What did you rehang today?

This is a 2.5lb Flint Edge cruiser on a 28" handle.

IMG_20181023_171159 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20181023_171213 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20181023_171224 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20181023_171233 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20181023_171259 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20181023_171306 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
That’s a nice head, it hasn’t been ground down at all, and a nice deep stamp and not all rusted and pitted! And even though the grain may not be perfect it’s a sweet looking handle with the light and dark.

Little Keen Kutter boys axe. Made handle from a jarrah wood drop. Tough stuff! Wouldn't want to use it on a full size, it's too hard. Long, arrow straight grain. Very hard, and not easy on tools. But I do like it a lot, and will pick up more. It's gorgeous when finished. I use 1:1:1 blo, beeswax, turps a lot.

Attachments

• 20181024_232735-980x2016.jpg
    20181024_232735-980x2016.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 20181025_001111-2016x980.jpg
    20181025_001111-2016x980.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 119
  • 20181025_001348-980x2016.jpg
    20181025_001348-980x2016.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 20181025_200445-980x2016.jpg
    20181025_200445-980x2016.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 37
Little Keen Kutter boys axe. Made handle from a jarrah wood drop. Tough stuff! Wouldn't want to use it on a full size, it's too hard. Long, arrow straight grain. Very hard, and not easy on tools. But I do like it a lot, and will pick up more. It's gorgeous when finished. I use 1:1:1 blo, beeswax, turps a lot.
20181025_001111-2016x980-jpg.1009713

Nice work - I like the swell especially. :thumbsup:

I hope you didn't leave that shelf shown in the first pic under your axe head. If so its likely to break there.

No sir, the shelf was chamfered at approximately 45 degrees before fitting and I left myself about an eighth of an inch between that chamfered edge and the head. I doubt this axe will ever need to be rehung again :)

This Collins is 2.25lb on a 16.5" handle. The handle was hand made from local hickory by a local guy that makes them. He leaves the end long and flat for striking when fitting. I slipped and nicked the swell when cutting the excess off. It's a character mark. ;)

IMG_20181025_172125 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20181025_172152 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20181025_172238 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20181025_172214 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20181025_172219 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20181025_172227 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr

I did this one quite awhile ago but i wanted to share this one with you all. I aqcuired this one a long time ago when i was both leaving wood proud of the axe and i was using "tung oil"(minwax). I did file and sharpen this one a couple days ago. I've been on a Kelly Perfect tear anyway so i might as well keep it going!
eCUwVpu.jpg
XZBZEVL.jpg
3HP39zc.jpg
v5AvBsC.jpg
B7DLde0.jpg

I was also always using steel wedges then too just because i thought you were supposed to. Long before i joined the forum.
VUSwfNv.jpg
CyZblsD.jpg
IlFFQzY.jpg

I think the western is my favorite pattern db. If i had this one to do over again I'd shorten the haft and slim it down a bunch. Hope you are all having a great evening!

I did this one quite awhile ago but i wanted to share this one with you all. I aqcuired this one a long time ago when i was both leaving wood proud of the axe and i was using "tung oil"(minwax). I did file and sharpen this one a couple days ago. I've been on a Kelly Perfect tear anyway so i might as well keep it going!
eCUwVpu.jpg
XZBZEVL.jpg
3HP39zc.jpg
v5AvBsC.jpg
B7DLde0.jpg

I was also always using steel wedges then too just because i thought you were supposed to. Long before i joined the forum.
VUSwfNv.jpg
CyZblsD.jpg
IlFFQzY.jpg

I think the western is my favorite pattern db. If i had this one to do over again I'd shorten the haft and slim it down a bunch. Hope you are all having a great evening!
Nothing wrong with steel wedges, most of the time my wedges back out of things that aren't jerseys, so I slap one of the guys in there and I never have an issue, and with one on a full size eye, you'd be pretty hard pressed to crack a handle

Nothing wrong with steel wedges, most of the time my wedges back out of things that aren't jerseys, so I slap one of the guys in there and I never have an issue, and with one on a full size eye, you'd be pretty hard pressed to crack a handle
I've had a few wood wedges back out on me as well. I still use em on the axes i use the most. I like the round wedges too but i have to make sure my wooden wedge is bottomed out in the kerf.
This was only my second db hang. I wish i had brought it down a lot more on the shoulder and cut the palm swell down a tad and , as i said before, slimmed it down a bunch. All in all its a good hang being that i had no practical experience at the time. Man is this axe sharp... crazy sharp!

eCUwVpu.jpg
XZBZEVL.jpg
3HP39zc.jpg
v5AvBsC.jpg
B7DLde0.jpg

I was also always using steel wedges then too just because i thought you were supposed to. Long before i joined the forum

Awesome. I've got one of those somewhere waiting, that's great motivation to hang it!

eCUwVpu.jpg
XZBZEVL.jpg
3HP39zc.jpg
v5AvBsC.jpg
B7DLde0.jpg

VUSwfNv.jpg
CyZblsD.jpg
IlFFQzY.jpg

Another great hang Josh, no gaps anywhere! And as far as steel wedges go, didn’t most axes come with them from the factory back in the day? I always thought they did.

Another great hang Josh, no gaps anywhere! And as far as steel wedges go, didn’t most axes come with them from the factory back in the day? I always thought they did.
Thank you! As far as i know yes i think most did come with metal wedges. And it does make sense especially from a makers standpoint. An inexpensive metal wedge is good insurance. I don't have any problem using them at all i was just commenting that early on in my collecting i used them on every single hang. Hatchets and all. A couple times now I've been glad i hadn't used them because I've needed to remove the head for one reason or another and it's a heck of a lot easier without the metal wedges in. If i needed to grab one axe and depend on it it'd be one with a cross wedge.

Awesome. I've got one of those somewhere waiting, that's great motivation to hang it!
Look forward to seeing it once you get it hung!!
I have a one car garage that i need to clean out and make a shop in. With heat. I don't have a warm place to do anything now and its really gotten colder fast here in Maine lately. So i can appreciate getting motivation from others posts. Every time i see a nice work bench i think to myself "i really gotta do this"! I'll post it up once i get it ready!

I rehung the smaller two on their original (to me) handles. The one is on it followed me home and the test handle I made for the Merit Mark broke. The other one felt lonely so I included it just 'cause. Something interesting is the fact that all the handles that I have seen on broad hatchets have the "poor" grain alignment. Maybe the old timers knew something we don't...?
IMG-0655.jpg

IMG-0653.jpg
IMG-0654.jpg

IMG-0659.jpg

IMG-0658.jpg

IMG-0657.jpg

Last edited:
This followed me home the other day. It is not an axe but I did hang it! I had a handle from a Plumb Connie that was cracked but I saved the bottom because it just had a perfect palm swell. So I used it to handle this pull saw. Honestly whoever had this before me knew what they were doing. It feels like it was literally just sharpened and the teeth have such a wide set. It tore through some seasoned walnut I had with ease!!

I used some brass rivers instead of the nuts and bolts they had when I got it. I think it turned out good!

Back