What did you rehang today?

Have you seen this pattern before? I haven't, and am scrounging for info.

It makes me think of this and some slightly different permutations but mostly Swedish.
Hults-1.jpg

From a Hults Bruck 1890 catalog from:
http://www.traditional-tools.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Hults-Bruk-1890.pdf

The Finns also had a similar model but its bit sweep is a little different and has a notch.

Wetterlings (1928) maybe:
Wett-1.jpg

Oh thanks! I hadn't seen the Wetterlings model before! That HB catalog is pretty much what I have to go off now. The construction matches the HB drawing pretty much exactly. (But what color paints has Wetterlings used?) I could see it being 50's +/-, but not 1899 or thereabouts. It might be two years old for all I know.

Thank you for replying to my query about the axe haft.
I will hang the 2lb HB head that I have on this handle and hope for the best.
For me it takes a lot of work to hang an axe and I hope that the haft will not break on the first couple of swings :D :D :D.

Oh thanks! I hadn't seen the Wetterlings model before! That HB catalog is pretty much what I have to go off now. The construction matches the HB drawing pretty much exactly. (But what color paints has Wetterlings used?) I could see it being 50's +/-, but not 1899 or thereabouts. It might be two years old for all I know.

I only have one Wetterlings SAW head and it had remnants of a sort of "sky blue" but I think they used several different colors such as another hue of blue, gold, and even something like a deep "forest green". Red was another possibility but I can't find a picture now, it might have been on a foreign auction site and could have been user done without being able to find it.

Was there any hint of paint on yours?

Billnas also made a Vermlannin model. As far as I can tell "Vermlannin" refers to a region in southern Sweden. Yours is likely HB or Wetterlings but this 1928 catalog page is just for the similarly styled pattern:
Luettelo-Billn-s-in-Takeista-1928-Billn-s-01-01-1928-2.jpg

There are remnants of green paint. But, of course, I couldn't tell you if it's original or not. Now throw Bilnas in the mix, lol. Between the three it's a Technicolor quandary.

Nice! The one on the previous page has the original "factory power driven" haft, is that the original haft? Mine is the same 3lber as yours.

It keeps bothering me, that one. As hung, the lower eye is smaller, and the heel side has more arc. But the stamp... It's always gonna bug me. Anyway, I've got a similar one coming with the right left stamp. Lol

Someone had done mine as well, unless factory pressing involved masonry nails and dowels :confused: I had thought it was upside down when i got it, like everyone would. But in spite of the "additions" it was definitely the factory hang.

Eta: It's awesome. Nice light package that chops out of its class

Rehung this little Connie.
RowYDLE.jpg

VIHoZGo.jpg

7AjAVZQ.jpg

sPW4MRG.jpg

G1dIpes.jpg

6smuvoD.jpg

5oFnftk.jpg

One interesting thing I did here was right above the shoulder where I did some filing on the handle to get the axe seated a bit lower.
I used black antiquing wax to get rid of the fresh wood exposed from the file marks. It worked pretty good I’d say!
Beautiful axe! You must be pumped to have that in your collection. Connies are such nice looking axes. Just awesome! I like that you were able to hide the bright spots from fitting it.
I could tell my haft was mechanically driven due to the size of the "shelf" under the eye. It was 3-1/16" on either side and only hydraulics could manage that without totally destroying the swell. I'm surprised that this haft is so flexible.
LXMDW7l.jpg
As you can see the grain orientation is dead opposite from ideal and it's quite thick. Due to the TT stamp on the haft I didn't thin it like I normally do. And it's very comfortable to swing. It's got a big ol palm swell and it's effortless to swing. I just made a simple mask for mine. 15568470505955196958095008339214.jpg Nothing fancy like some people we know! Haha.
Anyway gorgeous connie! And that haft is super nice too.

Thanks YJ! Interesting you should mention the shelf size. That is what I filed down a bit to re-seat it in a slightly new location.
I do not know if refitting it like this was an errant decision or not? It just felt like I could get a tighter or more sturdy hang by biting into some new wood and not sitting it on the same worn shelf.

I’d welcome opinions here, is my thinking way off on that?

I can't stand a loose head so I think you definitely did the right thing. Even with that raven I bought that was on a real nice, possibly original, haft I couldn't help but rehang it properly. It too had a shelf but had been rehung at some point. For me it would have to be a historically important axe for me to leave it alone. I actually have one that for some reason I haven't posted yet. I'll have to do that soon and share it with you guys.

Back