of the dozens of axes that I own.

Well figured I should take the time to finish up the axe I mentioned earlier tonight just before heading off to buy a new wrench and some brake fluid.

It's a Northern King on a West Woods 18" handle with some mild reshaping. Still needs a final edge, but the profile is there.

West Woods 18 VS GB SFA 2 by MJGEGB, on Flickr

West Woods 18 VS SFA by MJGEGB, on Flickr

Northern King VS SFA by MJGEGB, on Flickr
The gransfors axes never appealed to me to begin with, but that Northern king you've put together makes the GB look like crap.

Thanks for the compliments.

Are the handles worth 30 bucks ?

To be fair the two I have were prototypes so to speak sent to me to get my opinion on the handles. Neither of the ones I have are selling for $30 currently, but I suppose some of the larger ones are when you add the cost of shipping in. To me I've seen lesser handles sold for the same or more by other companies, so yes I think the price is fair. I personally have not seen anything close to these on the market today for any price. These are as close to what was once available as we will get these days without making your own, which is rather time consuming, but rewarding.

I'm planning on buying a West woods 24 for a Kelly boys axe. They look great. Did you profile the nob at all?

I think he said there will be boys axe eye 24" handles in the near future double check the current ones, as I'm not sure if they are designed to fit a boys axe. I might be totally wrong though. Yes I did some reshaping on the swell and cut the end after hanging it to give it a classic fawn's hoof look. I also shaped it to the eye, brought the shoulder up in the back of the handle to squeeze out more length, and took away some of the with to suit my needs. I'm very picky about handles though. This and the 14" are still the least amount of effort I've put into handles recently and unlike others do not have major run out which is nice.

If it's "Skookum" then post a link, please.

Not sure on the rules, but if you search eBay for West Woods handle you should find them at the top for the search.

19961384_10213315247024124_898203152832691920_n.jpg

19894809_1628979647143489_6507380198520218594_n.jpg

19961197_1628979753810145_376598059575080207_n.jpg

19959086_1628979933810127_2581033712704603278_n.jpg

The handle is sized biometrically to me and the hatchet is equal in end-to-end length to the distance from the outside of my elbow to my knuckles. Makes for a very natural feeling length.

Last edited:
It feels SO RIGHT in the hand. Thanks again, man--it's gonna' get a good workout 'round here. :D

Cool, it's probably a Plumb Super Scout axe which came on a 16" handle according to one as I found. I know there was a National pattern that came on a 24" handle as well, I guessing this was the explorer. I'm not sure if it was a larger head or not. At 1 19 lbs it's the same head weight as the Gransfors Bruk Scandinavian Forest Axe head which is on a 26" handle. Point being you couldn't go wrong on a longer handle if you wanted to go that way. If you search for West Woods handles you should find his handles in 14", 18", 20" and 24" lengths and there is a 28" based on a NOS link handle in the works as well. The 24" and 20" templates were actually carved out by my friend which is pretty neat.

Here's a picture of the 18" handle under a Council Tools boys axe handle. Note the lack of oversized shoulder, and thin profile.

CT VS Amish by MJGEGB, on Flickr

Palm Swells by MJGEGB, on Flickr
Thak you for the speedy reply. You've definetley given me something to think about and that 18 inch handle is a beauty. If there ever becomes a supply of those handles I would take several of them especially since I just picked up another 1.75 1b Plumb National today. My wife tells me I have a problem . . I told her there are worse habits.

IMG_0149.JPG IMG_0151.JPG IMG_0155.JPG IMG_0159.JPG Kelly Perfect. On a 30" HH. The HH wedge was unusable, and the wedges I had weren't wide enough to span the eye. I had pounded the handle on and couldn't get it out. So, I made a perpendicular cut across the middle of the helve as deep as I could (1/4") and banged in a steel wedge, then installed two wood wedges. I think once I invert it and soak it in BLO for 48 hours, it will snug up nicely. The flat spot on the end knob indicates which side the splitting bit is on. Lesson: make sure of all your materials before you start, and never plan to use an HH wedge.

Last edited:
Back