What did you rehang today?

Not a rehang, just a refinish/clean up. The quality is obvious, but no marks that I can see. The very nice slim handle is 27". There is a weird little crack at the top on one side, but otherwise the axe is awesome. It looks like a real biter.

IMG_20180719_075415 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180719_075449 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180719_075455 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180719_075504 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180719_075510 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180719_075514 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180719_075520 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180719_075544 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr

I agree, looks like a chip thrower...oh that handle and 27"...has the train left the station lol!

Not a rehang, just a refinish/clean up. The quality is obvious, but no marks that I can see. The very nice slim handle is 27". There is a weird little crack at the top on one side, but otherwise the axe is awesome. It looks like a real biter.

IMG_20180719_075415 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180719_075449 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180719_075455 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180719_075504 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180719_075510 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180719_075514 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180719_075520 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180719_075544 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
That’s one curvy handle! Nice!

I wish i had a pic of this before i started. It was a MESS! I almost didn't bother with it but wanted to practice technique rehabbing a bad one. Took me TWO hours to sharpen this! Easily the hardest steel I've ever seen . Don't know if this means it's brittle? I intend to find out this coming winter. I've an oak to fall and I'll just wait for a 10°day to try it!
WTlLvEn.jpg
9zVNiZb.jpg
6QujjFw.jpg

You can see a tiny crack in the weld right in front of where the soft steel terminates.i really think it sat in water for a long time. .
3366jqe.jpg
iYK0DJh.jpg

It feels good to spend some time on an axe that doesn't have an etch or a stamp of any sort. I am convinced this is quality not because of the name, but because of the way it's made and the quality of the steel. Took a chance and ended up with a great cruiser!

Josh ...well done. I too like taking on a challenge. Every time I do one I learn
something. I hope that tiny crack is superficial. Nice ax, good save.
Charles

Josh ...well done. I too like taking on a challenge. Every time I do one I learn
something. I hope that tiny crack is superficial. Nice ax, good save.
Charles
Thank you! The crack right now is exactly 5mm and it has been duly noted. I've already done a lot of cutting with it and it seems totally fine. I have several other axes with either "cracked" or "incomplete" welds. Guess it depends on whether you are an optimist or pessimist. Hahaha. (Mine are incomplete welds.) But they all have worked just fine and the cracks haven't gotten bigger on any of them. Even after splitting red oak. Time will tell!

Here’s a few more I’ve done this year.
2.2 Kelly cruiser on a Ames True Temper handle. Something like a rafting pattern? on a 36” VB swinger. And a 2 1/4 HB on a 26” original handle I think.
ET47x6m.jpg

The cruiser had a lot of damage on the underside from being struck with a hammer and then somehow I managed to break a big chunk off one side. But I didnt give up on it, i TIG welded it back on. Kind of ugly, but I enjoy using it and now it’s my favorite thrower.
Oh, and one more comment, I originally had a 1/4” of handle proud of the eye but ended up trimming the wedge flush. When the axe over rotated and hit head on it would tend to drive the head off handle.
3G8fxAa.jpg

usPjyoM.jpg

HFuYYDg.jpg

eZ6B4fm.jpg

I’m not exactly sure what this is. Looks kind of raftish? Maybe a Collins product?
Has a USM stamp if that means anything. The handle has some interesting grain, and I should probably remove the hump under the poll, I just got lazy I guess. I thought it would be a good splitter but honestly I don’t care for it, the bit is a long tapered wedge, penetrates, but doesn’t split like my maul does.
TgSHCpc.jpg

hoShJPm.jpg

QVbaIK7.jpg

Ic1JAw8.jpg

I’m not exactly sure what this is. Looks kind of raftish? Maybe a Collins product?
Has a USM stamp if that means anything. The handle has some interesting grain, and I should probably remove the hump under the poll, I just got lazy I guess. I thought it would be a good splitter but honestly I don’t care for it, the bit is a long tapered wedge, penetrates, but doesn’t split like my maul does.
TgSHCpc.jpg

hoShJPm.jpg

QVbaIK7.jpg

Ic1JAw8.jpg
i didnt know you could have flame hickory

Here’s a few more I’ve done this year.
2.2 Kelly cruiser on a Ames True Temper handle. Something like a rafting pattern? on a 36” VB swinger. And a 2 1/4 HB on a 26” original handle I think.
ET47x6m.jpg

The cruiser had a lot of damage on the underside from being struck with a hammer and then somehow I managed to break a big chunk off one side. But I didnt give up on it, i TIG welded it back on. Kind of ugly, but I enjoy using it and now it’s my favorite thrower.
Oh, and one more comment, I originally had a 1/4” of handle proud of the eye but ended up trimming the wedge flush. When the axe over rotated and hit head on it would tend to drive the head off handle.
3G8fxAa.jpg

usPjyoM.jpg

HFuYYDg.jpg

eZ6B4fm.jpg

I like this! You've taken a good old axe that needed some love and given it just the love it needed. Now you have a fine little axe for your efforts.

You are well representing the spirit of this forum.

Here's the "superior cast steel" connie. I still have to hone it, i just finished filing it. I'll oil the head with steel wool just to clean it up a tad more. I'm very pleased with it! I wanted to have it down on the shoulder more but the swell was already cracking and splitting and i didn't want to destroy this nice handle. "27 inch snow and neally handle.
fKjiS1e.jpg
YBiV89h.jpg
jtXQqs7.jpg
YfafLpq.jpg
cPXJtfT.jpg
mTjkRpg.jpg
11qHtG7.jpg
ZHEXhai.jpg
g87tXic.jpg

This is only my second Connecticut pattern axe. I wish i knew exactly who made it! It's old i know that. Temper is just about perfect.

Back