What did you rehang today?

Have been being careful not to bottom out the wedges,don’t know if it matters but haven’t had a problem with wedges coming out.
Unless i plan on using a round steel wedge i don't bottom the wood wedge out. I'm getting better at determining wedge thickness and thinning them out enough to go down a ways but not all the way. I like the idea of getting the wedge down in there and pressing against the inside of the eye as much as possible. I believe this is key to a good hang that will last a long time.

This followed me home the other day. It is not an axe but I did hang it! I had a handle from a Plumb Connie that was cracked but I saved the bottom because it just had a perfect palm swell. So I used it to handle this pull saw. Honestly whoever had this before me knew what they were doing. It feels like it was literally just sharpened and the teeth have such a wide set. It tore through some seasoned walnut I had with ease!!

I used some brass rivers instead of the nuts and bolts they had when I got it. I think it turned out good!
I have few old handles around that can’t be rehung, but I also couldnt bring myself to get rid of either. Great idea for a way to reuse a nice old piece of hickory!

And as far as steel wedges go, didn’t most axes come with them from the factory back in the day? I always thought they did.

No. Most axes came with only the wooden wedge until the latter part of the 20th century. I've found many old axes with original factory paint over the top of the eye and grind marks on the wedge that match the grind marks on the top of the eye and no metal wedge.

Have been being careful not to bottom out the wedges,don’t know if it matters but haven’t had a problem with wedges coming out.

You never want to bottom out a wedge. That stops the wedge before it's tight and it will surely back out. Only tightness against the sides of the eye should stop the wedge.

Try adding a little Swel-Lock or DPG to the wedge and kerf just before final assembly.

This followed me home the other day. It is not an axe but I did hang it! I had a handle from a Plumb Connie that was cracked but I saved the bottom because it just had a perfect palm swell. So I used it to handle this pull saw. Honestly whoever had this before me knew what they were doing. It feels like it was literally just sharpened and the teeth have such a wide set. It tore through some seasoned walnut I had with ease!!

I used some brass rivers instead of the nuts and bolts they had when I got it. I think it turned out good!

I like that! Looks like an old Corona saw.

No. Most axes came with only the wooden wedge until the latter part of the 20th century. I've found many old axes with original factory paint over the top of the eye and grind marks on the wedge that match the grind marks on the top of the eye and no metal wedge.
I was thinking that because all but one of the hung axes I’ve picked up have had step wedges, but then again most of them are probably from the later 1900s, and most had probably been rehung before I got them.

This was my twofer axe! I bought it thinking it was only a Townley hardware axe but under the rust i found a legitimus stamp too. Hung on 33" ash.
YD9AgZN.jpg
FYbZ12T.jpg
zVtchRO.jpg
dEhJCUE.jpg
slE7qJ5.jpg
eJuoeSE.jpg

The legitimus stamp
DuiA4Dk.jpg

And the Townley
cy57qGn.jpg

Always a good day to hang an axe!

Hey Nbrackett thats a lovely axe! I also have a True Temper Flint Edge and have been wondering something; I have also seen the exact same thing except with Kelly Works beneath it. Why do some have it and some don't?

Hey Nbrackett thats a lovely axe! I also have a True Temper Flint Edge and have been wondering something; I have also seen the exact same thing except with Kelly Works beneath it. Why do some have it and some don't?
It all has to do with the years they were produced. I’m sure someone with more knowledge than me will help us out here.

Last edited:
I put the head on the handle on the third then sorta lost interest until yesterday. I looked at it and decided the head was too light to be on a 36 inch handle. The eye was kinda small anyway so I figured I would drop the head down to the line as shown below. I forgot to take progress pics but I ended up doing that and taking 3/16 to 1/4 of an inch off each side of the handle and 3/8 from the top part of the handle about like the lines show. 6 hours later this emerged. I'm looking forward to trying it out. Despite the bad omen that "Dare to be Stupid" was playing when I started work on it, it turned out ok. I used the handle on the axe in the last pic as a template. I'm not sure why the handles appear to be tapering in width in the last pic.
IMG-0675.jpg

IMG-0676.jpg

IMG-0702.jpg
IMG-0703.jpg

IMG-0705.jpg

IMG-E0706.jpg

Hey fellow axeaholics! Hung another one. Bought it from €+$y. Price was okay and its a nice axe. Its fun spending a long time on these and gettin em super sharp and ready! Another haft with horrible grain orientation though...
pXDNPzI.jpg
cqx3P97.jpg

zYvU5fr.jpg

You can see a pretty good size poplar in the background. Got hung up and I've been having fun chopping the living daylights out of it!
ktO33PU.jpg
UgNqcXT.jpg
hl8pbyp.jpg

Told ya it was awful grain...
d3HfeKw.jpg

I didn't fell this tree using this axe . just cleaned up the tall stump with it. Have a good one!

I put the head on the handle on the third then sorta lost interest until yesterday. I looked at it and decided the head was too light to be on a 36 inch handle. The eye was kinda small anyway so I figured I would drop the head down to the line as shown below. I forgot to take progress pics but I ended up doing that and taking 3/16 to 1/4 of an inch off each side of the handle and 3/8 from the top part of the handle about like the lines show. 6 hours later this emerged. I'm looking forward to trying it out. Despite the bad omen that "Dare to be Stupid" was playing when I started work on it, it turned out ok. I used the handle on the axe in the last pic as a template. I'm not sure why the handles appear to be tapering in width in the last pic.
IMG-0675.jpg

IMG-0676.jpg

IMG-0702.jpg
IMG-0703.jpg

IMG-0705.jpg

IMG-E0706.jpg

It looks better on that slimmer handle.

Reactions: A17
Back